What's new

China Civil Aviation, AVIC (MA600) & COMAC (ARJ21/C919/C929)

really hoping that we will get rid of GE and Honeywell, too, some day. Assemblying the plane is the first step. Next we will make domestic version of engine and avionics.

I wonder if Pakistan or any other country is interested in a joint development similar to JF-17...

Chinese planes challenge Boeing and Airbus
By Juliana Liu
Asia Business Report, BBC World, Singapore air show

The biggest potential threat to the dominance of Western aircraft makers has been unveiled at the Singapore Air Show.

China's answer to Boeing and Airbus is showing a slender, blue-and-white model of the Comac C919 aircraft for the first time outside the mainland. Its introduction was low-key, a move consistent with how Chinese firms prefer to operate overseas.

The aircraft, designed and built entirely in China, will compete directly against industry stalwarts A320 and Boeing 737 after completing flight trials in four years. It should be available commercially by 2016.

"That's our plan," an official from the Commercial Aircraft Corporation of China, or Comac, tells BBC News.

"But it will be tough to stick to it. These days, delivery dates are often pushed back."

Next year delivery

The C919 is part of China's stated goal of developing a homegrown aerospace industry, which may someday challenge Airbus and Boeing's hold on the global market for commercial aviation.

Comac is likely to build more than 2,000 C919s in the next two decades, with a view to grab a 10% share of the global market for narrow body aircraft.

It has been a meteoric rise for Comac, established just a year and a half ago.

Headquartered in Shanghai, the company is fully backed by the central government, as well as by the local government and a number of state-owned firms such as Chinalco and Baosteel.

Comac has already sold more than 240 of its ARJ-21 twin-engine regional jets to Chinese airlines, as well as to a Laotian carrier and to a unit of General Electric. The plane is scheduled for delivery to customers next year.

Biggest market

Experts believe it will take China 10 to 20 years to establish itself in commercial aviation.

That prospect has attracted scores of Western suppliers such as Rockwell Collins, General Electric and Honeywell.

"There is a great deal of excitement in the region," Mark Howes, president of Honeywell Aerospace Asia Pacific, tells the BBC in an interview at the air show. "We're all negotiating and pursuing these deals."

Honeywell is hoping to sell its mechanical and electronic systems for inclusion in the C919.

The US manufacturer has already clinched contracts for its flight controls and inertial navigation systems for use in the ARJ-21.

"They will add a whole new level of economic activity to our industry," Mr Howes adds.

Chinese customers

One day, China will be Honeywell's biggest market in Asia, Mr Howes says.

so he is now based in Shanghai, having moved there two years ago to be closer to his Chinese customers.

Looking ahead, the company hopes to supply parts to the aircraft unit of the Aviation Industry Corporation of China, or Avic.

The group is in the process of developing the MA700, a four engine turboprop regional airliner.

But China's goal of becoming an aerospace giant may be hurt by a US embargo on military technology transfers.

This could affect dual-use parts, also found in commercial engines.

Sanction threat

Like other US manufacturers doing business in China, Honeywell is keeping a close eye on a growing row between Beijing and Washington, over the latter's arms sales to Taiwan.

China has threatened to sanction US firms selling arms to Taiwan, which it considered a renegade province.

"For everyone here, it's an issue of how it goes between governments," Mr Howes says.

"Certainly, we'll be watching it very closely."

The stakes are much higher for Boeing, which makes the Harpoon missiles that Taiwan will be purchasing as part of the US deal.

When asked by BBC News, the aerospace giant declined to comment on possible sanctions.

Boeing and other Western manufacturers have made fortunes doing business with China.

"The China market has been amazing in the last year," says Boeing Commercial Airplanes marketing chief Randy Tinseth.

As the country develops its own industry, China will want to make billions of its own.

good going china :tup::tup::tup:
keep it up

even good for Pakistan to buy them and get rid of western suppliers..i traveled from Quetta to Islamabad in 2006 i remember the door was not sealed but used plastic tapes literally similar to what is used for box packing a real freakish dangerous thing done by PIA and yet there is nobody to investigate..

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT ?

Once the plane is operation we need to make sure that no more Boeing planes are ordered for domestic flights.

Iran will be the first Foreign customer

Iran cant be, The jet engines of the Comac C919 will be supplied by French Safran Group and US based General Electric.

So, US will never allow this to do......untill China makes it own engine.

Second this Jet will come out in 2016 for production. :china:

I wonder if Pakistan or any other country is interested in a joint development similar to JF-17...

Pakistan financial condition is not that well to take apart in number of joint productions.

Pak needed more efforts in joint venture of Aeronotical jets an weapons etc

even good for Pakistan to buy them and get rid of western suppliers..i traveled from Quetta to Islamabad in 2006 i remember the door was not sealed but used plastic tapes literally similar to what is used for box packing a real freakish dangerous thing done by PIA and yet there is nobody to investigate..

Western engines are equipped in C919

Yes Sri Lanka may buy.

I told Iran because Iran urgently needs Big Commercial Planes.
For now Iran cannot buy western Planes because Sanctions.

Cant buy this jet due to sanctions, few parts like engine is taken from west.

Iran will be the first Foreign customer

Iran will not be the first Foreign customer as they haven't placed any orders. Please correct your statement.

Besides Iran has many airlines. Who exactly you are referring to?

I told Iran because Iran urgently needs Big Commercial Planes.
For now Iran cannot buy western Planes because Sanctions.

This is not exactly a big commercial plane as it is a competetor to A-320 and next gen Boeing 737 family.

Iran has no sanction from Airbus as they can buy from them.

Secondly Iran Air has already placed an order for 30 Tu-204 while HESA has placed an order for 50 An-148.

The first flight of C919 is intended for 2015 where as Iran will recieve the above said aircrafts before that.

GB

Iran cant be, The jet engines of the Comac C919 will be supplied by French Safran Group and US based General Electric.

So, US will never allow this to do......untill China makes it own engine.

Second this Jet will come out in 2016 for production. :china:

Iran can buy civilian planes from Airbus (including ATR) and from Embrarer.

GB

Cranfield to train top engineers from China

Cranfield University has sealed an agreement with a major Chinese aviation corporation to train 150 of the company’s engineers in aircraft and jet engine design, with the aim of creating a 130-seat airliner.

A ceremony took place yesterday at Cranfield University to mark the beginning of a three-year collaboration between China Aviation Industry Corporation I (AVIC I) and Cranfield. The initiative is part of a wider drive by the Chinese aviation industry to invest in civil aviation and propulsion systems by training large numbers of aircraft and gas turbine engine design engineers.

AVIC I turned to Cranfield for its expertise in aerospace engineering and power and propulsion to develop the Civil Aircraft and Engine Team Training Programmes. Cranfield will train, at postgraduate level, 25 engineers in civil aircraft design and 25 in jet engine design each year for three years.

Cranfield is no stranger to preparing top engineers for careers in the aerospace sector. Formerly the College of Aeronautics and Cranfield Institute of Technology, the University has been at the forefront of aerospace technology for 60 years, with clients including Airbus, Boeing, Rolls-Royce and BAE Systems.

The ceremony was hosted by Professor Minoo Patel, Head of the School of Engineering at Cranfield. Distinguished guests at the event included the University’s Vice-Chancellor Professor Sir John O’Reilly, Senior Vice President of AVIC I Mr Yuhai Li, the Director of Technology Research and Development Department of AVIC I Mr Jinzhong Wei, the Deputy Director of Training Department of AVIC I Ms Su Xiao, the Commercial Minister Counselor Madam Fan Jiang, the Education Minister Counselor Mr Yongda Wang.

ENDS

Back
Top Bottom