What's new

BREAKING: First Astra test-firing from LCA Tejas just happened off India's west coast

NG Missile Vessels

Reaction score
Country
India

1692778640877.png

20230823_134812.jpg

downloadfile(16).jpg

downloadfile(15).jpg

Last edited:
The priority is to arm all of Su-30MKIs and Mig-29s, as the Russian missiles for those aircrafts are dated.
True but I guess, our DRDO guys want to get Astra series integrated so that they can tap export market as well. Many others use Rafale, and Astra Mk2 is pretty close to Meteor in capability (not that close though) at one third cost. It can help us as well

MKIs have tested Mk1 and 2, need to see about Mig 29.

The integration of Astra onto Tejas is a positive development. However, with the future addition of the Indian AESA radar UTTAM MK2, Tejas will be empowered to accommodate the Meteor missile. This enhancement will position it as an exceptionally versatile and capable 4th generation platform, capable of incorporating a wide array of global weaponry, excluding those from China.

Well done and succeed…… it is cheaper and equally efficient beyond visual range missile of 100 to 120km range. Once proven, there are a lot of buyers.

In a few years we can expect 160km Astra Mk-II on LCA Tejas
It may not take a few years. The Astra Mk2 is to go in for tests soon as well. I would expect it to be on the Tejas M1kA within a couple of years.

Any idea when it will be integrated on Rafales?

India has asked Dassault to integrate Indian weapons on the Rafale, but that will take some time for sure. No contract has been signed as yet, so I don't expect it to happen within the next year at least.

The weapons likely to be integrated would be the Astra Mk1, Astra Mk2, NG-ARM, SAAW, Rudram 1 and 2.

Do we have any ongoing project for IR seeking missile?

Not to my own knowledge. the ASRAAM is called the NG-CCM and will likely become the standard CCM across fleets.

But I sincerely hope that an Astra Mk1 based IR based long range missile is developed, like the R-27T IR BVRAAM.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom