What's new

Chengdu J-10 Multirole Fighter Air Craft News & Discussions

Photoshop, posted before.. debunked before. but people just need to post stuff for the heck of it.

Is it not better to close this thread, or pehaps move it to Chinese defence section, as J-10s are not coming to Pakistan.....(As quoted in the recent article by Air Commodore Mahmood Khalid)

Is it not better to close this thread, or pehaps move it to Chinese defence section, as J-10s are not coming to Pakistan.....(As quoted in the recent article by Air Commodore Mahmood Khalid)

What will happen to all the wishful thinkers??? :cheesy:

To be fair, it was in the pipeline but a paucity of funds scuttled the idea around 2009-10.

Damn, sad to hear that j-10's won't be coming to PAF but its reality it is what it is .

I'm glad they are not coming to PAF, the only real advantage over Jf-17 is the payload. And there is no point in having two different aircraft of same class. F-16 can do the J-10 job much more effectively.

I'm glad they are not coming to PAF, the only real advantage over Jf-17 is the payload. And there is no point in having two different aircraft of same class. F-16 can do the J-10 job much more effectively.

Uh, payload is one of the advantages.

Others include an AESA radar, more RAM, more composites, more powerful engine, new sensor fusion, solid state electronics, new cockpit, higher speed, greater range, advanced helmet mounted display, etc.

The J-10B would essentially provide 4.5 generation capabilities to the PAF.

Damn, sad to hear that j-10's won't be coming to PAF but its reality it is what it is .

There's no confirmation to either side of the story, so it is best to hold out until more solid news come in.

I think so too and I know about the funding issue, but that's the PAF side, I just tried to point out, that there also might be a Chinese side of the problem, by not having the fighter ready at a technical level as is should be. I am saying for quiet some time that J10B doesn't add too much to PAF compared to JF17, but if the radar isn't ready either, it surely have no importance at all. A J10C then again, IF it really can come with CFTs, AESA and the new engine, will offer clearly more to PAF, although still not a game changer like a 5th gen fighter of course.

Some pics from the MP forum:

102967822.jpg

102967841.jpg

102967843.jpg

Saying that the J-10B doesn't add too much would be hugely erroneous.

The J-10B would provide an AESA, more composites, RAM, more powerful engine, IRST, IFR, and most importantly, it has the range that the JF-17 does not.

Its radar has been long ready, since it was the first of many types of AESA radars that are now in service, which includes the likes of the J-11B, J-15, and J-16.

The J-10C is likely to be an upgrade with the following changes:

- greater wing area to accommodate more hardpoints
- CFT (although IMHO the J-10B could carry them as well eventually)
- new generation AESA
- greater engine thrust (perhaps upgraded WS-10B)
- twin seats
- dorsal spine

Twin engine variants would require a redesign and thus make it a new type of aircraft.

Last edited:
out of your list, many of them would be on certain jft batches, the standout part is range, engine, and payload. Radar, weapons, avionics etc would be pretty close in future.

out of your list, many of them would be on certain jft batches, the standout part is range, engine, and payload. Radar, weapons, avionics etc would be pretty close in future.

Perhaps, but the small size of the JF-17 makes such upgrades severely limited, even if the price of such upgrade schemes is ignored. In other words, an airframe like the J-15 would offer a lot more upgrade potential than would the J-10B, which is also one of the reasons the Chinese are paying more attention to installing fifth generation components on the J-15 and J-16 rather than the five-year-delayed J-10B program.

Perhaps, but the small size of the JF-17 makes such upgrades severely limited, even if the price of such upgrade schemes is ignored. In other words, an airframe like the J-15 would offer a lot more upgrade potential than would the J-10B, which is also one of the reasons the Chinese are paying more attention to installing fifth generation components on the J-15 and J-16 rather than the five-year-delayed J-10B program.

range and payload is important surely, lets see.

Flanker cannot be upgraded with DSI like J-10 could. Flankers begin to be replaced by J-20 by 2017.

Saying that the J-10B doesn't add too much would be hugely erroneous.

The J-10B would provide an AESA, more composites, RAM, more powerful engine, IRST, IFR, and most importantly, it has the range that the JF-17 does not.

When we stick to the know facts, it isn't! You have to compare it with the JF17 Block 3, since that version is meant to be the same technical standard and then we have...

...most likely AESA radar
...composites and RAM
...more powerful engines
...IRST

IFR is already provided with the Block 2 and where do you see a big range advantage? Both can carry only 3 fuel tanks and will carry the same ammount of fuel tanks in the same roles. In fact that is exactly my point, without CFTs, J10B offers no load advantage to the light class JF 17, except for LGB strikes.

And since we know that the B don't have more powerful engines now and not even AESA is confirmed yet, I remain with to say that it's by far not a big upgrade yet.

PAF wanted to have 100 front-line fighters and there was a possibility that Pakistan would buy F-16s from a 3rd country. Order of 36 J-10s on top of existing F-16s would have made it possible. Now if J-10s are not coming.. what is option for us? None?

Now if J-10s are not coming.. what is option for us? None?

Focusing more on the improvement of JF 17, with a NG fighter in mind for the long term, that actually would add punch, which the J10B can't.

PAF wanted to have 100 front-line fighters and there was a possibility that Pakistan would buy F-16s from a 3rd country. Order of 36 J-10s on top of existing F-16s would have made it possible. Now if J-10s are not coming.. what is option for us? None?

I suppose another batch of 18 F-16 Block 52+ could come in handy at this point for another F-16 squadron. Pakistan needs to beef up its fleet of medium fighters.

Last edited:
Focusing more on the improvement of JF 17, with a NG fighter in mind for the long term, that actually would add punch, which the J10B can't.
J10b is a very advanced 4.5+ fighter, it sure means something for PLAAF. The price of J10b for PAF is only 45millions USD per, this kind of low price offered is fully based of brotherhood relationship between China and Pakistan. I can feel IAf really cares about whether PAF induct J10b or not. It could enhance PAF to another new level. You guys really underestimate J10b. The unit price of Rafale has reached 120 millions per, even country rich like India can't afford it. I strongly believe PAF will induct J10b in the future, at least 2 squadrons.

J10b is nearly on par with Rafale with only one thirds of it's price, that's the lucky part of PAF that IAF will never be able to enjoy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom