What's new

Chengdu J-10 Multirole Fighter Air Craft News & Discussions

The PAF is probably waiting for the J-10B, which has yet to be put into PLAAF service (officially)...but it would be wrong to say that there are no negotiations. Please remember that the J-10B has not been disclosed, hence the PAF cannot say it is negotiating for a fighter that officially does not exist. This fighter will be our true weapon...it will surpass the J-10A in physical performance; house EF/Rafale-generation ECM/EW, avionics; AESA radar; Meteor & IRIS-T-generation weapons; TVC and maybe even supercruise.

Last edited:
The J-10A, two of which are giving daily flying displays, will be joined by a tandem-seat J-10B at Chengdu after the conclusion of the expo and these three aircraft will be evaluated by a seven-member team of test-pilots and ground crew hailing from the Pakistan Air Force (PAF), which has already confirmed its intention to procure an initial 34 J-10As and four J-10Bs. The PAF will designate this aircraft-type as the FC-20. The J-10As showcased at Zhuhai are equipped with a comprehensive defensive aids-suite comprising radar warning receivers, missile approach warning system, an internal EW jammer, as well as a SATCOM system used for both communications as well as navigation. In fact, the on-going deployment of the ‘Beidou’ regional constellation of GPS navigation satellites by China has resulted in both the PLA Navy and PLA Air Force beginning to induct in large numbers a variety of GPS-guided precision-guided munitions, including the FT-3 and FT-5 small diameter bombs, LT-3 PGM, and LS-3 glide bomb. Needless to say, such PGMs will also be specified by the PAF for its FC-20s.—Prasun K. Sengupta
TRISHUL: Airshow China 2008: First Impressions

The PAF is probably waiting for the J-10B, which has yet to be put into PLAAF service (officially)...but it would be wrong to say that there are no negotiations. Please remember that the J-10B has not been disclosed, hence the PAF cannot say it is negotiating for a fighter that officially does not exist. This fighter will be our true weapon...it will surpass the J-10A in physical performance; house EF/Rafale-generation ECM/EW, avionics; AESA radar; Meteor & IRIS-T-generation weapons; TVC and maybe even supercruise.

MS,
I respect your information sharing but unless we dont get any concrete evidence, this could be just wishful thinking!

MS,
I respect your information sharing but unless we dont get any concrete evidence, this could be just wishful thinking!
Sir, the information you get on Janes is fairly limited in scope when looking at Chinese projects. If you wish to study the PLA and its weapons development, then you'll need to go straight to Chinese evidence. The bulk of my information comes from the following blog that basically translates Chinese defence sources: http://china-pla.blogspot.com/

Sir, the information you get on Janes is fairly limited in scope when looking at Chinese projects. If you wish to study the PLA and its weapons development, then you'll need to go straight to Chinese evidence. The bulk of my information comes from the following blog that basically translates Chinese defence sources: China Air and Naval Power

yes and no. as china opens up to the world, information about their military progress is quite evident from the 3 or 4 JDW articles i have recently posted in TT section and Chinese military section.
thanks,

yes and no. as china opens up to the world, information about their military progress is quite evident from the 3 or 4 JDW articles i have recently posted in TT section and Chinese military section.
thanks,
Problem is that until the PLA officially discloses its hardware, JDW falls into the stream of speculatative thought that I brought...because it relies on the same sources. What JDW termed as "Super-10" back a few years ago is essentially the J-10B, though the J-10B is less radical in terms of stealthiness.

good moves from a nicely made demo.I wish the real one could do the moves though!!!
Araz

So as i wish sir....this bird with stealthy features would become one of the deadliest jet around the globe....i havent seen such monueverability yet except that of f22 raptor...though j10 cant match f16 block 52 at this point of time but one should remain optimistic about its development...lets see when the chinese will incorporate AESA in j10...:enjoy:

FlightGlobal

China is likely to accelerate the modernisation of its fighter fleet over the next decade, and is looking to induct additional indigenous aircraft and order new types from Russia.

Beijing's Chengdu J-10 fighter was displayed publicly for the first time earlier this month at Airshow China 2008 in Zhuhai, where Chinese officials indicated that it would also develop new versions of the type. A B-model aircraft has already been proposed, with this to have a thrust-vectoring engine and an active electronically scanned array radar.
"The J-10 has been identified as the backbone of the Chinese air force. They will continue to increase the production rate and improve on the earlier version," says one observer. China has never revealed how many J-10s have entered service since 2006, but industry sources speculate that more than 100 have been produced from an eventual requirement for around 300.

A naval version of the J-10 is also on the cards, with sources saying that China hopes to get its aircraft carrier programme up and running in the next decade. But with an indigenous naval fighter expected to take too long to develop, China is reportedly negotiating with Russia's Rosoboronexport arms agency for an interim batch of 48 Sukhoi Su-33 fighters.

China has also shown interest in the Su-35, but could first place a significant order for Chengdu's FC-1/JF-17 fighter, which was jointly developed with Pakistan. Concurrently, Beijing is pursing several highly secretive studies to develop a stealthy fifth-generation fighter, and is also reportedly developing a stealth bomber, various unmanned air vehicles and indigenous powerplants.

Meanwhile, the air force's first cadre of eight pilots to graduate from the Chinese Flight Test Establishment finished their two-year course in mid-November, with each having received instruction on seven aircraft types and logged almost 1,000 sorties

So as i wish sir....this bird with stealthy features would become one of the deadliest jet around the globe....i havent seen such monueverability yet except that of f22 raptor...though j10 cant match f16 block 52 at this point of time but one should remain optimistic about its development...lets see when the chinese will incorporate AESA in j10...:enjoy:

Thunder
F16 backed up by the American techno giant took 3 decades to evolve into its present form after induction. Give J10 some time. It will evolve too.
regards
Araz

manoeuvers between 2:41 to 3:00 will put the pilot to sleep for good. too much gs positive and negative. But very impressive.

This might help a bit.....

Elta EL/M-2035 Multi-Mode Pulse Doppler Radar

The Elta EL/M-2035 multi-mode pulse-Doppler radar was a development of the Elta EL/M-2021B multi-mode Doppler radar of the IAI Kfir-C2. The radar was very advanced and had a coherent transmitter and a stable multi-channel receiver for reliable look-down performance over a broad band of frequencies and for high resolution mapping. An Elta programmable signal processor, backed by a distributed, embedded computer network, would provide optimum allocation of computing power and great flexibility for growth and the updating of algorithims and systems growth.

The radar could provide speed and position of targets in the air and on the ground, and could provide the pilot with a map of the terrain the Lavi was overflying. It could track several targets at 46 km distance in at least five air-to-air modes (automatic target aquisition, boresight, look down, look up and track while scan (TWS)). The radar had at least two air-to-ground modes (beam-sharpened ground mapping/terrain avoidance and sea search). After the cancellation of the Lavi programme the radar was offered for multi-role fighter retrofits, including the Denel Cheetah E.

Lavi (www.combatsim.com)

Another candidate is the Chinese version of the Israeli Elta EL/M-2035 multimode pulse Doppler fire control radar based on the original development by Elta Electronics Industries - a subsidiary of Israel Aircraft Industries Electronics Group. This radar is used on the South African Denel (Atlas) "Cheetah" fighter - a development of the Dassault "Mirage III". The Elta EL/M-2035 radar is based on the 2021B version used by the IAI Kfir-C2 fighter. The radar offers a range of 46km for a 5 m2 RCS target, five air-to-air modes (automatic target acquisition, boresight, look-down, look-up, and track-while-scan) and two air-to-ground modes (beam-sharpened ground mapping and terrain avoidance and sea-search). Originally the Elta EL/M-2035 was developed for the "Lavi" program and after the program's cancellation the radar was offered for export.

MILAVIA - Aircraft - Chengdu J-10

Sources vary but some IAF Mig-21BM have emissions that fit the EL/M-2035v(2) profile which is their latest offering as does at least one Mig-29 (testbed?). The Chinese have their hands on the Elta EL/M-2021B and possibly the EL/M-2035v(1) or some other pre-2035 derivative since the J-10A's signatures all resemble known profiles. I would not discount a Chinese knockoff of the v(1) fitted to current versions.

Back
Top Bottom