What's new

British high commissioner calls CPEC ‘game changer’

Blue Marlin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
British high commissioner calls CPEC ‘game changer’
1010020-image-1450116118-871-640x480.JPG

Britain’s services sector is very enthusiastic about participating in CPEC projects.

LAHORE: British High Commissioner Philip Burton has put his country’s weight behind the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC), saying that the $46-billion mega project marks a new dawn for the South Asian country.

Burton, speaking during his visit to the under-construction Nishat Emporium in Lahore, said the international community was once again looking at Pakistan with confidence.

US keen to invest in economic corridor projects

“I am looking at a reverse of brain drain in Pakistan,” said Burton. “The CPEC would prove to be the game changer. A new Pakistan is emerging due to the state of the art development projects.”

He said the country’s security situation has improved significantly, which helps in stabilising the country’s economy.

However, he reminded Pakistani manufacturers to adhere to international conventions on human rights and labour standards for continued access to EU markets under the GSP Plus status.

“We would like Pakistani companies to have the best opportunities in EU markets. More British brands are coming to Pakistan, giving a boost to the domestic retail sector.”

Meanwhile, Nishat Group Chairman Mian Muhammad Mansha appreciated the keen interest and support of the British government. He said Britain’s services sector was very enthusiastic in participating in CPEC projects.

Mansha, while expressing his optimism over the CPEC, said he visited Urumqi in China and saw it buzzing with activity.

“My host in Urumqi is developing housing and hotels as he anticipates more activity with the CPEC. I asked an official of the communist party as to why they are supporting Pakistan all the way in this project.

“The official pointed out that China is land locked from three sides and Gwadar could prove to be hugely beneficial not just for China, but all central Asian states.

“This is the time for Pakistan to open up and take advantage of the corridor.”

Mansha called on the government to promote private sector projects through the auction of unutilised land, which he said would invite interest.

“We need state of the art shopping malls. The government can sell unutilised land, pay off its debt and let the private sector invest. Pakistan Railways alone is sitting on thousands of acres of land. It can become profitable if it sells that land through a transparent method.”
British high commissioner calls CPEC ‘game changer’ - The Express Tribune

e5343__68461874_68461873.jpg

More British brands are coming to Pakistan, giving a boost to the domestic retail sector.”

We don't need more imports. We need exports! And by the way, our domestic retail sector is strong; textiles, fashion, clothing, sports equipment, etc.

“This is the time for Pakistan to open up and take advantage of the corridor.”

It is YOU who needs to open up, not us. We are already taking advantage of the corridor, hello! We signed for it and it's in OUR country, and ALL this is happening because of OUR friend CHINA.

We don't need more imports. We need exports! And by the way, our domestic retail sector is strong; textiles, fashion, clothing, sports equipment, etc.

It is YOU who needs to open up, not us. We are already taking advantage of the corridor, hello! We signed for it and it's in OUR country, and ALL this is happening because of OUR friend CHINA.
There is nothing wrong with allowing foreign brands to operate here it will result in more jobs for our people ofcourse tax should be high so that tour local brands are given breathing space
BTW i thought you didnt like western style fashion shows?

There is nothing wrong with allowing foreign brands to operate here it will result in more jobs for our people

Bhai imports don't ''really'' create jobs and they take the Pakistani products our of the market.

ofcourse tax should be high so that tour local brands are given breathing space

Yes, we can do that, but they'll respond in kind and tax our products.

Bhai jaan, I was thinking of Pakistani salwar kameez for both men and women. And where did I mention ''liking'' Christendom fashion shows? And another thing, where did I mention I ''like'' Pakistani fashion shows?

There is nothing wrong with allowing foreign brands to operate here it will result in more jobs for our people ofcourse tax should be high so that tour local brands are given breathing space

fashion industry doesnt mean fashion shows.

Bhai imports don't ''really'' create jobs and they take the Pakistani products our of the market.

Yes, we can do that, but they'll respond in kind and tax our products.

Bhai jaan, I was thinking of Pakistani salwar kameez for both men and women. And where did I mention ''liking'' Christendom fashion shows? And another thing, where did I mention I ''like'' Pakistani fashion shows?
Well if they stop the 1% from shopping in Dubai they sure as hell create jobs here

Not an issue though our duties are higher :D

fashion industry doesnt mean fashion shows.
Relax i was just teasing him :p:

Relax i was just teasing him :p:

Yes, and I know you were. But here is some Islamic taleem, so long as the auria is covered and you're not trying to copy them, there is no problem. You liberals jump up and down about nationalism and that is why i talk about OUR cultural dress; salwar kameez if you have forgotten what it is!

Yes, and I know you were. But here is some Islamic taleem, so long as the auria is covered and you're not trying to copy them, there is no problem. You liberals jump up and down about nationalism and that is why i talk about OUR cultural dress; salwar kameez if you have forgotten what it is!

what makes you think i dont wear shalwar kameez?

Interesting to see the British ambassador taking interest in CPEC. Back in the colonial times Britain and Russia were playing a game of domination of Islamic lands. They called it the "Great Game". The game is still on but it has certainly changed. Now it is a game of trade and prosperity being played by Pakistan and China.Today both Britain and Russia are spectators in this new great game. Enjoy the game from the sidelines.

There's nothing wrong with imports. Look at Singapore, close to billions are made from storage, combined with a second to none logistical service that they've invested heavily in. Ports of Singapore?

Most clothing imports are from China, remember the Pakistan-China FTA?

So much hype over CPEC. Gwadar doesn't enjoy any unique advantages, hence I don't see CPEC as a game changer for Pakistan.

So much hype over CPEC. Gwadar doesn't enjoy any unique advantages, hence I don't see CPEC as a game changer for Pakistan.
Well gwadar saves a lot of time for the emerging super power china. Protects their supplies in case of war when malacca straits are closed. Will serve all of the central asian states once connected which cpec would do. Even russia would want it as it has been their ambition to have access to warm waters. Will give Pakistan two financial hubs alongside karachi. Would bring much needed development and peace to balochistan. Location is its greatest advantage.

Well gwadar saves a lot of time for the emerging super power china. Protects their supplies in case of war when malacca straits are closed. Will serve all of the central asian states once connected which cpec would do. Even russia would want it as it has been their ambition to have access to warm waters. Will give Pakistan two financial hubs alongside karachi. Would bring much needed development and peace to balochistan. Location is its greatest advantage.

Majority of China lives on east side. Chinese west is desert. Apart from connecting Xinajang to sea, I don't see how Chinese can benefit much from CPEC.

No member of the indian race will ever see CPEC as a game changer. Just like in 1998 many so called indian experts were saying that Pakistan can NEVER possess nuclear weapons. It is impossible for them to do so. That's why indian opinions and indianism should always be taken with a pinch of salt.

Majority of China lives on east side. Chinese west is desert. Apart from connecting Xinajang to sea, I don't see how Chinese can benefit much from CPEC.
They are trying to make the east be equal to the west. They are pouring loads of money into western china and we will benefit from that. As i said before its not only china but the whole of central asia and even russia who will use gwadar. Secondly the infrastructure projects in cpec will help us. Due to them by 2018 loadshedding would end and lahore-karachi motorway would be complete which would mean tou could travel from peshawar to karachi in a controlled access road without reducing speed below 120 kph. This would mean our whole country would be connected by motorways. There are a lot more benefits to Pakistan than you think.

Back
Top Bottom