What's new

China Dominates the World TOP500 Supercomputers

http://www.nextplatform.com/2016/06/20/look-inside-chinas-chart-topping-new-supercomputer/

actually this supercomputer is really efficent compared to anything today

3x more efficent than Tianhe-2

sunwayCooling.png

very interesting approach by China :pop:

Software

商业软件资源 (software for business)
软件类别 软件名称 软件描述
求解器

ANSYS.Fluent 计算流体力学分析软件
ANSYS.CFX 计算流体力学分析软件
STAR-CD 计算流体力学分析软件
STAR-CCM+ 计算流体力学分析软件
ABAQUS 计算流体力学分析软件
LS-DYNA CFD计算流体力学分析软件
Radioss 计算流体力学分析软件
VCS 快速碰撞分析软件
ANSYS.Multiphysics 计算流体力学分析软件
MSC.NASTRAN 计算流体力学分析软件
FEKO 高频电磁场分析软件
Ansoft HFSS 三维电磁场仿真软件
Madymo 多体动力学分析软件
OptiStruct 结构力学分析和优化软件
Comet 多学科流程自动化软件

前后处理

MSC.PATRAN 有限元前/后处理软件
HyperMesh 有限元前/后处理软件
ICEM-CFD CFD前后处理软件
ANSA 有限元前/后处理软件
AI*ENVIRONMENT CAE前后处理软件
Tecplot CAE后处理软件
GAMBIT 计算流体力学前处理软件

科学计算软件资源(software for science)

软件名称 软件描述

WRF 中尺度天气预报模式
OpenFOAM 流体力学软件
Gaussian 量子化学计算软件
ABINIT 计算化学软件
NWChem 计算化学软件
Q-Chem 计算化学软件
CP2K 材料科学软件
CPMD 材料科学软件
VASP 材料科学软件
AMBER 计算生物学软件
GROMACS 计算生物学软件
LAMMPS 计算生物学软件
NAMD 计算生物学软件
DOCK 分子对接程序
BLAST 序列相似性检索程序

I used to be a heavy user of the CAE (Computer Aided Engineering) software listed, e.g. Ansys, Abaqus, LS-DYNA, Patran, Hypermesh. But I could only perform these softwares on some very slow PCs. I still remember the days when some very basic/simple calculation would cost me no less than 16hours!

I used to be a heavy user of the CAE (Computer Aided Engineering) software listed, e.g. Ansys, Abaqus, LS-DYNA, Patran, Hypermesh. But I could only perform these softwares on some very slow PCs. I still remember the days when some very basic/simple calculation would cost me no less than 16hours!

maybe you can contact National supercomputing center and run yours on the suprecomputer,
http://www.wxsc.net.cn/service.html
QQ截图20160620160832.jpg

it still suck even with fast modern pc. i used next limit to render 15 mins fluid simulation for my homemade project and took me nearly 20 hours.

Last edited:
China beating China. Now that's what I would call a competition to watch. China, let's beat China again.

New Chinese supercomputer replaces Tianhe-2 as world's fastest system
| June 20, 2016, Monday |
icon_OE.png

The new system was developed by the Chinese National Research Center of Parallel Computer Engineering & Technology and installed at the National Supercomputing Center in Wuxi of Jiangsu, an eastern coastal province of China.

Previously, Tianhe-2, an Intel-based Chinese supercomputer, has claimed the No. 1 spot in the past six TOP 500 lists.

The latest list also marked the first time since the inception of the TOP 500 list in 1993 that the United States is not home to the largest number of supercomputer systems.

"With a surge in industrial and research installations registered over the last few years, China leads with 167 systems and the U.S. is second with 165," the statement said.

China also leads the performance category, thanks to the No. 1 and No. 2 systems, it said.

"It's a trend with China," Jack Dongarra, professor of the University of Tennessee and editor of the list, told Xinhua in an email. "They had zero systems in 2001 and today they surpass the United States. No other nation has seen such rapid growth."

Dongarra said supercomputers are more important than ever as they provide capability benefiting a broad range of industries, including energy, pharmaceutics, aircraft, automobile and entertainment.

T on Monday dethroned China's Tianhe-2 from the top in a list of the 500 most powerful supercomputers in the world.

"China maintained its No. 1 ranking on the 47th edition of the TOP 500 list of the world's top supercomputers," said a statement from the semiannual list compiled by U.S. and European experts, "but with a new system built entirely using processors designed and made in China."

Sunway TaihuLight, with 10,649,600 computing cores comprising 40,960 nodes, is twice as fast and three times as efficient as Tianhe-2, which has a performance of 33.86 quadrillion calculations per second, or petaflop/s.

The new system was developed by the Chinese National Research Center of Parallel Computer Engineering & Technology and installed at the National Supercomputing Center in Wuxi of Jiangsu, an eastern coastal province of China.

Previously, Tianhe-2, an Intel-based Chinese supercomputer, has claimed the No. 1 spot in the past six TOP 500 lists.

The latest list also marked the first time since the inception of the TOP 500 list in 1993 that the United States is not home to the largest number of supercomputer systems.

"With a surge in industrial and research installations registered over the last few years, China leads with 167 systems and the U.S. is second with 165," the statement said.

China also leads the performance category, thanks to the No. 1 and No. 2 systems, it said.

"It's a trend with China," Jack Dongarra, professor of the University of Tennessee and editor of the list, told Xinhua in an email. "They had zero systems in 2001 and today they surpass the United States. No other nation has seen such rapid growth."

Dongarra said supercomputers are more important than ever as they provide capability benefiting a broad range of industries, including energy, pharmaceutics, aircraft, automobile and entertainment.

Sunway-TaihuLight outperforms Tianhe-2 as world's fastest supercomputer
Source: Xinhua | 2016-06-20 15:56:14 | Editor: huaxia

135451172_14664109306961n.jpg

WUXI, June 20, 2016 (Xinhua) -- Photo taken on June 16, 2016 shows interchanger cables of Sunway TaihuLight, a new Chinese supercomputer, in Wuxi, east China's Jiangsu Province. Performing 93 quadrillion calculations per second, Sunway TaihuLight dethroned China's Tianhe-2 from the top in a list of the 500 most powerful supercomputers in the world. Sunway TaihuLight, with 10,649,600 computing cores comprising 40,960 nodes, is twice as fast and three times as efficient as Tianhe-2, which has a performance of 33.86 quadrillion calculations per second, or petaflop/s. The new system was developed by the Chinese National Research Center of Parallel Computer Engineering & Technology and installed at the National Supercomputing Center in Wuxi. (Xinhua/Li Xiang)

NANJING, June 20 (Xinhua) -- China's new supercomputing system, Sunway-TaihuLight, was named the world's fastest computer at the International Supercomputing Conference in Germany on Monday.

The National Supercomputing Center was also unveiled Monday in Wuxi, east China's Jiangsu Province, where the new-generation supercomputer is installed.

With processing capacity of 125.436 petaflops (PFlops) per second, which means it can perform quadrillions of calculations per second at peak performance, Sunway-TaihuLight is the first supercomputer to achieve speeds in excess of 100 PFlops.

The computing power of the supercomputer is provided by a China-developed many-core CPU chip, which is just 25 square cm.

135451172_14664110310021n.jpg

135451172_14664110310121n.jpg

135451172_14664110310441n.jpg

135451172_14664110310551n.jpg

World’s Fastest Supercomputer Now Has Chinese Chip Technology

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...supercomputer-now-has-chinese-chip-technology

• Previous leading machines depended on US-designed chips

• More Chinese supercomputers in top 500 than US for first time

In a threat to U.S. technology dominance, the world’s fastest supercomputer is powered by Chinese-designed semiconductors for the first time. It’s a breakthrough for China’s attempts to reduce dependence on imported technology.

The Sunway TaihuLight supercomputer, located at the state-funded Chinese Supercomputing Center in Wuxi, Jiangsu province, is more than twice as powerful as the previous winner, according to TOP500, a research organization that compiles the rankings twice a year. The machine is powered by a SW26010 processor designed by Shanghai High Performance IC Design Center, TOP500 said Monday.

"It’s not based on an existing architecture. They built it themselves," said Jack Dongarra, a professor at the University of Tennessee and creator of the measurement method used by TOP500. "This is a system that has Chinese processors."

China’s determination to build its domestic chip industry and replace its dependence on imports that cost as much as oil. The world’s most populous country may also try to lessen its reliance on U.S. companies for defense technology and security infrastructure. Supercomputers aren’t major consumers of chips. But being at the heart of the world’s most powerful machines helps processor makers persuade the broader market to consider their technology.
"This is the first time that the Chinese have more systems than the U.S., so that, I think, is a striking accomplishment," said Dongarra. The Chinese had no machines in the 2001 list, he noted. In the latest, China has 167 entries compared with 165 for the U.S.

Previous supercomputer winners have had processors built on U.S. technology from Intel Corp. -- the world’s largest chipmaker -- International Business Machines Corp. or a derivative of Sun Microsystems designs.

The top position was previously occupied by Tianhe-2, built on Intel chips by China’s National Supercomputer Center in Guangzhou. That system is now second, according to TOP500.

Sunway TaihuLight’s victory is a particular challenge to Intel’s dominance in computer servers, where it currently controls about 96 percent of the market. It announced a joint venture with a Chinese organization to domesticate some of its technology earlier this year.

Supercomputers are multiple server computers linked together in a way that allows them to process huge data sets and run the most complex calculations. While they’re hugely expensive and relatively rare, they showcase new technologies that often make their way into corporate data centers.

An Intel spokesman declined to comment on the new rankings.

Other chipmakers such as Qualcomm Inc. are working with Chinese organizations to build processors in the country. Technology provider ARM Holdings Plc, whose products are at the heart of most smartphones, is also trying to grab a slice of the Chinese market.

93 Petaflop Chinese Supercomputer is World’s Fastest on Latest TOP500 List | insideHPC
June 19, 2016 by Rich Brueckner

A new machine called Sunway TaihuLight in China is the fastest supercomputer on the planet. Announced today with the release of the latest TOP500 list, the 93 Petaflop machine sports over 10.6 Million compute cores. “The latest list marks the first time since the inception of the TOP500 that the U.S is not home to the largest number of systems. With a surge in industrial and research installations registered over the last few years, China leads with 167 systems and the U.S. is second with 165. China also leads the performance category, thanks to the No. 1 and No. 2 systems.”

"It’s not based on an existing architecture. They built it themselves," said Jack Dongarra, a professor at the University of Tennessee and creator of the measurement method used by TOP500. "This is a system that has Chinese processors."

Previous supercomputer winners have had processors built on U.S. technology from Intel Corp. -- the world’s largest chipmaker -- International Business Machines Corp. or a derivative of Sun Microsystems designs.

this is news. i thought the chip is based on sparc, power, mips or dec

Last edited:
it didn't hit 100 Pflop it hit 93 Pflop :enjoy:

and I thought it was suppose to be 300 Pflop :undecided:

Rubbish :disagree:

The Sunway TaihuLight at the National Supercomputing Center in Wuxi hit 93 petaflops/second on the Linpack benchmark and a theoretical peak performance of 125.4 Pflop/s. It uses 40,960 Sunway SW26010 processors designed by the Shanghai High Performance IC Design Center.

http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1329941

Don't make a mountain out of your ignorance. The 200-300 Pflop/s machine will be the upgrade of Tianhe-2A. :lol:

I even made a bet with one of your brothers that it wouldn't surpass 100 Pflops

https://defence.pk/threads/china-wi...supercomputer-next-month.430186/#post-8302824

https://defence.pk/threads/china-wi...omputer-next-month.430186/page-2#post-8304522

though I am surprised by how efficient this new supercomputer is -congrats to China on that- :cheers: I was sure it would be over 20 MW :whistle:
Haha
Where are these two now?
Lets have a bet.

50 dollars donated to Diane fossey foundation for gorillas. Print the receipt on screen for the loser.

https://gorillafund.org/donate

I say China breaks the 100 pflops.

Yes or no?
How about this? If we did show to break 100flop/s next month, you will use my avatar for a week and if I lose, I will use your avatar for a week. How about that, myf riend?

PS Congrats to China:china:

Back
Top Bottom