What's new

Chengdu J-10 Multirole Fighter Air Craft News & Discussions

Sir,

It is more like 50 years---regarding fighter aircraft engines.

At Face Value, Yes the Chinese are quite behind but factor in how fast the Chinese industry is growing. They are running multiple simultaneous jet engine projects to master this technology, its only a matter of time before the Chinese close up this gap. We have already seen how fast they have closed up the gap in the areas of avionics and weaponry. China is looking to become a military superpower, and their investments in different Defence Projects confirms this premise.

Hasnain,

A member on a sister site def info is stating / quoting that the AFM stating the FC20 dead for pakistan-----! My question is in relation to that.
Is possible due to the fact that we getting JF17 in the next version more capable than the present FC20 on the table ...
so the time will tell what is gonna happen and what is behind the curtain...
I guess if we get JF17 stealth version within next 2 to three yearz and be able to mass produce it ..then maybe FC20 might go outta equation....for time being..yea maybe we go for J20 in future...with single engine most probably...:azn:

mate the main area china is behind west is the engine not the avionics.. we estimate it is 20 years gap between u.s and china in jet engine field.

I guess by looking at the level of skill in China ..this gap will be matched within the next 5 to 6 yearz at the most...hopefully Insha-Allah...:)

Sir,

Even the highly anti China sources such as strategypage recognized that the engines that russian offered had a life span of 1000 Hrs where as Chinese were able to tweak their engines to 1500 Hrs. They did note that China is catching up on at least Russia, really fast. 50 Years is too pessimistic. China has the resource, the structure and the talent to do it real quick, i dont wana see you caught as Robert Gates :lol:

I think what Mastan was trying to compare is that China is still fielding Russian engines on 4th (western) generation fighters that were built 40 years or more ago like F-14, F-15 and F-16. The equivalent J-11 and J-10 are still having (mostly) Russian engines.

So in a sense its true the gap is very wide. However, I do believe that once the critical knowledge of material science is gained for one engine, a huge gap can be covered in just a couple of years with China potentially reducing the gap to just 10 yrs in say say another 5 yrs.

Is possible due to the fact that we getting JF17 in the next version more capable than the present FC20 on the table ...
so the time will tell what is gonna happen and what is behind the curtain...
I guess if we get JF17 stealth version within next 2 to three yearz and be able to mass produce it ..then maybe FC20 might go outta equation....for time being..yea maybe we go for J20 in future...with single engine most probably...:azn:

stealthy 4.5 generation jf17 e better better radar, engine, payload, combat radius.... but the weapons bay will add extra weight, so either we use greater composites or get a more powerful engine..

maybe we are starting another jv for a fifth gen, single engined fighter like the f35...instead of investing money in three 4.5 generation platforms, which might feel the heat after pakfa induction..

Sir,

lol how? 50 years ago turbofan engine wasnt even developed, 100% of most advanced aircrafts at that time were using turbojet engines. with russian's help china wasnt too shabby in turbojet engine fields`

so my suggestion for u is to say things more accordingly mate``:)

Very emotional people----think with your brains---think like engineers and not with rhetoric---manufacturing a stealth plane is easier than manufacturing an engine for it---.

I still dont think the FC-20 idea is completely out yet..
and if it is.. be sure to thank the economy and the present government.

Very emotional people----think with your brains---think like engineers and not with rhetoric---manufacturing a stealth plane is easier than manufacturing an engine for it---.
I said it before and I am saying it again, engine production and design is not a child's play, The engine is the most crucial part of airplane to me at least, or to be a bit more pessimistic, equally crucial as design and weapon systems. Chinese planners admit that they made a fatal mistake by concentrating on design more and almost neglecting engine research (100K Rinminbi a fiscal year).But now, they are tying to make up for it by investing 10 bliion Rinminbi in engine research AVIC to invest 10 billion yuan in engine R&D | China business news. AFAIK, the engines for 4th gen fighters. i.e. WS-10 and WS-13 are handled by Tihang which is encountering some issues (understandable as engine needs time to mature). The engine for 5th Gen i.e. WS-15 is being produced by Whushan, and the project is promising till date. However, this is what I have come across during my time spent on different reads and thus, remains an opinion.

To me fc20 is not good, better buy more thunders and update the same design ,radar,ram etc j10a has same avionics only more radar range payload etc
but fc20 is upgraded more by 4.5++ avionics suite so if we upgrade jf17 as same since nose has been changed and increased so radar accommodation is more 'irst' and some more avionics, well design can be made larger to add internal EW and Jammers inside as f16 to f2(japan)...my2cents.

I still dont think the FC-20 idea is completely out yet..
and if it is.. be sure to thank the economy and the present government.
there one interesting rumor that FC-20 will come with baseline WS-15 engine instead of WS-10 or WS-10A. What sparks my interest in this is that J-20 will be operationalize circa 2015-2016. PLAAF still have a considerable requirement for replacement of their J-7s and J-8s. So there is a requirement of J-10s. I dont think PLAAF will induct J-20 in huge numbers (may be numbers near USAF raptor i.e. circa 200). The rest will be 4.5th gen or may be single engine stealth(snowy owl, or CAC 5th Gen, J-11D) you never know. J-10B looks more potent than J-10A so there is no reason why PLAAF would sit and wait for 2015-2016 and not replace its aging platforms with J-10B

Back
Top Bottom