What's new

China has now become the biggest risk to the world economy

mltr

New Recruit

Reaction score
Far from taking over as the engine of growth from an exhausted West, China is making matters worse. Its "beggar-thy-neighbour" policies continue to play havoc with global trade and risk tipping the world into a second leg of the Great Recession.
"The inherent problems of the international economic system have not been fully addressed," said China's president Hu Jintao. Indeed not. China is still exporting overcapacity to the rest of us on a grand scale, with deflationary consequences.

While some fret about liquidity-driven inflation, Justin Lin, World Bank chief economist, said the greater danger is that record levels of idle plant almost everywhere will feed a downward spiral of job cuts and corporate busts. "I'm more worried about deflation," he said.
By holding the yuan to 6.83 to the dollar to boost exports, Beijing is dumping its unemployment abroad – "stealing American jobs", says Nobel laureate Paul Krugman. As long as China does it, other tigers must do it too.

Western capitalists are complicit, of course. They rent cheap workers and cheap plant in Guangdong, then lobby Capitol Hill to prevent Congress doing anything about it. This is labour arbitrage.

At some point, American workers will rebel. US unemployment is already 17.5pc under the broad "U6" gauge followed by Barack Obama. Realty Track said that 332,000 properties were foreclosed in October alone. More Americans have lost their homes this year than during the entire decade of the Great Depression. A backlog of 7m homes is awaiting likely seizure by lenders. If you are not paying attention to this political time-bomb, perhaps you should.

President Obama said before going to China this week that Asia can no longer live by shipping goods to Americans already in debt to their ears. "We have reached one of those rare inflection points in history where we have the opportunity to take a different path," he said. Failure to take that path will "put enormous strains" on America's ties to China. Is that a threat?

It is fashionable to talk of America as the supplicant. That misreads the strategic balance. Washington can bring China to its knees at any time by shutting markets. There is no symmetry here. Any move by Beijing to liquidate its holdings of US Treasuries could be neutralized – in extremis – by capital controls. Well-armed sovereign states can do whatever they want.

If provoked, the US has the economic depth to retreat into near autarky (with NAFTA) and retool its industries behind tariff walls – as Britain did in the 1930s under Imperial Preference. In such circumstances, China would collapse. Mao statues would be toppled by street riots.

Mr Hu sounded conciliatory last week. China is taking "vigorous" steps to cut reliance on exports, still 39pc of GDP. "We want to increase people's ability to spend," he said.

Beijing is indeed boosting pensions and extending health insurance to the countryside so that people feel less need to save, but cultural revolutions take time. All we have seen so far are "baby steps", says Morgan Stanley's Stephen Roach.

The reality is that much of Beijing's $600bn stimulus has been spent building yet more plant and infrastructure so that China can ship yet more goods, or has leaked into property and stocks.

Credit has exploded. Allocated by Maoist bosses for political purposes, it has become absurd. China is rolling as much steel as the next eight producers combined. It is churning more cement than the rest of the world. Fixed investment is up 53pc this year. Once you know that Hunan authorities have torn down two miles of modern flyway so that they can soak up stimulus by building it again, or that the newly-built city of Ordos is sitting empty in Inner Mongolia, you know what must come next.

Pivot Asset Management said lending has touched 140pc of GDP, "well beyond" levels that have led to crises in the past. With the revolution's 60th birthday out of the way, the central bank has begun to tighten. New yuan loans halved in October. So be careful. Pivot said a hard-landing in China could prove as traumatic for world markets as the US sub-prime crash.

The world economy is still skating on thin ice. The West is sated with debt, the East with plant. The crisis has been contained (or masked) by zero rates and a fiscal blast, trashing sovereign balance sheets. But the core problem remains. The Anglo-sphere and Club Med are tightening belts, yet Asia is not adding enough demand to compensate. It is adding supply.

My view is that markets are still in denial about the structural wreckage of the credit bubble. There are two more boils to lance: China's investment bubble; and Europe's banking cover-up. I fear that only then can we clear the rubble and, very slowly, start a fresh cycle.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/comment/ambroseevans_pritchard/6575883/China-has-now-become-the-biggest-risk-to-the-world-economy.html

I couldn't find any reason that can explain indians' fear about the so-called crisis in China. As the proletarian in the world, india has nothing more to lose.

^^^^^^

The article is written by a European.....available on UK news site...how came the it highlights Indian concerns...

Oh I get it...anything said about China...that does not taste good...has to be Indian .....right.

but posted by an indian flag right?
Don't care who wrote it, I just believe it is fare for all of us to enjoy its 'taste', If I had to.

It is fashionable to talk of America as the supplicant. That misreads the strategic balance. Washington can bring China to its knees at any time by shutting markets. There is no symmetry here. Any move by Beijing to liquidate its holdings of US Treasuries could be neutralized – in extremis – by capital controls. Well-armed sovereign states can do whatever they want.

Won't capital controls simply result in the massive loss of confidence in anything american including the dollar? There are actually less dollars in circulation in the US than outside it. Surely Any such moves are going to cause the dollar to hit rock bottom.

And what are americans going to where if they stop importing from china? Where are they going to get their tires and pvc pipes :D

Won't capital controls simply result in the massive loss of confidence in anything american including the dollar? There are actually less dollars in circulation in the US than outside it. Surely Any such moves are going to cause the dollar to hit rock bottom.

And what are americans going to where if they stop importing from china? Where are they going to get their tires and pvc pipes :D

Make them? After all when the only things China produced were cheep plastic toys and rice the US was prosperous. OK people might no longer have 50inch plasmas in every room and 10 pairs of nikes if america threw up the trade walls but neither would the economy colapse.

Make them? After all when the only things China produced were cheep plastic toys and rice the US was prosperous. OK people might no longer have 50inch plasmas in every room and 10 pairs of nikes if america threw up the trade walls but neither would the economy colapse.

Well the economy nearly collapsed because US banks gave loans to people who didn't deserve them. If capital controls were enforced the US economy would collapse because US banks gave loans to companies that DID deserve them :D All those american corporates that produce nothing but import everything from china would suddenly face a massive shortage of cash! Trade is a two way street. Americans don't produce anything only market and sell stuff. The impact would be widespread and systemic.

China is world top exporter! How can it be world top exporter if it produced only plastic toys?

As far as i know, India top trading partner is China. India sold raw material to China.

if you fear the bubbles in china, then dont try to do any business with china, because you are going to augment the size of bubbles, so let the other adventurers get the first advantageous inroads into future superpower before you do.

I do agree with your point, but the article say's something that worries me!!

China is world top exporter! How can it be world top exporter if it produced only plastic toys?

As far as i know, India top trading partner is China. India sold raw material to China.

You missed the word WHEN, 40 years ago that was the situation, gradually china upped its products and america lost its jobs till we have the situation that everything in wall mart is made in china.

It would hurt the US and it would take ages to restructure but i belive they can do it. When the **** hits the fan and americans realise it, it is amazing what they can do.

I think it is rather silly that people are fighting over an economic article written by a columnist.

Yes, world might suffer, but Chinese government runs its business for China and not for the world. I dont understand why cant China can keep its currency undervalued and keep its growth. Eventually, it will be pressured to raise or risk facing economic barriers, but as long as the game goes and China benefits!

I think it is rather silly that people are fighting over an economic article written by a columnist.

Yes, world might suffer, but Chinese government runs its business for China and not for the world. I dont understand why cant China can keep its currency undervalued and keep its growth. Eventually, it will be pressured to raise or risk facing economic barriers, but as long as the game goes and China benefits!

I agree. China is just doing what it thinks is best for China. If we in the USA are unhappy with this behavior then it is up to us to MAKE China change. We only show weakness by begging China to take pity on us.

I have faith in the American people that when push comes to shove, and it will, they will do what is necessary to protect the American economy from Chinese rapaciousness. Actually, I think China will live to regret holding so many US dollars. A low US dollar value only hurts me if I have to buy things from foreigners. I am now 64 years old. For the first 2/3 of my life, I bought nothing from foreigners except French wine and cheese. Now, I wouldn't even have to buy French wine and I can do without Roquefort. Americans could easily make anything they need here in the good old USA, including energy and LCD TV's. So, I think the Chinese should be careful what they wish for......

I agree. China is just doing what it thinks is best for China. If we in the USA are unhappy with this behavior then it is up to us to MAKE China change. We only show weakness by begging China to take pity on us.

I have faith in the American people that when push comes to shove, and it will, they will do what is necessary to protect the American economy from Chinese rapaciousness. Actually, I think China will live to regret holding so many US dollars. A low US dollar value only hurts me if I have to buy things from foreigners. I am now 64 years old. For the first 2/3 of my life, I bought nothing from foreigners except French wine and cheese. Now, I wouldn't even have to buy French wine and I can do without Roquefort. Americans could easily make anything they need here in the good old USA, including energy and LCD TV's. So, I think the Chinese should be careful what they wish for......

I believe in America and its capacities. I dont know why you seem disappointed. Once the recession is over, US is tighten the strings and force China to raise its currency value. China might in return want yen to be made as one of the relevant currencies to trade with which I am sure Americans and Europeans would disagree.

US has printed lot of money and if we turn the economy around in next two years (yes, I think that is how long it will take!), we are going good. You might point me to Gold value, but my response Gold is not only a value holding utility, it is considered as a commodity in some countries in India (24% of world's annual gold production is consumed here) and China. These countries have become more wealthy compared to a decade before and hence the value of gold.

Once deflation risks are countered, the velocity of dollar will make dollar less valuable than what it is today. May be 2.5 trillion dollars what China holds is actually worth only 2 trillion, still a large sum!

US is a great country. American got too contented with their life. A kick in the *** will wake American up.

Chinese knew the capabilities of the American!

Back
Top Bottom