What's new

Bollywood and its impact on Indo-Pak relations!

Norwegian

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Israel
I have been trying to start this thread for weeks, but it took me some time to revisit all the movies that I have seen over the years regarding Indo-Pak affairs. In my objective observation, most Bollywood movies made on the subject are not anti-Pakistan as a nation, rather they are anti-terrorism and anti-Army. They usually seek to expose Pakistan Army's alleged role in funding and training of armed Islamic Jihadis aka. 'terrorists' in their so-called holy war of 'Ghazwa-e-Hind'.
But at the same time, there are other movies that give us a positive message about peaceful coexistence, not only between our people but also between our radical governments and warring armies. Here are my all-time favorites in chronological order:

220px-Border1997.jpg

In 1971, along the border region of Longewala, a small battalion of Indian soldiers go up against a 2000-(armed) soldier Pakistani strike force.
Border (1997) - IMDb

DVDcover_missionkashmir.jpg

A police officer adopts the son and sole survivor of a family he has massacred while pursuing a terrorist. After some time the foster son finds out what the stepfather did.
Mission Kashmir (2000) - IMDb

220px-Gadar.jpg

In 1947, Tara, a Sikh truck driver in Punjab, meets and falls in love with a wealthy Muslim girl named Sakina, by accident during anti-Muslim riots whom he saves, courts and marries. Years later, Sakina travels to Pakistan to visit her father, now the mayor of a small Pakistan city, for a visit whom he tries to seperate her and Tara and force her into an arranged marriage with a wealthy man of her age and religion.
Gadar: Ek Prem Katha (2001) - IMDb

Herolovestoryofaspy.jpg

Arun Khanna is a spy for the Indian government whose aid is enlisted to stop ISI Chief Ishak Khan. Khan is trying to build a nuclear bomb with which he can liberate Kashmir from the Indians. A battle of wits ensues. When Khan detonates a bomb at Khanna's engagement party to a fellow spy, Khanna's resolve is only strengthened. Now not only does he have to fight Khan, but he also has to track down his missing fiancee.
The Hero: Love Story of a Spy (2003) - IMDb

img.jpg

The story of the love between Veer Pratap Singh, an Indian, and Zaara Hayaat Khan, a Pakistani...a love so great it knows no boundaries...
Veer-Zaara (2004) - IMDb

MV5BMjE1Mjg3NTY3NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjQyNDE0MQ@@._V1_SY317_CR5,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

An army major goes undercover as a college student. His mission is both professional and personal: to protect his general's daughter from a radical militant, and to find his estranged half-brother.
Main Hoon Na (2004) - IMDb

Ek_Tha_Tiger_theatrical_poster.jpg

RAW agent Tiger is on a mission to retrieve information from a scientist in Dublin.
Ek Tha Tiger (2012) - IMDb

MV5BMTYzOTE2NjkxN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDgzMTg0MzE@._V1_SY317_CR2,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

A stranger in the city asks questions no one has asked before. Known only by his initials, P.K.'s innocent questions and childlike curiosity will take him on a journey of love, laughter and letting-go.
PK (2014) - IMDb

Please let us know if any of these movies molded your views on Pakistan in a positive or negative way. Also add other movies in the list if you believe they had a greater impact on you, emotional or otherwise.

@13 komaun @[Bregs] @agamdilawari @airuah @Ajit Kumar @Ammyy @anant_s @Arav_Rana @ASB @Avik274 @Bagha @bhangi bava @bloo @blood @Blue_Eyes @Bombaywalla @Brahmos_2 @cerberus @Chanakya's_Chant @chhota bheem @danish_vij @desert warrior @DRAY @Echo_419 @eowyn @Etilla @farhan_9909 @Force-India @gau8av @genmirajborgza786 @Georgeclark @gslv mk3 @halupridol @haviZsultan @he-man @illusion8 @Ind4Ever @indiatester @IndoUS @Indrani @itachiii @ito @jaiind @JanjaWeed @kadamba-warrior @karan.1970 @khujliwal @Krate M @kurup @levina @lightoftruth @magudi @Major Shaitan Singh @Manindra @Marxist @me_itsme @Mike_Brando @MilSpec @Mukunda Murthi Rao @Nair saab @naveen mishra @noksss @Not Sure @Omega007 @OrionHunter @PARIKRAMA @pumkinduke @pursuit of happiness @r1_vns @rahi2357 @Rain Man @ranjeet @ravi Nair @RayOfLight @Razia Sultana @ROCKING @Rohit Patel @rubyjackass @Ryuzaki @sajan @SamantK @SAMEET @Samudra Manthan @SarthakGanguly @Sidak @Skull and Bones @Sneaker @SpArK @Spectre @sreekumar @Srinivas @SrNair @Star Wars @surya kiran @SwAggeR @Syama Ayas @Tea addict @thesolar65 @utraash @VeeraBahadur @vostok @WAR-rior @Water Car Engineer @wolfpack @wolfschanzze @Yogijaat

I have been trying to start this thread for weeks, but it took me some time to revisit all the movies that I have seen over the years regarding Indo-Pak affairs. In my objective observation, most Bollywood movies made on the subject are not anti-Pakistan as a nation, rather they are anti-terrorism and anti-Army. They usually seek to expose Pakistan Army's alleged role in funding and training of armed Islamic Jihadis aka. 'terrorists' in their so-called holy war of 'Ghazwa-e-Hind'.
But at the same time, there are other movies that give us a positive message about peaceful coexistence, not only between our people but also between our radical governments and warring armies. Here are my all-time favorites in chronological order:

220px-Border1997.jpg

Border (1997) - IMDb

220px-Gadar.jpg

Herolovestoryofaspy.jpg

img.jpg

Veer-Zaara (2004) - IMDb

MV5BMjE1Mjg3NTY3NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjQyNDE0MQ@@._V1_SY317_CR5,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

MV5BMTYzOTE2NjkxN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDgzMTg0MzE@._V1_SY317_CR2,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

PK (2014) - IMDb

Please let us know if any of these movies molded your views on Pakistan in a positive or negative way. Also add other movies in the list if you believe they had a greater impact on you, emotional or otherwise.

@13 komaun @[Bregs] @agamdilawari @airuah @Ajit Kumar @Ammyy @anant_s @Arav_Rana @ASB @Avik274 @Bagha @bhangi bava @bloo @blood @Blue_Eyes @Bombaywalla @Brahmos_2 @cerberus @Chanakya's_Chant @chhota bheem @danish_vij @desert warrior @DRAY @Echo_419 @eowyn @Etilla @farhan_9909 @Force-India @gau8av @genmirajborgza786 @Georgeclark @gslv mk3 @halupridol @haviZsultan @he-man @illusion8 @Ind4Ever @indiatester @IndoUS @Indrani @itachiii @ito @jaiind @JanjaWeed @kadamba-warrior @karan.1970 @khujliwal @Krate M @kurup @levina @lightoftruth @magudi @Major Shaitan Singh @Manindra @Marxist @me_itsme @Mike_Brando @MilSpec @Mukunda Murthi Rao @Nair saab @naveen mishra @noksss @Not Sure @Omega007 @OrionHunter @PARIKRAMA @pumkinduke @pursuit of happiness @r1_vns @rahi2357 @Rain Man @ranjeet @ravi Nair @RayOfLight @Razia Sultana @ROCKING @Rohit Patel @rubyjackass @Ryuzaki @sajan @SamantK @SAMEET @Samudra Manthan @SarthakGanguly @Sidak @Skull and Bones @Sneaker @SpArK @Spectre @sreekumar @Srinivas @SrNair @Star Wars @surya kiran @SwAggeR @Syama Ayas @Tea addict @thesolar65 @utraash @VeeraBahadur @vostok @WAR-rior @Water Car Engineer @wolfpack @wolfschanzze @Yogijaat
You have opened a pandora box

220px-Border1997.jpg

Border (1997) - IMDb

220px-Gadar.jpg

Herolovestoryofaspy.jpg

img.jpg

Veer-Zaara (2004) - IMDb

PK (2014) - IMDb

Well, there are several Bollywood movies are anti Pakistan but its also true that Bollywood also make movie which projects soft image of Pakistan which Lollywood yet to do.

Btw, movies are movies I would not interested in the movie which do extra propaganda.

One of my favorite movies made by Bollywood that involved Pakistan was this:
124.jpg

& the point where American Boss finds out that he has been duped and OBL is actually lovable Noora is the funniest moment in the movie.
images.jpg

only a very tiny minority of bollywood movies have theme related to pakistan, I dont think it can change the percepton much either negative or positive way. (compared 24/7 news for example)

220px-Border1997.jpg

Border (1997) - IMDb

220px-Gadar.jpg

Herolovestoryofaspy.jpg

img.jpg

Veer-Zaara (2004) - IMDb

PK (2014) - IMDb

you sure you not Indian ?
icon_mistrust.gif

not big on movies, seen border and mission kashmir years ago.. don't remember much of either :P

Tere Bin Laden was actually a comedy but later turned out to be historically accurate as Osama Bin Laden was killed by Americans in Pakistan the very next year. :sarcastic:
I guess the movie was banned in Pakistan, but a very funny and clean movie nonetheless. Most Indian comedies unfortunately border on vulgarity these days, TBL on the other hand was a thoroughly enjoyable family fare.
On this movie itself, can some Pakistani member tell more about Murgho ki Baang contest (as is shown in movie).

I believe most pakistanis love bollywood movies, they might not admit it.
Hardliners keep saying muslims are marginalised in india and blah blah blah.

But in bollywood, it is ruled by muslims, and i feel they dont pakistanis to see this as opposite to what they have been tought.

I would recomment you watch sarfarosh of amir khan and naseerudin shah

In my objective observation, most Bollywood movies made on the subject are not anti-Pakistan as a nation, rather they are anti-terrorism and anti-Army.
Pretty correct observation.
I suggest if you do get a chance to see an Amir Khan Movie Sarfarosh.
url.jpg

As you said, this is one movie which directly talks of ISI and Pakistan Army but no where does attacks the nation.
Of all the stereotypical scripts on the subject (most sunny movies are), this one stands out as a very well made movie and probably Amir's best work till date.
It also features a beautiful Ghazal by Late Jagjit Singh.

Why? It was a legit question since many of these movies have been banned in Pakistan so I had no opportunity to watch them until I moved here in Norway.
why my name was not in the list :nono:

now is that onli bollywood or indian media that uses anty pakistan sensationalism isnt it vice versa ?

what will you say to movies like Moosa Khan and WAR (onli two i know as not a fan of pakistani movie industry like many bollywood fans in land of the pure)

now isnt pakistani army using anty india paranioa since day one starting from 1948 (pehle zakham diya fir kured kured ke usse nasoor bana diya=first gave a wound and then with constant pin prikking made it a mortal wound)

as for movies like border im pretty sure hundreds of pakistani movies must have been made on same subjects (indo pak wars, ummah ki thekedaari and jihad in kashmir)

then why onli its indias responsibility to be "the good guy" and act like "big brother" with an always forgiving nature ?

so in short the trends have been changing and thats whats hurting "pakistani pride" am i wrong ... SIR :coffee:

why my name was not in the list :nono:

now is that onli bollywood or indian media that uses anty pakistan sensationalism isnt it vice versa ?

what will you say to movies like Moosa Khan and WAR (onli two i know as not a fan of pakistani movie industry like many bollywood fans in land of the pure)

now isnt pakistani army using anty india paranioa since day one starting from 1948 (pehle zakham diya fir kured kured ke usse nasoor bana diya=first gave a wound and then with constant pin prikking made it a mortal wound)

as for movies like border im pretty sure hundreds of pakistani movies must have been made on same subjects (indo pak wars, ummah ki thekedaari and jihad in kashmir)

then why onli its indias responsibility to be "the good guy" and act like "big brother" with an always forgiving nature ?

so in short the trends have been changing and thats whats hurting "pakistani pride" am i wrong ... SIR :coffee:

Trends have been changing, and yes it is hurting the pakistanis. Because the bollywood has become mature and doesnt demonise the pakistani people. It targets the rogue elements like in movies like BABY and D-Day

Back
Top Bottom