What's new

Challenges for GB government

WAJsal

SENIOR MODERATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
GILGIT-Baltistan (GB) is that forgotten corner of Pakistan which only catches the media’s attention when there is a natural disaster or an incident of terrorism. There is general confusion about the region’s status. Some consider it part of KP, while others place it in Kashmir, although the people of GB have neither linguistic nor ethnic connections with Kashmir or Jammu. Even the Pakistan government appears unsure about the status. Although it is administered directly by the federation, the government’s stated position is that GB is not part of Pakistan but is, in fact, a disputed territory.

The demand of the people of GB for integration with Pakistan has been persistently ignored. Whenever elections are held for electing representatives to a local assembly — essentially a local government-level institution — the people tend to align themselves with the government of the day in the vain hope of being identified as Pakistanis.

This is an identity for which they not only opted voluntarily but also struggled successfully. Unanimously in favour of joining Pakistan, they engaged the Dogras in a two-year battle. After the formal accession, the people thought they had become Pakistanis. To their dismay, they discovered they had been relegated to an adjunct of the Frontier province. Their fate was sealed by the 1951 Karachi Pact between the Pakistan government and Sardar Ibrahim, a Muslim Conference Kashmiri leader who did not represent this area. Apparently he did not consider it as part of Kashmir, and handed over the administration of this vast region to the Pakistan government.

The demand for GB to be granted its constitutional rights cannot be postponed further.

Initially, it was administered by the Frontier province, whose provincial government posted a junior civil servant as the area’s political agent. Incapable of understanding the implications of administering such a vast area spread over a difficult terrain, this gentleman took a shortcut and recommended the introduction of the Frontier Crimes Regulations (FCR) that could stifle and suppress dissent. This black law, a remnant of colonial rule, was thus tragically imposed by the provincial government on the people who had reposed trust in the state of Pakistan.

Later this area was handed over to the Kashmir affairs ministry where the new ‘viceroy’ was the joint secretary who lorded over the people of GB for many years. It was the PPP’s visionary leader Zulfikar Ali Bhutto who abolished the FCR as well as a few remaining princely states and introduced the regular civil administrative structure in GB, albeit still controlled by the centre.

In 1994, the PPP government introduced a Legal Framework Order giving GB limited authority over local affairs through an elected body. In 2009, the PPP promulgated an empowerment order that gave the region its distinct identity as Gilgit-Baltistan with a governor and chief minister, making it seem like Pakistan’s fifth province. Even though bureaucratic resistance towards devolving powers meant the PPP could not go far enough, it was a giant step towards mainstreaming GB.

During all these years, the Aga Khan Foundation, Marafie Foundation and other NGOs helped nurture a silent revolution in GB in education and poverty alleviation. Today, many villages in the area’s remotest corners have 100pc literacy. Along with it has come political awareness, and we now hear strong voices demanding constitutional rights. The people of GB sympathise with the populace of India-held Kashmir, accepting the flawed governance arrangements imposed upon themselves so as not to debunk the myth that devolving powers to GB will weaken the Kashmiri cause. However, when they see discrimination even in the empowerment of two ‘disputed’ territories, ie AJK and GB, they rightly question the wisdom of being denied their constitutional rights in the name of the Kashmiri cause.

The UN resolution regarding disputed territories as well as the decision of Pakistan’s Supreme Court enjoins the government to give GB complete autonomy. Every national political party that participated in the recent local assembly elections has made a firm commitment to conclusively settle this issue of constitutional rights and formal integration of the area into Pakistan. This is a crucial challenge. If the government again tries to postpone it, there will be strong reaction that can evolve into popular agitation. Yet another meaningless amendment in the governance structures is not an option.

Moreover, political governments neglected GB because it had no representation in federal institutions where resources were allocated. It was only during military regimes that GB received attention because of its strategic importance. Prior to the recent election, the prime minister announced a package that amounted to a mere political statement, as there are no allocations for it in the recent budget. The ambitious development programme in Pakistan is closely linked to this region as the economic corridor runs through the latter, and all mega hydropower projects and a dam are also envisaged to be located here. However, at a recent CPEC meeting, the government, did not deem it necessary to invite GB leaders.

The elected members of the Legislative Assembly must push the federation to settle the constitutional issue and urge for development that will be integrated with the corridor, benefiting the entire region. Against the backdrop of India’s hostile attitude, it is important to avoid any situation that can trigger large-scale agitation in this sensitive region. Thousands of Gilgiti and Balti soldiers have sacrificed their lives for Pakistan’s sovereignty. Even today on the icy heights of Siachen, these brave soldiers continue to confront the enemy, rightly proud of the fact that the GB-origin regiment, the Northern Light Infantry, is the most decorated regiment of the Pakistan Army.

PML-N has a majority. It should understand that if the impending storm is ignored further, a serious political movement may take birth that will not only disturb the peace in this highly sensitive area but will also compromise CPEC projects thereby putting at risk the dreams of a prosperous Pakistan. It will indeed be an epic tragedy, if the people of GB, having endured years of political shortchanging and disempowerment, finally lose their confidence in democratic solutions.

The writer, a former IGP Sindh, belongs to Gilgit-Baltistan.

Courtesy: Dawn.com

Credit: Afzal Ali Shigiri

@Slav Defence ,@Aether ,@syedali73 ,@Atanz ,@Jango ....

A very detailed, informative read, thought i’d share. There are facts regarding Gilgit-Baltistan that all of us should know. To begin with, one should know that Gilgit-Baltistan got liberated on it’s own, and later acceded to Pakistan, expecting to be formally made a part of Pakistan and get same rights as the rest of the country enjoys-something the region to this date craves. One issue that many Pakistanis are unfortunately not aware of, is the political and constitutional limbo of Gilgit-Baltistan.

In simpler words, they do not have representation in National assembly or Senate, they do not have a platform through which they could raise concerns of the region and a constitution that does not give them proper mention.

The fact that should concern is that our governments have done nothing to set the record straight on Gilgit-Baltistan, or even to give full citizenship rights to its people. It’s a task that must not be delayed any further.This is not about justice alone, though that should be enough to move on this count. Not granting full citizenship rights to the people of Gilgit-Baltistan is not only a travesty of justice; it is also breeding alienation among its people. They are still loyal to Pakistan after all these years of being denied their rights, but can we blame them if they feel that they are being discriminated against. With no voice in the parliament, a chief minister in Gilgit who works under a federal minister and all major decisions about their lives being taken in Islamabad, what options do they have to be heard?

On a personal note, as a Gilgiti and as a Pakistani first, i feel betrayed by the state. Importance of the issue is understood, contant ignorance further fuels the fire, nothing different than adding salt to the wound. This is an issue our government takes for granted, with no real intention of solving it. There certainly is no question on patriotism; the state has failed to meet the concerns of genuine patriots.

What the article fails to mention is how incompetent, or how powerless Legislative assembly of Gilgit-Baltistan really is: it's powerless and it only has limited jurisdiction over few departments. The Federal Ministry of Kashmir and Gilgit-Baltistan calls the shots in the region and has absolute authority over Gilgit-Baltistan. Long story short federal government is in control and the legislative assembly has very less or no power, everything, even the smallest of appointments have to be cleared by the federal government, real authority is with the central government. Gilgit-Baltistan Council is chaired by the Prime Minster of Pakistan and not by a local representative. Therefore, real authority still lies with the Council rather than the elected representatives in the Assembly. This has created a sense of deprivation among the people of the region that they can’t make the decisions about their area through their elected representatives.

The Gilgit-Baltistan assembly with its limited authority has been completely ineffective in articulating the interests of the people it represents and its elitist legislators are like their counterparts elsewhere in the country. They have found it opportune to dance to the tunes of their political bosses in Islamabad and convenient not to raise issues close to the heart of their constituents for the fear of upsetting those who patronize them. They are content with their petty pieces of the power pie. Even when they raise the issue, they do it without conviction.

Administrative approach adopted towards Gilgit-Baltistan is not only different from the four directly ruled provinces, but that it is also different from other indirectly- ruled areas such as FATA and Azad Jammu and Kashmir. These areas enjoy more autonomy, although AJK’s case is no different than that of Gilgit-Baltistan, it too doesn’t enjoy same rights as that of other provinces.

Will not get into further details, as i have i stated this issue many times in the past. Solution can be too give the region what the locals are asking for-a provincial status, equal rights. Since, accepting this demand will hurt our stance on Kashmir issue, a special-status, can be a temporary solution, calling for proper constitutional and political rights, giving political representation to the region. Something is not so tough or time consuming to implement.

Justice system in Gilgit is also unique in itself, more details here: Territorial limits

I will end this post with a request to you all( the reason why i started this thread), please spread this message(share it with your colleagues if you can), create an awareness, we all support this cause for more rights and autonomy, the more the general public in other parts of Pakistan know of this problem, the stronger our voice; united as a nation we can achieve anything. Do not think of this as a favor on me, do this for the ‘Pakistani cause’, equality and freedom is what we fought for, help your brothers in need. Spread the message. 69 years is more than enough, how much more are we going to stretch this issue. The area has a huge strategic value to Pakistan, No one has really addressed the problems of this region. Instead of making all these fake promises. It is essential that the legislators, think tanks and policy makers in Pakistan resolve this issue on a priority basis, before there is a sense of deprivation in the region.

(I know i keep pushing this issue, a good article i had to share my thoughts with it. I know i got a bit emotional in the end, this issue is very alarming and i hope we can do our part to raise voice for the locals)
I hope it is a good read and please take in consideration, my request....

@Icarus ,@unleashed ,@S.U.R.B. ,@Side-Winder ,@scorpionx .......

Last edited:
I agree with you on this issue
General public if educated about the issue, will give it's support. There was something that i wanted from you, i hope you carried it out. Quoted part.
I will end this post with a request to you all( the reason why i started this thread), please spread this message(share it with your colleagues if you can), create an awareness, we all support this cause for more rights and autonomy, the more the general public in other parts of Pakistan know of this problem, the stronger our voice; united as a nation we can achieve anything. Do not think of this as a favor on me, do this for the ‘Pakistani cause’, equality and freedom is what we fought for, help your brothers in need. Spread the message. 69 years is more than enough, how much more are we going to stretch this issue. The area has a huge strategic value to Pakistan, No one has really addressed the problems of this region. Instead of making all these fake promises. It is essential that the legislators, think tanks and policy makers in Pakistan resolve this issue on a priority basis, before there is a sense of deprivation in the region.

General public if educated about the issue, will give it's support. There was something that i wanted from you, i hope you carried it out. Quoted part.

Yes I will in my humble capacity.

The area has huge strategic value. As far as my experience and interaction with people is concerned, GB produced more loyal and battle worthy soldiers as compared to other parts of Pakistan. They are better Pakistani as compared to other. Civilians, voluntary fought in Sciachin conflict. Performance of NLI is far more better than other infantry regiments. During my tenure at Sciachin I used to prefer Balti soldiers in my team , considering difficulty of terrain.

There is the sense of deprivation among people
because they don't have any representations in national assembly and senate. They don't have any voice in Islamabad. Similarly in azad kashmir one chief secretary is controlling whole state. Elected AK government can't appoint chief secretary. So there is the sense of deprivation in azad kashmir as well. They don't have any representation in national power politics.
These are the factors leading to discontent among public.

These are the factors leading to discontent among public.
Yes, well pointed out, i have done everything i can to emphasize this issue, please do your part and share it and tell them to share it. The more the awareness we create the better.
During my tenure at Sciachin I used to prefer Balti soldiers in my team , considering difficulty of terrain.
Are you ex-military?
GB produced more loyal and battle worthy soldiers as compared to other parts of Pakistan. They are better Pakistani as compared to other. Civilians, voluntary fought in Sciachin conflict. Performance of NLI is far more better than other infantry regiments
NLI is quite bad ***, all regiments are quite capable, yes NLI is rated high, though.
because they don't have any representations in national assembly and senate. They don't have any voice in Islamabad. Similarly in azad kashmir one chief secretary is controlling whole state. Elected AK government can't appoint chief secretary. So there is the sense of deprivation in azad kashmir as well. They don't have any representation in national power politics.
Exactly they don't have a say, very sad state of affairs.

I used to prefer Balti soldiers in my team
Baltis are quite tough, not as tough as us Hunzik or Gilgitis, lol. I have many family members serving in PA, i have been to Bunji many times. You will know of Bunji.

Yes, well pointed out, i have done everything i can to emphasize this issue, please do your part and share it and tell them to share it. The more the awareness we create the better.
Yes. stitch in time saves nine.

Are you ex-military?
not yet

Baltis are quite tough, not as tough as us Hunzik or Gilgitis, lol. I have many family members serving in PA, i have been to Bunji many times. You will know of Bunji.

Balti. This terminology we used to use for all soldiers belong to nothren areas. Because it was nickname of my immediate senior. Sorry for offence :)

@WAJsal The economic and financial resource distribution is genuine demand of neither GB government but of Azad Kashmir Government as well as of Balochistan government. On this issue I can't argue. But for political representation and political rights, Both analysis quite conveniently ignored to include the reactions it will bring froth from Kashmir Side. Judging by the recent reaction of PM of Azad Kashmir, it is a very bumpy and messy road to begin with and it will only bring a civil war situation among both sides. Ultimate benefit would go to Sectarian extremists of GB

But for political representation and political rights, Both analysis quite conveniently ignored to include the reactions it will bring froth from Kashmir Side. Judging by the recent reaction of PM of Azad Kashmir, it is a very bumpy and messy road to begin with and it will only bring a civil war situation among both sides. Ultimate benefit would go to Sectarian extremists of GB
Current system is beyond acceptable, GB is facing a crisis, issue is never taken seriously, will this not create sense of deprivation. All power in the center, federal makes the moves, if you have read it no need to get into details. A special status would do, even though Gilgitis demand a provincial status- calling for more political and constitutional rights, same for AJK. They too don't have representation in NA or Senate, or proper Constitutional rights. No platform to raise GB's voice, sad state of affairs. Personally for me, as a Gilgiti, i feel betrayed, this is what we fought for, been so many years and still missing out on basic rights.
I hope you would share this thread as i requested members to do so.
quoted part.

as a Gilgiti and as a Pakistani first, i feel betrayed by the state
Its not only you, ask anyone in GB, he will answer same

Aga Khan Foundation, Marafie Foundation and other NGOs helped nurture a silent revolution in GB in education and poverty alleviation
Aga Khan foundation has a phenomenal role in uplifting Education and health sectors for last many decades in GB. It is not the only hope of people of GB but Govt is also relying on its support. Since, AKF has strengthen many Govt institutions through their technical and financial contribution.

Spread the message. 69 years is more than enough, how much more are we going to stretch this issue. The area has a huge strategic value to Pakistan, No one has really addressed the problems of this region. Instead of making all these fake promises. It is essential that the legislators, think tanks and policy makers in Pakistan resolve this issue on a priority basis, before there is a sense of deprivation in the region

69 years of deprivation. It a height of *****, I guess time has come to make a final decision. While, our think tanks, poicy makers are busy making money $$$.

The area has a huge strategic value to Pakistan
Not only strategic value, however, if we look at economic aspect whole CPEC is mess without GB. And more alarming thing is we are getting nothing out of it.

A very detailed, informative read, thought i’d share. There are facts regarding Gilgit-Baltistan that all of us should know. To begin with, one should know that Gilgit-Baltistan got liberated on it’s own, and later acceded to Pakistan, expecting to be formally made a part of Pakistan and get same rights as the rest of the country enjoys-something the region to this date craves. One issue that many Pakistanis are unfortunately not aware of, is the political and constitutional limbo of Gilgit-Baltistan.

In simpler words, they do not have representation in National assembly or Senate, they do not have a platform through which they could raise concerns of the region and a constitution that does not give them proper mention.

The fact that should concern is that our governments have done nothing to set the record straight on Gilgit-Baltistan, or even to give full citizenship rights to its people. It’s a task that must not be delayed any further.This is not about justice alone, though that should be enough to move on this count. Not granting full citizenship rights to the people of Gilgit-Baltistan is not only a travesty of justice; it is also breeding alienation among its people. They are still loyal to Pakistan after all these years of being denied their rights, but can we blame them if they feel that they are being discriminated against. With no voice in the parliament, a chief minister in Gilgit who works under a federal minister and all major decisions about their lives being taken in Islamabad, what options do they have to be heard?

On a personal note, as a Gilgiti and as a Pakistani first, i feel betrayed by the state. Importance of the issue is understood, contant ignorance further fuels the fire, nothing different than adding salt to the wound. This is an issue our government takes for granted, with no real intention of solving it. There certainly is no question on patriotism; the state has failed to meet the concerns of genuine patriots.

What the article fails to mention is how incompetent, or how powerless Legislative assembly of Gilgit-Baltistan really is: it's powerless and it only has limited jurisdiction over few departments. The Federal Ministry of Kashmir and Gilgit-Baltistan calls the shots in the region and has absolute authority over Gilgit-Baltistan. Long story short federal government is in control and the legislative assembly has very less or no power, everything, even the smallest of appointments have to be cleared by the federal government, real authority is with the central government. Gilgit-Baltistan Council is chaired by the Prime Minster of Pakistan and not by a local representative. Therefore, real authority still lies with the Council rather than the elected representatives in the Assembly. This has created a sense of deprivation among the people of the region that they can’t make the decisions about their area through their elected representatives.

The Gilgit-Baltistan assembly with its limited authority has been completely ineffective in articulating the interests of the people it represents and its elitist legislators are like their counterparts elsewhere in the country. They have found it opportune to dance to the tunes of their political bosses in Islamabad and convenient not to raise issues close to the heart of their constituents for the fear of upsetting those who patronize them. They are content with their petty pieces of the power pie. Even when they raise the issue, they do it without conviction.

Administrative approach adopted towards Gilgit-Baltistan is not only different from the four directly ruled provinces, but that it is also different from other indirectly- ruled areas such as FATA and Azad Jammu and Kashmir. These areas enjoy more autonomy, although AJK’s case is no different than that of Gilgit-Baltistan, it too doesn’t enjoy same rights as that of other provinces.

Will not get into further details, as i have i stated this issue many times in the past. Solution can be too give the region what the locals are asking for-a provincial status, equal rights. Since, accepting this demand will hurt our stance on Kashmir issue, a special-status, can be a temporary solution, calling for proper constitutional and political rights, giving political representation to the region. Something is not so tough or time consuming to implement.

Justice system in Gilgit is also unique in itself, more details here: Territorial limits

(I know i keep pushing this issue, a good article i had to share my thoughts with it. I know i got a bit emotional in the end, this issue is very alarming and i hope we can do our part to raise voice for the locals)
I hope it is a good read and please take in consideration, my request....

@Icarus ,@unleashed ,@S.U.R.B. ,@Side-Winder ,@scorpionx .......
A very beautiful read bro. keep up the excellrnt job and spread the word

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom