What's new

Capabilities of PAF Dassault MIRAGE-III/V.

Should Pakistan upgrade its Mirages to South African Cheetah standard if not Beyond?

• Yes

Votes: 180 58.8%
  • No

Votes: 126 41.2%

• Total voters
Ok news to me

never knew mirage serviceability is better than 4th gen fighter

So now mirage after waving a wand go through overhaul less often than new gen fighters

Its also new to me that turbojet engines are now better than turbofan engines..

Numbers matter in air combat. By some calculations, more than with ground forces. There are papers and mathematical calculations even about this since WWII. Reducing your aircraft by half as you suggested would not give the same capability (and you didn't even mention what you want to replace them with).

PAF had its entire fighter fleet in the sky in the recent standoff, even that should be a glimpse into the numbers issue.

Numbers matter in air combat. By some calculations, more than with ground forces. There are papers and mathematical calculations even about this since WWII. Reducing your aircraft by half as you suggested would not give the same capability (and you didn't even mention what you want to replace them with).

PAF had its entire fighter fleet in the sky in the recent standoff, even that should be a glimpse into the numbers issue.
It is a combination of both. capability and balanced numbers.

Just like the subs that went to Canada; look at the billions they spent to get them working. Do you want to go thru the same ordeal. Thanks but no thanks. Last good plane the British made was the Hunter; that was long back in the 50's.
Harrier? Hawk?

I think the PAF looked into the Tornadoes before getting the A5s. I was told they did not like the plane. I understand it is a good plane for terrain hugging but all said and done we have moved on and do not want to go back.
A

It was actually evaluated in the 90s and found to be maintenance heavy.

I heard that the Swiss are looking to sell off their Mirage IIIs which they retired sometime back. Anyone knows if the PAF is negotiating a deal on this or not?

Could be a great buy given how well maintained and minimally used these birds are. They are also sporting a specially strengthened body. Given that they are Swiss, I heard they also come with chocolate and wrapped in gold foil.
Agreed, definitely worth looking at.

Ultimately, even with the JF-17 Block-3 (and later), new F-16s (if the news is accurate), and Project Azm, the PAF should consider keeping the Mirages around for as long as possible.

There might be value in keeping a 100 or so dedicated ALCM/SOW launchers in addition to the GLCM/SLCM and BM forces. I mean, forget the conventional role entirely -- build a strategic air element around 100+ Mirages.

Strip out the radar and seal/eliminate radio emissions where doable, zero-hour the engine and airframe (talk to Denel), enable/maintain night-time flight, and pursue a 1,000+ km ALCM.

Last edited:

Ultimately, even with the JF-17 Block-3 (and later), new F-16s (if the news is accurate), and Project Azm, the PAF should consider keeping the Mirages around for as long as possible.

There might be value in keeping a 100 or so dedicated ALCM/SOW launchers in addition to the GLCM/SLCM and BM forces. I mean, forget the conventional role entirely -- build a strategic air element around 100+ Mirages.

Strip out the radar and seal/eliminate radio emissions where doable, zero-hour the engine and airframe (talk to Denel), enable/maintain night-time flight, and pursue a 1,000+ km ALCM.

Sounds deadly and a role that is unlikely to become obsolete in a hundred years. @denel what do you think?

I like what you are doing but sometimes you mix reality with fiction. This is a simple equation and it is about replacing the old F7 and Mirage squadrons with a combination of JF17 and F16s. We are almost done with the F7s except for a couple of PG squadrons. PAF gets our smartest and brightest, don’t second guess them like the idiot Ma$taan. This is about Grey Matter.

Back
Top Bottom