What's new

Changing Bengali attitudes towards Bangladesh

Hi there. I'm an American-born Bengali. I've noticed that a lot of Bengali people tend not to know a lot about their country and consistently bash Bangladesh in public forums. Let me provide a few examples to explain what I mean:

/watch?v=MoMifNO4w6s This video on youtube talks about how Dhaka is the fastest growing megacity in the world. A commenter posted:

"and despite all this they continue to **** like rabbits
reckless irresponsible lowlives"

That's a pretty bleak statement to make, especially considering that Bangladesh is a unique poor country that managed to decreased its population growth BEFORE achieving economic growth.
Hans Rosling explains it much better in this Gapcast video than I ever could (from youtube): (/watch?v=jAJC2YAJw_A)

Here's another comment from the Dhaka-megacity video: growing megacity ? what the **** is wrong with these people , its corrupt and poor , god bless and help the poor and **** the bangladeshi goverment and theyre dhaka its a **** hole !

Poverty in Bangladesh has dropped by 8.5% in the last 5yrs - that's pretty good.
Bangladesh has climbed from the bottom of the Corruption Perception Index for 5yrs in a row (2001-2005) to rank 120 in the world (2011). Corruption Perception Index is rated out of 10 & Bangladesh has current rating of 2.7 < very bad but better than rating of 1.0 it had in 2001-2005.

Here's one possible reason why Bengalis bash Bangladesh so consistently: Bengali people have high (unrealistic) expectations from Bangladesh & when they don't get that perfection, they complain. This isn't very pragmatic or smart. Bangladesh isn't going to turn into Sweden overnight - the important thing is to show improvement. Also important, perception about how a country is doing plays a significant role in attracting foreign investment so it makes ZERO sense for Bengalis to bash Bangladesh in a public forum needlessly.

So Bengalis: keep it real. Don't say Bangladesh is pooping rainbows but don't make it out to be a total gutter when it's actually showing significant improvement.

Also: INVEST in BANGLADESH :) It's the fiscally intelligent thing to do!

That is exactly the feeling I got from most Bangladeshis I befriended in the US or came across. They didn't seem to wallow in self-pity and seek a conspiracy theory in everything that was wrong in their country. Most of them were religious, but never overtly so. Good thing.

I think the confusion could have been avoided of you used Bangladeshi or Bangladeshi bengali instead of the generic term bengali, as clearly Bangladeshis don't themselves to be called bengali nor Bangladeshis and Indian bengalis want to be associated with each other.

Do you have anything pertinent to add to the thread? We can talk about vernacular elsewhere - or Angry-Birds or Angry-Biharis (which somehow seems to be a popular discussion but completely random topic here... I only know 1 person of person of Bihari descent & she's really not angry...)

Do you have anything pertinent to add to the thread? We can talk about vernacular elsewhere - or Angry-Birds or Angry-Biharis (which somehow seems to be a popular discussion but completely random topic here... I only know 1 person of person of Bihari descent & she's really not angry...)

I was pointing out a flaw in your argument which is not off topic. I don't care if Bangladeshis are of biharis, timurid or timbaktuian decent, as they are all same to me.

I was pointing out a flaw in your argument which is not off topic. I don't care if Bangladeshis are of biharis, timurid or timbaktuian decent, as they are all same to me.

... even more confused... what argument? I didn't even realize there was an argument... :( If you'd like to call Bangladeshi-Bengali as specifically Bangladeshi, that is 100% fine by me. I just use a different vernacular, which I already defined.

... sigh... Why is this happening to my thread? :( *sadface* I feel like I've taken a very strange, unexpected twist from "Hey! Bengali people lets learn about how Bangladesh is making progress!" to "Let's have some vaguely unfriendly discussion about what the term Bengali means. And include Angry-Biharis in there."

Well to solve the problem of this bengali thing for the LaBong guy ..... which we use to define the west bengalis as non liberated bengalis those who are under subjugation of the west Indians.

On the other hand Bengalis of Bangladesh are free and the liberated one those who represent Bengali culture and language internationally.

On topic.. how you are so sure that those posters were from Bangladesh of the you tube link that you have posted??? They could be Indian or Pakistani too.

Here among the Bangladeshi members that you have seen or see constantly bash every issue of Bangladesh are political activist of some certain party or blind follower of those party. Others are of bihari origin and sympathizer to the razakars. They think that praising any positive development means praising the government and this may help it again to come to power.

But many bangladeshis are frustrated because both the major political parties are corrupt. They are hampering the development of the country. Most of the people needs some change.

Politics is a business here Invest money and take a big return. But ordinary people also needs to blamed for this. They evade tax, give bribe to do their work. Currently only 1 million people out of 30 million eligible people pay tax. Just imagine if everyone would have given tax how much development would have happened in Bangladesh.

You will also be surprised that Bangladesh has numerous billionaire which may not be known to the world but it is a fact. I just posted an article few days ago though nobody posted any comment that recent report have said that more then 34 billion usd has been taken out in between 1990-2008.

http://www.defence.pk/forums/bangla...lew-out-bangladesh-between-1990-2008-gfi.html

By the way the main reason for anti India sentiment is because of the aggressive and anti state activity has been conducted by India.

1. Most of the recent unrest in RMG sector has been done by India.
2. Blocking of water and not giving due share of water.
3. Creating artificial barrier to block Bangladeshi export to India while flooding Bangladeshi market directly and through smuggling which now currently worth around 5 billion USD.
4. Conducting anti state activity. One of them was the Pilkhana Incident.
5. Airing all channels in Bangladesh but not letting to air any channel in India.

There are many more. When you will see there is a huge portion of the public is against certain thing then there must be some truth behind that.

Well to solve the problem of this bengali thing for the LaBong guy ..... which we use to define the west bengalis as non liberated bengalis those who are under subjugation of the west Indians.

On the other hand Bengalis of Bangladesh are free and the liberated one those who represent Bengali culture and language internationally.

On topic.. how you are so sure that those posters were from Bangladesh of the you tube link that you have posted??? They could be Indian or Pakistani too.

Here among the Bangladeshi members that you have seen or see constantly bash every issue of Bangladesh are political activist of some certain party or blind follower of those party. Others are of bihari origin and sympathizer to the razakars. They think that praising any positive development means praising the government and this may help it again to come to power.

But many bangladeshis are frustrated because both the major political parties are corrupt. They are hampering the development of the country. Most of the people needs some chan ge.

Politics is a business here Invest money and take a big return. But ordinary people also needs to blamed for this. They evade tax, give bribe to do their work. Currently only 1 million people out of 30 million eligible people pay tax. Just imagine if everyone would have given tax how much development would have happened in Bangladesh.

You will also be surprised that Bangladesh has numerous billionaire which may not be known to the world but it is a fact. I just posted an article few days ago though nobody posted any comment that recent report have said that more then 34 billion usd has been taken out in between 1990-2008.

http://www.defence.pk/forums/bangla...lew-out-bangladesh-between-1990-2008-gfi.html

By the way the main reason for anti India sentiment is because of the aggressive and anti state activity has been conducted by India.

3. Creating artificial barrier to block Bangladeshi export to India while flooding Bangladeshi market directly and through smuggling which now currently worth around 5 billion USD.
5. Airing all channels in Bangladesh but not letting to air any channel in India.

There are many more. When you will see there is a huge portion of the public is against certain thing then there must be some truth behind that.

Good!

Back on track! Now all we need is Buffy the Vampire, and the party begins.

flame_retardant is RAWAMI agent or probably an India loving Hindu Bangladeshi.

Brother @flame_retardant answer some of my questions if you don't mind. When is the last time you visited BD or do you
have an iota of understanding about current affairs of this country. There is a reason why bangladeshis bash their country now a days. The list is very long but do you know about the padma bridge scandal or the railway scandal of Suronjeet sen gupto. Your are talking about JICA imaginary investment in metro rail , do you know the condition of current roads and highways of BD. Almost everyday there are numerous incident of highway accidents. Bandladeshis don't have any high ecpectations but they
just got fed up with all these sorts of criminal dalals ruling BD.

And why are you using the term bengali instead of Bangladeshi?I am guessing you don't have much idea about you country of origin. :)

Many Bangladeshi members in PDF are biharis.
Don't think that just because they know Bengali language they are Bengalis.

Give us names of who you think is a bihari? As far as I know there unfortunately are no bihari bangladeshi members here on PDF except for genmirajborgza786 who unfortunately doesn't call
himself a Bangladeshi. Give us names if you know otherwise don't spout rubbish like a ignorant fool
And biharis are bangladeshi citizens , so what's your point?

Ok - I really don't know about this & I just don't care. It apparently means a lot to you guys but it means absolutely nothing to me. If you're going to talk about this, please do it elsewhere.

The point wasn't that one specific example. I've seen people posting in romanized-bangla bashing Bangladesh on Bengali newspapers. You'd be foolish to believe Bengali people aren't bashing Bangladesh in public forums.

But many bangladeshis are frustrated because both the major political parties are corrupt. They are hampering the development of the country. Most of the people needs some change.

You are expecting no corruption to happen overnight. That's not how the world works. It's much more realistic to look year to year and see whether there is improvement. And there is. Bangladesh's middle-class is growing - that's an sign of good things to come.

How about I ask you this: instead of negativity, teach me good things about Bangladesh. I'm pretty well-versed on Bangladeshi development these days so you'll have to work hard to teach me something new :)

I'm sure some of those things are true. But you have to look at the overall picture: does Indian development help Bangladesh. I'd say yes - so why expect perfection? The world is a tough place. Nothing is fair & ultimately it's about what's improving.

Also, India would be absolutely retarded to keep Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Nepal, other South Asian countries down. It makes 0 fiscal sense. We're each others' markets.

Nice article dear... But what do u expect from ur brothers, who see RAW hand even for local murders, kidnapping, and hell even rape....
The govt brings some good policy changes, and they yet they blame india and govt... If they cannot answer a question, they turn to bash religion.... But in reality, many BD do actually like India, but not in this forum !!
BD is a developing country, but here they wont accept.

this is not a proper response from a citizen of a nation who sees everything wrong in that nation is caused by ISI, just saying it

Ok - I really don't know about this & I just don't care. It apparently means a lot to you guys but it means absolutely nothing to me. If you're going to talk about this, please do it elsewhere.

The point wasn't that one specific example. I've seen people posting in romanized-bangla bashing Bangladesh on Bengali newspapers. You'd be foolish to believe Bengali people aren't bashing Bangladesh in public forums.

You are expecting no corruption to happen overnight. That's not how the world works. It's much more realistic to look year to year and see whether there is improvement. And there is. Bangladesh's middle-class is growing - that's an sign of good things to come.

How about I ask you this: instead of negativity, teach me good things about Bangladesh. I'm pretty well-versed on Bangladeshi development these days so you'll have to work hard to teach me something new :)

I'm sure some of those things are true. But you have to look at the overall picture: does Indian development help Bangladesh. I'd say yes - so why expect perfection? The world is a tough place. Nothing is fair & ultimately it's about what's improving.

Also, India would be absolutely retarded to keep Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Nepal, other South Asian countries down. It makes 0 fiscal sense. We're each others' markets.

Most of the bengalis you will find are bashing political parties not Bangladesh except some Jammati supporter those are blindly razakar supporter and some non bengali bangladeshis and their number are few.

None has dreamed or said corruption to be eliminated but it can be reduced to a great extant if there is will. Most of the corrupt people keep their money by purchasing flat, plot, depositing at the banks or buying bond or share etc. These can be easily traced and imposing fine and bringing them to giving due tax is quite possible.

Lastly, Indian politicians and bureaucratic system are mostly selfish, Indian ordinary public could be different. It is a different story. But looking recent development one can say closing their eye India wants to dominate and keep it's neighbor down while getting every benefit for itself only.

flame_retardant is RAWAMI agent or probably an India loving Hindu Bangladeshi.

Well he can be that? He may be a hindu too as he used words like Bengali and "Bengalis should be cheering India". I mean even die hard awamilegers don't say such nonsense. But I am guessing he
is just a naive foreigner of BD origin who know nothing about the current state of the country.

Brother @flame_retardant answer some of my questions if you don't mind. When is the last time you visited BD or do you
have an iota of understanding about current affairs of this country. There is a reason why bangladeshis bash their country now a days. The list is very long but do you know about the padma bridge scandal or the railway scandal of Suronjeet sen gupto. Your are talking about JICA imaginary investment in metro rail , do you know the condition of current roads and highways of BD. Almost everyday there are numerous incident of highway accidents. Bandladeshis don't have any high ecpectations but they
just got fed up with all these sorts of criminal dalals ruling BD.

2010 - I visited Bangladesh. And my understanding comes from sources like United Nations, Transparency International, EU, other agencies that collect & analyze raw hard data etc.

Here's what I think is the difference between us: I live in America & you live in Bangladesh. So I see the numbers, I see increased foreign investment into infrastructure in Bangladesh etc & I evaluate it as "Things are getting better!" and "Corruption rates are falling!" You see the same things & you see they're not happening fast enough or corruption still too high! You're conditioned to see negativity - I'm not. And part of it is because I live in a very powerful country so my quality of life is already extremely high.

But what I'm saying is: you need to open your mind & see the good that's happening & you need to talk about the good because it really has an effect on country perception.

And why are you using the term bengali instead of Bangladeshi?I am guessing you don't have much idea about you country of origin. :)

I know where I'm from. I just don't understand why everybody seems to care so much about a word. This is like up-is-down-land where a discussion of economic policy and current-affairs has turned into something so random & arbitrary it makes no sense to me.

Give us names of who you think is a bihari? As far as I know there unfortunately are no bihari bangladeshi members here on PDF except for genmirajborgza786 who unfortunately doesn't call
himself a Bangladeshi. Give us names if you know otherwise don't spout rubbish like a ignorant fool
And biharis are bangladeshi citizens , so what's your point?

Why is everyone obsessed with Biharis - it's so random...

... even more confused... what argument? I didn't even realize there was an argument... :( If you'd like to call Bangladeshi-Bengali as specifically Bangladeshi, that is 100% fine by me. I just use a different vernacular, which I already defined.

... sigh... Why is this happening to my thread? :( *sadface* I feel like I've taken a very strange, unexpected twist from "Hey! Bengali people lets learn about how Bangladesh is making progress!" to "Let's have some vaguely unfriendly discussion about what the term Bengali means. And include Angry-Biharis in there."

Here's your answer. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom