What's new

China leaves India behind, heads towards first world

During industrialization, democracy is the last thing you need. Too many voices slowing and stopping progress. You need democracy once you have fully industrialized and you want to lock up your gains. Every major country has started off having very little democracy and once they have fully developed, they have given more choice to the people. India's pace of development will be painfully slow due to its political system. China will only increase the lead over India.
This is why India will never get ahead of China, the Indian system has too many voices and many voices mean tough decisions are slow or don't ever get done.

China don't have democracy but why do I need to vote when my country is getting stronger and my standard of living is improving. I could care less about voting. As long as I have food, water, shelter, education, job, wife and entertainment, I will not care one iota about who is running China. If I don't get those things, then I will care. Right now, the Chinese government has been giving everything I listed including national rejuvenation and pride of being Chinese as China is becoming important in the world.

Mistake,after a while there is stagnation,a perpetual lead is impossible achieve.Its inevitable for all,china isn't immune to this law.Especially if its system is autocratic its more vulnerable to stryfe.

this article is a joke.

Russia GDP per capita 15000

China GDP per capita 5000

Russia is still a emerging economy. How the hell China becomes first world economy.

China can be called a first world economy only when its GDP per capita is 20000+

Then Singapre would be undisputed first world along with some other small countries which you may not even know they exist.

China has hardly left the starting block。

Even for the famed HSR network,the work is not nearly 1/3 done。

The metro networks for the country's top-50 cities are about 1/5 done。

There are hundreds of towns and cities which need be built anew in the next 15-20 years。

The economic rebalancing and restructuring that are under way will last at least 10 years,transforming China into the world's leading country of innovation、science and technology at the end。

And in about 30 years from now,Chinese culture will prevail and dominate。:china:

China has hardly left the starting block。

Even for the famed HSR network,the work is not nearly 1/3 done。

The metro networks for the country's top-50 cities are about 1/5 done。

There are hundreds of towns and cities which need be built anew in the next 15-20 years。

The economic rebalancing and restructuring that are under way will last at least 10 years,transforming China into the world's leading country of innovation、science and technology at the end。

And in about 30 years from now,Chinese culture will prevail and dominate.

Last statement is the most humorous one in the entire post. :laugh:

even fall we will be still in the first world,you are so low down there at the bottom,virtually beyond everyone's reach.

By HDI standards China is better off than India but you guys are no switzerland in fact far from it sorry but I wouldn't want to live in a place where i can disappear for simply expressing a valid opinion. but then again I wouldn't want to live in a place that feces all over the place because of the lack of toilets so I would have to choose the former

Then Singapre would be undisputed first world along with some other small countries which you may not even know they exist.

Singapore's per capita income is because of its open economy, such that 40% of the population is expat ... which earn significantly higher incomes.

Indians are the largest source country constituting 22% of the expats in Singapore, employed mostly in the financial services and information technology industries.

Since the incomes are so skewed in favour of expats (i.e. the ones on employments pass, not work permit), which makes the actual incomes of Singaporeans much lower ... many of them are essentially living off "house rent" paid by expats.

By HDI standards China is better off than India but you guys are no switzerland in fact far from it sorry but I wouldn't want to live in a place where i can disappear for simply expressing a valid opinion. but then again I wouldn't want to live in a place that feces all over the place because of the lack of toilets so I would have to choose the former

A word of caution, for you.

A recent media item, dated 23-jun-2013:

http://www.omantribune.com/index.php?page=news&id=146976&heading=Asia

I think way too many people are dismissing Mao's economic achievement, especially his work in infrastructures and education. To understand China's economic success in Deng's time, you have to first understand what did Mao leave Deng with.

There are several fundamental requirements for a nation to build a solid economy:
1. Food Security: Industry comes from the surplus population that is freed from agricultural obligation. This means the nation must be able to adequately feed its citizens before serious industry activities can take place. From later half of the 19th century until the finding of PRC in 1949, there is constant famine in China. In fact, famines from 1912 (the fall of Qing dynasty) to 1949 (finding of PRC) are not very heavily reported because it is a constants rather than unique event. So how big was the famine before finding of PRC, well, the AVERAGE death rate from 1912 to 1949 is significantly higher than 1959, the worst and only famine in PRC history. It is no wonder why China could not build a modern industry in those times. Now, when talking about Mao's era, people often talk about the famine from 1959 to 1961. This is a good example that industrialization is interrupted due to food scarcity. The link below shows food production in China from 1950 to 2008:
´ÓÐÂÖйúÀúÄêÁ¸Ê³²úÁ¿Í³¼Æ±í˵Ã÷ʲô£¿¡¡|ÈËÃñ¹«Éç - ÖйúÎĸïÑо¿Íø
The fact is, the only famine in PRC history happened in Mao's era and it is in Mao's era China achieved food security.
2. Well educated work force: Population is a double edged sword. Handled properly, it will be force that make you rise to greatness, but handled badly, it will be the downfall of your nation. For a nation to prosper, the population must productive. This means two things: social stability and work productivity. The former mainly concerns with issues like crime, terrorist, racial/religious conflict, etc. While Mao did do quite a bit work in these categories, the foundations were already there in Chinese culture thousands of years before hand, so we won't go into those. Now, the work productivity depends on three things, work ethics, total number of workers available and level of education. Chinese are pretty much workaholics throughout the history. Though to be fair, in this aspect Deng does have a better idea to motivate people than Mao. The other two, however, are mainly Mao's work. To increase the labor force available, Mao heavily promoted gender equality. In fact, throughout PRC history, China has one of the highest employment rate for women in the world. The second is education. In 1949, 80% of the total Chinese population and 95% of the peasants population are illiterate. (Illiteracy by Chinese standard is recognizing less than 1500 characters, which is the number of words required to read newspapers, simple books and write simple reports) By 1982, where Deng's reform started, the illiteracy rate has dropped to 34.49%.
3. Infrastructure to support modern industries: electricity, transportation, machinery, metal production, fuel.
Chinese power production by year can be seen here:
??????? - ?? - ?
Chinese total road and railroad length by year:
??··**|? - ???
Chinese petroleum production by year (In comparison with US, USSR/Russia):
1955-2009????(?)??????_????_?????--??????--????????
Make no mistake, Deng is very good at what he did and Chinese economy truly took off under his leadership, but every tool he needed to achieve that goal was built by Mao.

The Chinese methods of economic success is studied and imitated by quite a few nations in the world, but you can't not simply call it Deng's success, because without Mao's work and achievements, Deng's work cannot happen. Quite a few countries try to skip Mao's stage (because it is bloody difficult) and jump straight to Deng's stage. They crashed and burned for their effort, because without you can't build the house without laying the foundation first.

First world? Well, I think we still have some distance on average.

Well the author flattered China a bit too much. China is far from 1st world country. Most importantly, lots of people from rural and inner lands that move to cities still retain some of the attributes more suitable for rural life. When people born in late 80s and 90s grow up and take over the country, China might be completely different.

Back
Top Bottom