What's new

China-Pak N-cooperation needs NSG approval: US

daredevil

BANNED
Reaction score
China-Pak N-cooperation needs NSG approval: US
21 Nov 2008, 1727 hrs IST, PTI

WASHINGTON: The US has asked China to halt its plan to construct two more nuclear reactors in Pakistan and indicated that any new Sino-Pak cooperation in the atomic field would require "consensus" approval from the NSG, a "difficult" to achieve.

"Although Pakistan's energy needs are real and increasing, we believe Pakistan's proliferation record would make NSG consensus difficult were China to request an exception," State Department Assistant Secretary for Legislative Affairs Matthew Reynolds said in a letter to Democrat Congressman from Massachusetts, Edward J Markey.

Reynolds said Washington has already communicated its "position clearly" to Islamabad and Beijing that the proposed cooperation between the two countries to construct two more nuclear reactors in Pakistan should not move forward.

"We have communicated our position clearly to our Chinese and Pakistani interlocutors at multiple levels in Washington, Beijing, and Islamabad, and have made plain our view that proposed cooperation on Chasma III and IV should not move forward.

The US position is that cooperation on the construction of two new reactors, Chasma III and IV, would be inconsistent with the commitments China made at the time of its adherence to Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG) guidelines in 2004.

"We also have been in contact with other NSG members, a number of whom have expressed similar concern at the recent reports," the State Department said in the letter, which was made public today.

Reynolds also said that the US has sought and continue to seek clarification from Islamabad and Beijing on this matter.

Markey has been a vocal critic of the Indo-US civil nuclear deal, arguing that Washington's atomic cooperation with New Delhi will send wrong signals to China and Pakistan.

This October, Markey had written the secretary of state Condoleezza Rice, expressing concerns on cooperation between China and Pakistan.

Following Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari's October trip to Beijing, senior Pakistani officials have announced that Beijing and Islamabad had agreed to expand bilateral civil nuclear cooperation at the Chasma complex, to include the construction of two additional reactors.

"We have sought and continue to seek clarification from Islamabad and Beijing on this matter. In our discussions, both Pakistan and China have defended their long and well- known civil nuclear cooperation," the senior State Department official told Markey.

"Both countries have also affirmed that any new China- Pakistan cooperation would be conducted under International Atomic Energy Agency safeguards and would be consistent with their international commitments," he added.

In 2004, China's representatives detailed in a statement China's ongoing nuclear cooperation with Pakistan that would be "grandfathered" upon China's adherence; nothing in that statement permitted construction of reactors beyond Chasma I and II, the senior US official maintained.

Meanwhile, Markey in a statement asked China not to violate its international obligations by selling new nuclear reactors to Pakistan.

"The United States has clearly stated that such a sale would be against international nonproliferation rules, and I hope other countries stand up to deliver the same message."

"Pakistan is responsible for more nuclear proliferation than any other single country; nuclear cooperation is off the table" he said

If they would have got, China would have pushed for it already. They knew what would be the result.

It will be a difficult taks under Obama since he'll be pushing for a global implementaion of CTBT which Pakistan has refused to sign. :coffee:

"Pakistan is responsible for more nuclear proliferation than any other single country; nuclear cooperation is off the table" he said

And we are damn proud of it too. We did what we had to. I doubt all of the American concerns really matter that much when it comes to China-Pakistan dealing bi-laterally. Also what is the NSG going to do? Punish China and lose out on more money and opportunities for their own local industry?

For China, helping Pakistan out is becoming a strategic imperative. I don't think the Chinese are going about this in a manner where some concern by third tiered official at the state dept or even some concern in the Congress (right after India has been granted a carte-blanch) will have any impact on what Pakistan and China are planning on. Also punishing Pakistan for something in the past is counter productive. Pakistan obviously would be more careful in the future and has legitimate requirements for energy and power generation.

But why Pakistan refuses to sign CTBT? ;)

Because we're not just ready yet to call a full comprehensive test ban. Nuclear designs need further testing, higher yield and addition of H and N bombs wich requires real time testing for data collection.

And ofcourse its CTBT is out of question as long as India refuses to sign.

But why Pakistan refuses to sign CTBT? ;)

Because India doesn't sign it. At some point of time in future, India is going to do a nuclear test (to check the parameters, for further simulations, to check the war heads etc). It will be followed by Pakistan. So, as long as India doesn't sign CTBT, pakistan wouldn't sign.

Last edited:
If it was not for AQ Khan fiasco, probably pakistan would have got it, IMO.

AQ Khan is indeed a black chapter that will haunt us for another few decades but I sincerely believe that countries opposing a nuclear Pakistan would come up with other excuses to deny us justice even with clean record. The world is just not ready to accept a muslim nuclear power yet. :coffee:

And we are damn proud of it too. We did what we had to. I doubt all of the American concerns really matter that much when it comes to China-Pakistan dealing bi-laterally. Also what is the NSG going to do? Punish China and lose out on more money and opportunities for their own local industry?

For China, helping Pakistan out is becoming a strategic imperative. I don't think the Chinese are going about this in a manner where some concern by third tiered official at the state dept or even some concern in the Congress (right after India has been granted a carte-blanch) will have any impact on what Pakistan and China are planning on. Also punishing Pakistan for something in the past is counter productive. Pakistan obviously would be more careful in the future and has legitimate requirements for energy and power generation.

On one hand you say that Pakistan is "proud" of its proliferation, and on the other hand you give promises of being more careful in the future.

Aren't you sending mixed signals?

AQ Khan is indeed a black chapter that will haunt us for another few decades but I sincerely believe that countries opposing a nuclear Pakistan would come up with other excuses to deny us justice even with clean record. The world is just not ready to accept a muslim nuclear power yet. :coffee:

Why bring in 3rd dimension ? If you already know CTBT and Proliferation are the other two dimension.

I suggested Pakistan may get approval only because if it could make use of change of leadership in US and also with Chinese support.

I always thought Pakistan would get NSG waiver as the NSG Pandora box is open and NSG was formed only because of India.

CTBT question was only meant for Neo, And I got the reply. :)

Both nations can sign it together , both the NPT and CTBT that is.

On one hand you say that Pakistan is "proud" of its proliferation, and on the other hand you give promises of being more careful in the future.

Aren't you sending mixed signals?

We did what we had to. Its as simple as that. In the future, if there are concerns, put oversight on the dealings and exchange of technology and materials to Pakistan but let the exchange happen. What is the world punishing Pakistan for? Its quite illogical as whatever has happened with proliferation is a thing of the past. Its almost useless to dig up the proliferation issues of the past as most great powers of the day have meddled in quite a bit of it.

Additionally, its counter-productive to continue to harp about a past dealing and that too to muzzle the Pakistani nuclear weapons program (something that they have tried to do for 30 years and have not succeeded) and now everyone knows it can't happen any longer.

So If they have such heartburn over not trusting Pakistan, then we will go the other way. Lets see what they can do to stop China and Pakistan from dealing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom