What's new

Calcutta Hindu-Muslim Riot of August 1946 and its Impact on East Bengal

oh really..!! what would Hindu bengalis be in that great bengal federation? ur slaves???

he meant that Bengali Hindus would have joined a Bengal nation under the umbrella of an anti-Hindu political party named Muslim League, sounds bizarre. :lol::lol:

The riots were started by party workers of Muslim League who attacked Hindu neighbourhood after a hate-infested rally and speeches by Muslim League in Calcutta.

Main intension of direct action day was to force Congress to accept partition.

@ Where is the doubt ? Once Cabinet Mission PLan was not accepted by Congress for united India there was no other options left to the Muslims of India.

Yeah everyone knows that. It's just that this last option was indulging in riots is something that hurts.
@ Where is the doubt ? Once Cabinet Mission PLan was not accepted by Congress for united India there was no other options left to the Muslims of India.

What is the point of this thread? To show one group as a victim? The article itself seems pretty balanced .

Muslims dont need a reason to start rioting, they just do. Even with 13% population today, they start riots in India, so 25% is a pretty comfortable number for them.

Hosorical facts dont change, about how you muslims backstabbed us, killed us and sneakily squeezed out a nation for yourselves while we Hindus gave our blood fighting the British for our independence. All you Muslim League leaders and people did was see how to worship your gora masters, while we actually got them out of here only to be backstabbed by you people.

@ Here I agree little bit with you. It is true that you Bengali Hindus had been fighting against British for more than 3 decades and during these 3 decades we had been supporting the British. Let me take the privilage to explain little bit :

1. In the true sense the Hindus never accepted the dominance of Muslims for 7/8 centuries in the Indian Sub-continent. Once the East India Company came to Bengal most of the upper class Hindus supported, collaborated and finally conspired to defeat the Muslim rulers of Bengal. The Battle of Pallassay of 1757 is the glaring example. Nowab Seraj Daulla was bitterly criticised by most of the Hindu Historian writers.

2. Once East India Company and finally British Govt captured power in India the Hindus were the most beneficial lots. Majority of Muslims remained isolated. Throughout 150 years these Hindu Babu's dominated in the society, may be a "Daroga", Principal, Headmaster, DC, SP, SDO. During these years at best Muslims were clerks, Head cLerks, Peons, Constables, common soldiers, Hawelders etc. In those days most of the Zaminders were Hindus. In many places of East Bengal slaughtering cows were for bidden. People were not allowed to wear even a "Longi", they were forced to wear "Langoti".

3. Lately the Muslims of East Bengal realized the truth. Now, they started going to schools and colleges instead of going to "Maktub and Madrasas ". In those days the Muslim students were not allowed to go to "Patshala" being maintained by the Hindu Zaminders. In this way in 1905 the Bengal was Partitioned by the British on administrative ground. This movement was welcomed by the majority Muslims of East Bengal but on contrary it was not at all liked by the Hindus of Bengal. Soon the anti-partition movement was started. Quickly two organization named, "Onushilon and Juganter " were formed throughout Bengal. These organization were termed as terrorist organization by the British but Hindus considered them as patriot. Many British administrative officers were killed and finally the the Partition of Bengal was annulled in 1911. THrough out this period Muslims of East Bengal remained silent but they formed a new political party named as " Muslim Leaque" in 1906. The members of "Onushilon and Jugantar" continued the movement till 1930's. Many leaders like Mater Da Surja Sen, Pitilota joined in this nationalistic movement. But the majority of Muslims remained isolated. And so on.........

This thread was started to bash Hindus. Muslim League later felt disappointed for not getting the non-Muslim majority areas in West Bengal,East Punjab and entire Assam for their Muslim homeland.

@ Here I agree little bit with you. It is true that you Bengali Hindus had been fighting against British for more than 3 decades and during these 3 decades we had been supporting the British. Let me take the privilage to explain little bit :

1. In the true sense the Hindus never accepted the dominance of Muslims for 7/8 centuries in the Indian Sub-continent. Once the East India Company came to Bengal most of the upper class Hindus supported, collaborated and finally conspired to defeat the Muslim rulers of Bengal. The Battle of Pallassay of 1757 is the glaring example. Nowab Seraj Daullaw wsa bitterly criticised by most of the Hindu Historian writers.

2. Once East India Company and finally British Govt captured power in India the Hindus were the most benificial lots. Majority of Muslims remained isolated. Throughout 150 years these Hindu Babus dominated in the society, may be a "Daroga", Principal, Headmaster, DC, SP, SDO. During these years at best Muslims were clerks, Head cLerks, Peons, Constables, common soldiers, Hawelders etc. In those days most of the Zaminders were Hindus. In many places of East Bengal slaughtering cows were for bidden. People were not allowed to wear even a "Longi", they were forced to wear "Langoti".

3. Lately the Muslims of East Bengal realized the truth. Now, they started going to schools and collages instead of going to "Maktub and Madrasas ". In those days the Muslims students were not allowed to go to "Patshala" being maintained by the Hindu Zaminders. In this way in 1905 the Bengal wsa Partitioned by the British on administrative ground. This movement was welcomed by the majority Muslims of East Bengal but contrary it was not at all liked by the Hindus of Bengal. Soon the anti-partition was started. Quickly two organization named, "Onushilon and Juganter " were formed throughout Bengal. These organization were termed as terrorist organization by the British but Hindus considered them as patriotic. Many British administrative officers were killed and finally the the Partition of Bengal was annulled in 1911. THrough out this period Muslims of East Bengal remained silent but they formed a new political party named as " Muslim Leaque" in 1906. The members of "Onushilon and Jugantar" continued the movement till 1930's. Many leaders like Mater Da Surja Sen, Phitilota joined in this nationalistic movement. But the majority of Muslims remained isolated. And so on.........

1. You forgot to mention the main traitor Mir Jafar who sold Bengal to British.

2. Zamindars were not selective to Muslims, they were exploiting everyone. In west Pakistan all Zamindars.

3. Hindus weren't responsible for Muslims lagging behind.

1. You forgot to mention the main traitor Mir Jafar who sold Bengal to British.

2. Zamindars were not selective to Muslims, they were exploiting everyone. In west Pakistan all Zamindars.

3. Hindus weren't responsible for Muslims lagging behind.

He he he if you believe what you have written then you do not know jack **** about Hindu Muslim relation before 1947.

muslim bengalis died in kolkata riots. i think noakhali was after effect of that riot

sad lot of people died.

Noakhali genocide was indeed after effect. It started the day of Kojagari Lakshmi puja in November I guess. The Great Calcutta killings took place in Aug.

In Calcutta it was even. Then in Noakhali, Muslims killed Hindus and in response to Noakhali large number of Muslims were massacred in Bihar and United Provinces by Hindus. Thus it spread all over India and at the beginning of 47, in March with Rawalpindi massacre, the fire was lit in Punjab and this way the whole country burned. This way the violence went on and on and on.

It's sad and unfortunate that so many people were killed in the name of religion. But now it's past 65 years and people are much more matured. So we should move on rather than looking back to the pathetic incidents which had already made it's mark with red in the History of India. We should stop the blame game as well as it won't help us or serve any purpose as well.

That's what I feel!

He he he if you believe what you have written then you do not know jack **** about Hindu Muslim relation before 1947.

He mentioned zamindars but Muslim League was itself the political party of zamindars, nawabs and other elites. I know the things I have written. :lol:

@ I heard that in those days Muslim % was around 25 % in Calcutta City. How come the minority starts the rioting against the majority ? " Ashte bolen ", my son will laugh !!!

Bengal - 56% muslim , 42% hindu; Calcutta - 64% hindu , 33% muslim.

This thread was started to bash Hindus. Muslim League later felt disappointed for not getting the non-Muslim majority areas in West Bengal,East Punjab and entire Assam for their Muslim homeland.

That's true! These states were also as part of the initial plan of Pakistan.

Noakhali genocide was indeed after effect. It started the day of Kojagari Lakshmi puja in November I guess. The Great Calcutta killings took place in Aug.

In Calcutta it was even. Then in Noakhali, Muslims killed Hindus and in response to Noakhali large number of Muslims were massacred in Bihar and United Provinces by Hindus. Thus it spread all over India and at the beginning of 47, in March with Rawalpindi massacre, the fire was lit in Punjab and this way the whole country burned. This way the violence went on and on and on.

It's sad and unfortunate that so many people were killed in the name of religion. But now it's past 65 years and people are much more matured. So we should move on rather than looking back to the pathetic incidents which had already made it's mark with red in the History of India. We should stop the blame game as well as it won't help us or serve any purpose as well.

That's what I feel!

i think punjab riot was a disaster. if u compare it with bengal

i think punjab riot was a disaster. if u compare it with bengal

I guess you are right! It was more hostile. But overall the complete thing was a disaster. Partition happened well and good, but the way it happened, not acceptable at all.

Actually that era was cursed. First World War 2 - claiming 72,000,000 lives all over the world, then partition of India - claiming 300,000 lives.

Back
Top Bottom