What's new

Capabilities of PAF Dassault MIRAGE-III/V.

Should Pakistan upgrade its Mirages to South African Cheetah standard if not Beyond?

• Yes

Votes: 180 58.8%
  • No

Votes: 126 41.2%

• Total voters
For the force which is still stuck F7, a suggestion to retire this old timer would be a straight forward heresy. I don't know when will they use a bit of mind and upgrade the fleet

Pakistan is building/assembling JF-17 at snails pace. These fighters are better than F-7 and Mirages and should replace them. Only starting in 2016 will the production of JF-17 will increase from current 15 to reported 24.

And that will cost almost the same as a new build JFT.
Hence the investment in JFTs.
Yes, but to be honest the ideal replacement for the Mirage ROSE II/III would be the FC-31, in as far as strike capabilities go.

Yes, but to be honest the ideal replacement for the Mirage ROSE II/III would be the FC-31, in as far as strike capabilities go.
Maybe yes for SEAD/DEAD missions, but for majority of roles that are currently performed by Mirages the replacement is JFT.
Remember PAF developed it as a replacement for both F-7s and Mirages. Although it seems that the priority at the moment is to replace the F-7s eventually Mirages will be replaced by JFTs too.
Mirages even with upgraded avionics and engine will remain a fatigued third gen airframe while with JFT you are getting a brand new fourth gen machine, with which you can mate any weapon that you can get your hands on.

Pakistan is building/assembling JF-17 at snails pace. These fighters are better than F-7 and Mirages and should replace them. Only starting in 2016 will the production of JF-17 will increase from current 15 to reported 24.
We just cant enrol 150 in an year just like you cant eat 10 rotis in 1 time no matter how hungry you are.
Snail pace is good as JFT program is still in development phase any problems that are found can be eradicated for the other upcoming aircrafts,although i agree 15 is a little too low but compared to the production pace of the mighty carbon fibre tejas it is 15x higher LOL ........:cheesy::cheesy:

Last edited:
Were PAF Mirage III/V ever re-engined, or was this considered (+if yes, why wasn't it done)? E.g. with Atar09K-50 (Mirage F1, Atlas Cheetah) or with the Klimov SMR-95 (RD-33 variant), which South Africa tried on their Atlas Cheetah, and which is a close relative to the RD-93 powering JF-17?
indeed i had asked this exact question earlier; i was at atlas when this was done. But right now, i think there is no incentive to upgrade as these aircraft will be retired once jf-17 program is fullfilled.
the cheetah was a superb beauty. A friend was working on the lavi jv as well; if that had come to fruitfulness, F16 would have had a good competition.

indeed i had asked this exact question earlier; i was at atlas when this was done. But right now, i think there is no incentive to upgrade as these aircraft will be retired once jf-17 program is fullfilled.
the cheetah was a superb beauty. A friend was working on the lavi jv as well; if that had come to fruitfulness, F16 would have had a good competition.

Snecma Atar
2190099.jpg

SMR-95
135784_big.jpg

Kfir C12 (J-79)
Kfir-C12-Red-Flag-1.jpg

Pakistan AF Mirage ROSE upgraded fighter with Air Refueling Probe.
12671924_474694102735420_8228211554736989625_o.jpg

Did you know ?? These Mirage fighters have completed their airframe life but still they are active in service with PAF and doing very good job than Chinese made F-7Ps and that's why Pakistan is replacing F-7Ps first with JF 17 Thunder fighters.Believe it or not PAF Mirage fighters are capable for carrying Nuclear cruise missiles , Anti Runway bombs , Anti-Surface bombs ,Anti-Ship missiles and include some short range Air to Air missiles.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom