What's new

China Planning To Help Tajikistan Protect Afghan Border

pakistani342

Reaction score
Country
United States
hmmm, wonder why? regional connectivity and isolation ?

Article here, excerpts below:

DUSHSANBE -- Tajikistan says China plans to finance and build several outposts for Tajik border guards along the Tajik-Afghan border.

The 1,345-kilometer Tajik-Afghan border is a major concern for Dushanbe, as Afghan drug smugglers regularly clash with Tajik border guards, and Afghan Taliban militants increase their activities along the border.

Border security is imperative and the right of every sovereign nation. Afghanistan has a thousand issues. It goes from civil war to ethnic strife to terrorism and with such a volatile country, the neighbours of the country must create strong border controls. It took pakistan 70 years and a full blown terror war to realize how dangerous open border with afghanistan is. The work being done is quick and effective, yet it requires so much more in so little time that its crazy.

This is good step. Tajikistan has every right to do this.

The afghan govt realizing the volatile nature of the country should support the creation of such border controls which will not only secure the neighbours but also afghanistan. After all they can hunt anti state elements if all borders are controlled.

Afghanistan already occupied by foreigners and now also being surrounded by its neighbours with the tightening of borders with Afghanistan. What lessons are the Afghans learning from these developments?

hmmm, wonder why? regional connectivity and isolation ?

Article here, excerpts below:

DUSHSANBE -- Tajikistan says China plans to finance and build several outposts for Tajik border guards along the Tajik-Afghan border.

The 1,345-kilometer Tajik-Afghan border is a major concern for Dushanbe, as Afghan drug smugglers regularly clash with Tajik border guards, and Afghan Taliban militants increase their activities along the border.

Shows China is getting anxious over Pakistan pet project of Afghan Talis as the instability is directly affecting regions close to China.

The more China feels the heat their Pak proxies the more she will feel invested in the Afghan stability. Time for Pakistan to change course or risk alienating her main patron.

Shows China is getting anxious over Pakistan pet project of Afghan Talis as the instability is directly affecting regions close to China.

The more China feels the heat their Pak proxies the more she will feel invested in the Afghan stability. Time for Pakistan to change course or risk alienating her main patron.
sure China will prefer Afghanistan over Pakistan .......No:o::crazy:? and grapes are sour :blah::blah: you thank less nation with full of hate for Pakistan

sure China will prefer Afghanistan over Pakistan .......No:o::crazy:? and grapes are sour :blah::blah: you thank less nation with full of hate for Pakistan

Reported. Stop quoting me troll, unless you have something concrete to add.

If anything Pakistan has brought in new strategic partners in the shape of Russia and Iran. As you speak right now there are Russian army drills going on In Pakistan. That has never happened before in History. Iran is excited to be part of CPEC .

Russians arriving for 2 weeks.

russia-pak-exercise_650x400_61474622016.jpg

CPEC has started to take off . Chinese Trucks have started coming in numbers .

14369889_10154541627777421_5179270618588731802_n.jpg

Its a great time to be a Pakistani citizen. Its finally realizing its full potential and playing its cards well. :pakistan:

As for alienating cmon man. Most of your posts and predictions about Pakistan have turned out wrong. You think the world is crazy enough to alienate a regional and rising economic power?

If anything Pakistan has brought in new strategic partners in the shape of Russia and Iran. As you speak right now there are Russian army drills going on In Pakistan. That has never happened before in History. Iran is excited to be part of CPEC .

Russians arriving for 2 weeks.

russia-pak-exercise_650x400_61474622016.jpg

CPEC has started to take off . Chinese Trucks have started coming in numbers .

View attachment 338542

Its a great time to be a Pakistani citizen. Its finally realizing its full potential and playing its cards well. :pakistan:

As for alienating cmon man. Most of your posts and predictions about Pakistan have turned out wrong. You think the world is crazy enough to alienate a regional and rising economic power?

There you go, now this is respectful discussion which is how it supposed to be. Trolls take note :P

We can always agree to disagree but trolling should not be tolerated, like the clown just above my posts was a good example.

China is definitely concerned ... but will that cause Pakistan to change course: maybe but unlikely unless something changes in GHQ's thinking or the regional calculus.

I suspect China thinks it is far easier for Afghanistan to comply with Pakistan's demands. Remember China would not want to compete with India for access to Central Asia.

China is definitely concerned ... but will that cause Pakistan to change course: maybe but unlikely unless something changes in GHQ's thinking or the regional calculus.

I suspect China thinks it is far easier for Afghanistan to comply with Pakistan's demands. Remember China would not want to compete with India for access to Central Asia.

Complying with Pakistani demands mean Talis in power in Afghan, China will never accept that. They have actually told to a Pakistani delegation in clear cut terms, no emirates in AFG period.

Another aspect is Chinese military assistance to ANSF in terms of military hardware which are being used to fight Pak proxies.

Lastly CPEC being considered a golden duck in Pakistani circles does bring significant investment but with investment comes influence and thus I see CPEC more of China nudging Pakistan in changing course vis-a-vis Talis and other groups.

Not surprised.

Chinese policy planners have been bluish on Tajikistan for some time now. Tajikistan is far more peaceful than Afghanistan, which is ranked the third most unstable country in the world.

In fact, China has by passed Afghanistan relying instead on CAR. As you can see in the proposed plans attached below, Afghanistan has little to no role. One reason why Ghani has turned to India.

pQlfKXW.jpg

5rgrnof.jpg

Read: China’s assiduous courting of former Soviet Central Asian nations is stirring apprehension among Russia’s leaders (SCMP)

Last edited:
Complying with Pakistani demands mean Talis in power in Afghan, China will never accept that
I agree there with you 100%. I think the days of Taliban ever ruling Afganistan are gone since Musharaf sold them out in 2001.

I think you should know that I essentially conceptualize everything with referance to modern secular nation state and their policies based simply on self interest. In this ideal calculus I pay no regard to religion, sect or ethnic group - although of course I retain my private thoughts and proclivities. This is how the modern world functions. One of the most important thing a state must deliver after security is economic opportunity. A state that fullfils this is succesful. A state that sings ethnic greatness or religious utopia but fails to fullfil this is redundant.

In our region there are two forces - opposing forces that will try to gain ascendancy. They are China and India. Let there be no doubt that Indian's are moving over into US camp but from where I can see Chinese will be a hyperpower within a generation. Does anybody doubt that Central Asia and Af-Pak will not come under absolute Chinese influence? I don't. Just look at the map. China will end up even exerting influence in Africa never mind it's own back yard. I made referance to the effect of magnet on iron filings and how they align up according to the invisible field. This is what is going to happen in this region also over the next generation. India will be squeezed out - simplty because of Chinese economic and military muscle. Power can bring order to chaos.

Complying with Pakistani demands mean Talis in power in Afghan, China will never accept that. They have actually told to a Pakistani delegation in clear cut terms, no emirates in AFG period.

Actually no, the GHQ (to the best of my knowledge) does not want the Taliban in control. There is no dispute on that -- the GHQ does want a zero Indian footprint in Afghanistan -- which I've argued, if Afghans were smart enough would have done without even Pakistan's prodding. China would not object to that either -- they do not want to compete with India in Afghanistan; nor do they want to compete with India in CARs.

What small countries need to understand (this applied to Pakistan vis-a-vis India) is that they cannot choose more than one orbit. For example India did very well being non-aligned during the cold war -- Pakistan however could not do that -- still cannot easily do that. Afghanistan is a very weak country: Daud Khan (Shaheed) tried to light a Russian cigar with an American match: the rest is history.

Another aspect is Chinese military assistance to ANSF in terms of military hardware which are being used to fight Pak proxies.

Yes but that has no relevance here -- nobody wants a collapse of the Afghan Government.

From a GHQ perspective, it looks like the order of priority is:
1. Heavily Aligned Pakistan/Afghanistan [zero India presence -- free trade, travel, other common mechanisms of statehood] -- Most Desired
2. Insulated Weak Afghanistan -- Fallback option
3. Disintegrated Afghan state -- not desired at all
4. Pro India Afghanistan -- least desirable state

Lastly CPEC being considered a golden duck in Pakistani circles does bring significant investment but with investment comes influence and thus I see CPEC more of China nudging Pakistan in changing course vis-a-vis Talis and other groups.

See above CPEC is viable with an insulated Afghanistan -- which you can see the GHQ has already putting in the works. The fences, minefields, trenches will accomplish that. Not desired but livable.

If Pakistan was *control* over Afghan foreign policy Afghan can demand similar *control* -- Imagine if Karzai has chosen to downgrade relations with India and tried to position Afghanistan as a hub excluding India for 20 years -- where would we be. Mollah Omar would have died a teacher at an obscure seminary -- you would have mini-Dubai's dotted across Afghanistan/Pakistan.

The GHQ may be dull but Afghan statecraft is nothing short of stupid.

Not surprised.

Chinese policy planners have been bluish on Tajikistan for some time now. Tajikistan is far more peaceful than an Afghanistan, which is ranked the third most unstable country in the world.

In fact, China has by passed much of Afghanistan relying instead on CAR. One reason why Ghani has turned to India

48nRjxe.jpg

Read: China’s assiduous courting of former Soviet Central Asian nations is stirring apprehension among Russia’s leaders (SCMP)

mmm very good point this makes sense -- @A-Team -- very good point -- I was wondering why Ghani is not going on red-carpets to Bejing. Perhaps the deal the Chinese are offering isn't all that great.

One would wonder why China has not outdone India on the $1 billion dollars.

One would wonder why China has not outdone India on the $1 billion dollars.
Indian's will lose every dollar, I assure you. The Chinese tend to look over the long term. Their frame of referance is new few decades. For now they are working on rising higher and higher. Work on the easy options which are.

1. Central Asia
2. Pakistan.

Once this has been saturated then they will easily clasp Afghanistan from India. With the huge footprint they will have in the region down the road Afghanistan will fall in their order - by that stage US presence will have been vacated.

Indian's will lose every dollar, I assure you. The Chinese tend to look over the long term. Their frame of referance is new few decades. For now they are working on rising higher and higher. Work on the easy options which are.

1. Central Asia
2. Pakistan.

Once this has been saturated then they will easily clasp Afghanistan from India. With the huge footprint they will have in the region down the road Afghanistan will fall in their order - by that stage US presence will have been vacated.

I don't think India will loose her dollars -- India dollars are strategic investment to tie up and bleed Pakistan -- which I think India has been very successful at.

Back
Top Bottom