What's new

China losing leverage on Japan as rare earth metal exports decline

^^^^ So, in other words, China is unhappy to sacrifice it's environment for Japan's benefit.

But, China is extremely happly to sacrifice it's environment for Korea's benefit.

We are happy seeing an enemy suffer for what they have done to our nation. So the answer in this regard is a resounding "yes".
The Japanese will be happy seeing their rivals, the South Koreans, replace them on hi-tech exports? :lol:

End of the day, Chinese would be happier buying tech from the South Koreans than putting our redbacks into them Japanese pockets. :lol:

^^^ Good. But there is always an implication.

And now you imply, that China is happy to destroy it's environment, if it helps in hurting Japan.

And, the your answer is a resounding "yes". :tup:

^^^ Good. But there is always an implication.

And now you imply, that China is happy to destroy it's environment, if it helps in hurting Japan.

And, the your answer is a resounding "yes". :tup:

I hope you are aware that China have already modified and applied a new quota on rare earth exports. Reducing Japan's and the rest of the world whilst upping the South Koreans a notch wouldn't make too much of a difference. Mind you, India, despite the mess that they are in, are willfully offering the destruction of their beautiful environment.

India Bets on Rare-Earth Minerals - WSJ.com

NEW DELHI—India has embarked on an ambitious plan to increase its output of rare-earth minerals used in electronics manufacturing at a time when the world's largest producer, China, has tightened its own exports of the minerals.

China accounts for about 95% of the global output of rare-earth minerals, which are used in a range of electronic equipment from cellphone batteries to flat-screen television sets, in defense equipment and clean-energy technologies.

Props to India :azn:

I don't get it rare earth metals are not even rare. Why not get them from others?

I don't get it rare earth metals are not even rare. Why not get them from others?

Because other countries have much stronger environmental standards than China.

That said, Australia and US have uninhabited lands and can produce (Though, they still apply much higher environmental standards than China).

They tried but they all failed to price match or beat China.

Buying from others will result in the hiking up of prices on hi-tech electronic goods. Something Japan cannot afford to do, especially in our present economic climate and when it's recieving stiff competition from South Korea, who is getting cheaper access to them.

Because other countries have much stronger environmental standards than China.

That said, Australia and US have uninhabited lands and can produce (Though, they still apply much higher environmental standards than China).

and you are implying that India is willing to lower its standards in order to match China? :lol:

Extraction involves pollution in the mining, onsite processing, and refining phase. Mines create environmental degradation through topsoil loss, poorly controlled tailings ponds that leach into groundwater as well as lakes and rivers, roads slicing through habitat, and the use of large amounts of energy to extract and process the materials they uncover. Some rare earth metals require substantial processing, and that provides a number of opportunities for pollution at every step of the way.

The hard physical labour and exposure to pollution also make it hard to find workers. Mine locations are determined by deposits in the earth's crust, but workforces can be imported, if necessary, if a facility is located in a region where no locals are willing to work in a mine. Mining is hot, dirty work and it comes with few labour protections in some regions.

Care to elaborate?
I am sure readers here would love to hear the reason behind India's willingness to ruin its own landscape.

So, in other words you believe that India will beat China, in this?

Thanks for your optimism .... unfortunately, in India it's not as easy as pasting an eviction notice on anyone's door:

"Your land has been designated for rare-earth mining. Please collect your compensation from CPC office. Good Luck for your future life".

Care to elaborate?
I am sure readers here would love to hear the reason behind India's willingness to ruin its own landscape.

Thanks for your optimism .... unfortunately, in India it's not as easy as pasting an eviction notice on anyone's door:

"Your land has been designated for rare-earth mining. Please collect your compensation from CPC office. Good Luck for your future life".

^^^^ So, in other words, China is unhappy to sacrifice it's environment for Japan's benefit.

But, China is extremely happly to sacrifice it's environment for Korea's benefit.

not as much as India happly to let those low class people starve to die in order to make foreign arm dealers happy```life is so cheap in India``and you are really cheap too

B]

lol``your fedual government dont have to give out eviction``just stop giving food to them``and they will move to the slums

Give yourself a pat in the back. Your government, elected by yourselves, agrees with you. Hence they embarked on this project. They want to match Chinese standard and ruin its landscape. Lets hope you receive enough orders in the process of doing so.

Don't thank me, thank yourself for electing your government who thinks in the same line as you do. :lol:

India Bets on Rare-Earth Minerals - WSJ.com

NEW DELHI—India has embarked on an ambitious plan to increase its output of rare-earth minerals used in electronics manufacturing at a time when the world's largest producer, China, has tightened its own exports of the minerals.

And its coming to a land near you.

Hope they generate enough to reinvest into sanitations, meeting peoples needs. :rolleyes:

And its coming to a land near you.

Is it?

Place the proposition in front of Mamta Banerjee.. she wants to think 1000 times to allowing a nuclear plant or a car factory.

Frankly, despite all your optimism.... rare earth projects are unlikely to make much headway in India, and when they do .... people are going to insist environmental standards tougher than western world. (you might consider it a fallacy, but it is so!).

Anyway, given the volume of decline seen (from 74,000 tonnes to 10,000 tonnes from China)....perhaps the world is on it's way to reduce the importance of rare earths, by discovering alternatives.

I agree, which some of your mates happiness ... china reduces the environmental impact by more than 80% when exports reduces from 74,000 tonnes to 10,000 tonnes ... even though it's an economic loss of $ 5,000 per tonne.

clueless cheerleading Indians as usual```we are more than be happy of this news``rare earth is a national strategic asset, vital to high tech sector, and sadly huge environmental effect

Where did you found Indian's cheering in this thread or is it your catch phrase? :lol:.

These steps which Japan is taking are the beginning of tectonic shift in Japanese trade policy.

Back
Top Bottom