What's new

China should not fear slower growth

eddieInUK

Reaction score
China should not fear slower growth

Both Beijing and the world should adapt to a new normal

“After 30 years of high-speed economic growth, potential productivity in China has dropped.” So said a senior Chinese official, speaking this week. If true, his statement marks the end of a period that has transformed both China and the global economy.

Of course, this is slow growth with Chinese characteristics. The country is still projected to grow by 7.5 per cent this year – far faster than any of the other of the world’s five largest economies. Since China is now the world’s second-largest economy, growth at this pace still implies an enormous addition of both capacity and demand. Talk of a slump in global demand for commodities or luxury goods or cars is premature.
High quality global journalism requires investment. Please share this article with others using the link below, do not cut & paste the article. See our Ts&Cs and Copyright Policy for more detail. Email ftsales.support@ft.com to buy additional rights. China should not fear slower growth - FT.com

In fact, an era of relatively slower growth in China is welcome news – both for the country and the global economy. The government’s previous insistence that it must achieve growth of at least 8 per cent a year betrayed a neurotic insecurity about social unrest. It has also involved increasingly unacceptable environmental and social costs – as anybody breathing the choking Beijing air can testify. President Xi Jinping’s statement last week that “China’s model of development is not sustainable” was a sign of political maturity.

The development model China now needs to modify was overdependent on exports and state-driven infrastructure investment. Recently, it has been fuelled by an excessively rapid rise in credit. In the aftermath of the Great Recession, the west is no longer in a position to absorb an ever-increasing supply of Chinese exports. China must generate more of its own demand. That is why rapidly rising wages for China’s manufacturing workers are good news.

China bears argue that higher pay for factory hands points to an erosion of the country’s competitiveness. In fact, it signals that the fruits of economic growth may now be shared more widely. Chinese workers with more money in their pockets will also mean that China is less dependent on external demand. That, in turn, should lessen the trade tensions that have threatened to provoke protectionism in the west. A China that is no longer obsessed with racking up the fastest growth rate possible should also be able to pay more attention to acute environmental problems.

Handled intelligently, the end of China’s era of “high-speed economic growth” could lead to a greener planet and a more balanced global economy. That is surely to be welcomed.

I think what with the one child policy soon to take some effect, China should move away from low end manufacturing and move to high tech manufacturing, innovation, and other higher end work.

The moment China really raises the wages, other developing countries' cheap stuff may come to china and cost some Chinese jobs, this is why I think China can still be the cheapest labor force if moved to a high scale of production.

IE computers, info tech, designs, the arts, cars, engines, planes, military and so on so fourth.

When this kind of transition is complete I believe China can be considered developed. Though it may take a further 2-3 decades.

I think what with the one child policy soon to take some effect, China should move away from low end manufacturing and move to high tech manufacturing, innovation, and other higher end work.

The moment China really raises the wages, other developing countries' cheap stuff may come to china and cost some Chinese jobs, this is why I think China can still be the cheapest labor force if moved to a high scale of production.

IE computers, info tech, designs, the arts, cars, engines, planes, military and so on so fourth.

When this kind of transition is complete I believe China can be considered developed. Though it may take a further 2-3 decades.

What would be the required GCP per capita for China to be considered "developed"? Do you think its attainable given the massive population?

What would be the required GCP per capita for China to be considered "developed"? Do you think its attainable given the massive population?

According to the definitions, being "developed" requires a per capita nominal GDP over over $10,000 which is attainable in a decade.

However, in order to reach the per capita level of the richer developed countries, well that would take many many decades or some sort of technological leap forward.

The good news is that due to having such a large number of people at low per capita GDP levels, it gives us a lot of room to continue growing.

There is no such thing as a hard landing fear for China ,ever. Actually, its growth is very pleasing and promising.

China has been such a phenomenon and done so much in the past that a relatively decent growth rate of about 6% may also be enough .
Slow growth rate may never come to haunt the Chinese people in the future , i beleive !!
BTW with export being a main criteria in growth i highly doubt that Chinese economy is on the verge of decline provided you dont see tough competitions from countries like Germany , India , Brazil IN THE FUTURE .

its only natural to have slower growth rate as GDP per capita raises, i don't know why this would make the news when its pretty common knowledge

The fear of an economic setback or recession. Of course that's due to the financial craziness in the world. But I bet that the Government draw a plan for that matter.
fear? face the trouble, solve the trouble . where does fear come from?

Damn China only grew 7% last quarter, sky came falling and world stocks nose dived....Eid day for Equity Mafia

The fear of an economic setback or recession. Of course that's due to the financial craziness in the world. But I bet that the Government draw a plan for that matter.
facing an economic setback or recession, first, research and analysis the reasons for the setback or recession, second, take proper measures to solve the problems. why to fear?

Maybe you should have read my post carefully. I understand that the PRC must have a B plan to resort to if it happens. But the problems aren't related to her domestic economy. In other word, These are related to the World economy i.e it's an external issue.
facing an economic setback or recession, first, research and analysis the reasons for the setback or recession, second, take proper measures to solve the problems. why to fear?

Maybe you should have read my post carefully. I understand that the PRC must have a B plan to resort to if it happens. But the problems aren't related to her domestic economy. In other word, These are related to the World economy i.e it's an external issue.
So, China don't fear slower growth, But some other countries fear.:cheers:

So, China don't fear slower growth, But some other countries fear.:cheers:

China doesn't have to fear any damn thing my Sino friend. The West is deadly jealous ,and your Goverment is trying to play them trust me LoL. :rofl:

No seriously,
A sustainable growth is fair and lovely. As I stated early, this is related to the World crisis economic status.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom