What's new

Blast in Pearl Continental Hotel

Yep. Another clear sign of the great success of the military offensives.

Increasing the bombing (probably to continue to line the $$ strewn pockets of those holding the "elite" positions in authority), has increased the veracity of the insurgent response.

Another disaster much like Iraq is ensuing, or possibly worse. Course it will be trumpeted as a success, and to an extent it is, since those needing their pockets lined will get them so done.

You'd have thought wiser heads existed, but clearly not.

Another prediction I'll make. The Swat and every other offensive won't make a blind bit of difference to what goes on in Afghanistan. In fact there will be a rise in the violence in Aghanistan, even though the Pakistan military is supposedly containing the insurgents that cross the border from their alleged havens. How terribly stupid the chickenhawks think some people are.

"The news" is reporting that Fazlullah probably reached Afghanistan.

Across the border?

A massive manhunt for key Taliban has been intensified after the death of two TNSM leaders who were thought to be in government custody. Their murder is thought to be a message from Maulana Fazlullah, who is being reported to have made it across the mountains to Paktia in Afghanistan with some key aides. Meanwhile, at home, the offer of head money for key Taliban figures has appeared prominently in newspapers. So far none of those on the list have been handed in. Whether this will in time happen is still to be seen. Similar offers have not worked in the past, in part because of the fear the Taliban use as their primary weapon. People need to be convinced that the Taliban will never return to wreak vengeance

What the hell is the obsession of terrorists with Hotels, I'll never know. First Marriot in Islamabad, then Taj and others in Mumbai and now this in Peshawar.

At least the reports are indicating that the hotels are no longer easy targets. The security forces stopped the terrorists and the attack was mainly on the check post outside the hotel and the bomb did not explode inside the hotel.

kudos to the security forces, they saved many lives ..... and salutations to all the braves who laid their lives in line of duty in truest of traditions

seems these nutters from AQ & ***-ociates cant get lodgings into a decent hotel so they want to blow them only everytime ...... bloody loosers I say

Yep. Another clear sign of the great success of the military offensives.

Increasing the bombing (probably to continue to line the $$ strewn pockets of those holding the "elite" positions in authority), has increased the veracity of the insurgent response.

Another disaster much like Iraq is ensuing, or possibly worse. Course it will be trumpeted as a success, and to an extent it is, since those needing their pockets lined will get them so done.

You'd have thought wiser heads existed, but clearly not.

Another prediction I'll make. The Swat and every other offensive won't make a blind bit of difference to what goes on in Afghanistan. In fact there will be a rise in the violence in Aghanistan, even though the Pakistan military is supposedly containing the insurgents that cross the border from their alleged havens. How terribly stupid the chickenhawks think some people are.

I do not know how many pockets are being lined and believe me RR i also hate the corruption and many things which are prevalent...but we cannot change the past and the current situation demands that i say this much...

The success of military offensive should be judged by the number of terrorists killed, bases destroyed, weapons seized/destroyed etc...
surely for the past years our state machinery was sleeping and did not do all that was needed to be done in support of their own citizens....
The MMA government was always sympathetic to such militants (it still is and will always be with the likes of double dealing Fazl ur Rehman) and that is why we did not see any major decisive engagement of these militants by the state apparatus, instead pro Taliban government servants were given free hand to manipulate the situation and the entire Swat population started hating the Army for inaction even though there was supposed to be a provincial government in place in NWFP...but that is the essence of it, people expect nothing from the government and a lot from PA which was not given freedom to operate in SWAT by the state machinery and the entire scope of the operation was limited to few areas whereas already there was heavy infiltration in the major cities where public executions were taking place...

We gave the militants room and freedom to run free in SWAT and now the price is heavy...if we still choose to sit on our behinds, the price will be that much heavier and not only will there be much more damage but the people of SWAT will forever hate their countrymen in abandoning them to the Butchers called TTP!

What is new about this terrorist attacks that we should attribute it to the new operation launched by military and call it all a failure?
Marriott was bombed twice, many hundreds of bombs were exploding all over Pakistan killing thousands of innocents even before the first bullet was fired by PA in this operation...
To attribute our misfortunes to this new operation is rather naive to say the least.

These terrorists have been at it for years, at least now these barbarians are also dying and suffering from the same medicine they have been giving to all of us sitting in Pakistan...
with the passage of time and continued military pressure, their networks will not be as capable as they were when there was no sword hanging over their heads...
One cannot expect them to stop their atrocities anytime soon but if this backlash of the terrorists is the reason we should stop the army operation then might as well disarm our military and bend over to whoever has the capability to inflict damage on Pakistan...

I also have a prediction to make, if Pakistan does not corner them in Waziristan and eliminate the network of foreign and local terrorists which have made it their home...our future will never be secure.

These violent attacks are the dying throes of a fish which has been driven out of water and it is our job to make sure we do not put this fish back in the water but kill it...

Last edited:
All i can say is this is one of the worst news for me this year. My house is just around 3 kilometers away from the Pearl Continental Hotel.. I've literally been in a state of shock but these kinds of terror attacks are to be expected in places where you would expect business men, foriegn journalists and expats. Good work by the security men may they rest in peace and those who died.

I have seen the movie of attack ,security was not proper at gate.It is alarming satuation GOP have to strengthen sercurity check posts and heavy concret baricades should be installed near all government building hotels,embassies,banks .

I have seen the movie of attack ,security was not proper at gate.It is alarming satuation GOP have to strengthen sercurity check posts and heavy concret baricades should be installed near all government building hotels,embassies,banks .

Have you seen the security at Khyber road?
leave the hotel, HOW the heck did 500kg of explosives get through to hotel in the first place when you cant even get a 10kg bag of flour into Peshawar?
Hotel security did they best they could. I personally knew some of those guards for two years who died. They lowered the barrier for the corolla to pass and the SOP is to raise the barrier for the next, But the second the corolla passed these guys shot the guard who controls the barrier. Then they sped over to the spot next to Marco polo restaurant where I used to park my car. the gate guard, Lali Jan who used ot work at the restaurant and many more along with the gm himself whom my father appointed lost their lives trying to save people.
So try to appreciate those people as well.
as far as lax security is concerned, I was in Al-Hamra compound in Riyadh in 2005 when they blew it up. And the security there would put Bagram airbase to shame.Still the attackers got through.

If anyone is to blame its the highups in Hashoo group for providing these people with sub standard equipment and dilly dallying on finance, and the government, for its pathetic checking standard where a family is checked while a bearded guy in shawl can walk across the check post with ease. Concrete barriers, reinforced walls do NOTHING when the bomb can be brought to the front gate.
Mark my words, PC pindi will be hit next. and that will be much much worse.

Last edited:
leave the hotel, HOW the heck did 500kg of explosives get through to hotel in the first place when you cant even get a 10kg bag of flour into Peshawar?
Hotel security did they best they could. I personally knew some of those guards for two years who died. They lowered the barrier for the corolla to pass and the SOP is to raise the barrier for the next, But the second the corolla passed these guys shot the guard who controls the barrier. Then they sped over to the spot next to Marco polo restaurant where I used to park my car. the gate guard Lali Jan and the gm himself whom my father appointed lost their lives trying to save people.
So try to appreciate that instead of critiquing them.
as far as lax security is concerned, I was in Al-Hamra compound in Riyadh in 2005 when they blew it up. And the security there would put Bagram airbase to shame.Still the attacker got through.

If anyone is to blame its the highups in Hashoo group for providing these people with sub standard equipment and dilly dallying on finance, and the government, for its pathetic checking standard where a family is checked while a bearded guy in shawl can walk across the check post with ease.

Now this is bad.

Security rarely gets the attention it deserves & brave souls bear the brunt.

Hotel security did they best they could. I personally knew some of those guards for two years who died. They lowered the barrier for the corolla to pass and the SOP is to raise the barrier for the next, But the second the corolla passed these guys shot the guard who controls the barrier. Then they sped over to the spot next to Marco polo restaurant where I used to park my car. the gate guard Lali Jan and the gm himself whom my father appointed lost their lives trying to save people.
So try to appreciate those people as well.
as far as lax security is concerned, I was in Al-Hamra compound in Riyadh in 2005 when they blew it up. And the security there would put Bagram airbase to shame.Still the attackers got through.

If anyone is to blame its the highups in Hashoo group for providing these people with sub standard equipment and dilly dallying on finance, and the government, for its pathetic checking standard where a family is checked while a bearded guy in shawl can walk across the check post with ease. Concrete barriers, reinforced walls do NOTHING when the bomb can be brought to the front gate.

Brother,
My critisim is for improvement in security equipment at gate,only steel automatic baracade can stop the vehs or truck ,i can forward you few pictures for your information.

Brother,
My critisim is for improvement in security equipment at gate,only steel automatic baracade can stop the vehs or truck ,i can forward you few pictures for your information.

irrespective Fundamentalist

whatever security measures you have in place one odd break through these terror groups will achieve ...... I am sure the security was best possible and the footage does show the security personnel actively working at the site .... its unfortunate that the explosives got thru but great job that it didnt get into the main building

The point is not whether it takes a metal pole or a tank to stop the trucks.
The point is the people who run it, i can bet a thousand bucks that you could have had a fortress at the Oberoi when Mumbai was hit, but the terrorist would have gotten through.Only intelligence and a thorough system of checks before any sensitive location will ensure the safety of the people. Treating cancer at its early stages is better to treat it when its terminal. The people at PC Pindi are equipped with sub standard guns and aren't even trained. Do you think they can stand up to any attack. The same goes for Marriott. The Hashwani company is run like an oligarchy. And as far as spending is concerned only the sycophants get their pay raises increased. nothing else gets approved or anybody pays attention when the whistle is blown, The same goes for our government. Its not the equipment but the people who have to change.

ps.. The steel automatic barricade's exist there.
Watch the video and you'll see they shot the guard who controls the barrier.

irrespective Fundamentalist

whatever security measures you have in place one odd break through these terror groups will achieve ...... I am sure the security was best possible and the footage does show the security personnel actively working at the site .... its unfortunate that the explosives got thru but great job that it didnt get into the main building

Nonsense

Security check post can be made bullet proof to protect at least security person inside, which can turn on the alarms immediately atleast.

Attack on Pakistan hotel fuels anger with Taliban​

Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:55am EDT

By Kamran Haider

PESHAWAR, Pakistan (Reuters) - A plaque on the wall of the guard booth at the gate of the Pearl Continental Hotel in the Pakistani city of Peshawar reads: "This hotel is protected by latest security system."

That system failed late on Tuesday night when militants forced their way through the gate and a suicide truck-bomber drove up to the hotel and set off his explosives bringing down a corner of the five-storey hotel.

Nine people were killed including two foreign U.N. workers. Rescuers were picking through the rubble looking for more victims on Wednesday while heavy lifters were pulling mangled cars from the wreckage.

Peshawar has for thousands of years been a hub and resting point for a succession of invaders, traders and pilgrims who have tramped through the Khyber Pass, the gateway to Afghanistan to the west of the city.

It lies in a fertile valley bordered by peaks and has also long been a center for ethnic Pashtun culture.

But these days the mood is grim and anger with the Taliban is seething.

"Our business has been ruined. If the situation continues like this I may move," said Mumtaz Askari, who owns a small book shop in the Storyteller's Bazaar in Peshawar's old city.

"Our lives are so insecure. You leave home in the morning and don't know if you'll return in the evening. Women can't go shopping and when children go to school you pray they'll come back safely," Askari said.

"Eliminate them once and for all, they're enemies of humanity," he said of the Taliban.

Kalimullah, an Afghan working as a waiter in a nearby roadside cafe serving roasted goat and flat bread, said very few people were going out to eat.

"I came here to work because there was peace but now it's the same as Afghanistan," he said. "They're not Muslims. A Muslim wouldn't slaughter people like this. They're worse than the Afghan Taliban."

SAD, ANGRY, WORRIED

The Pearl Continental, or PC as it's known, has for years been a favorite haunt of foreign aid workers, journalists and the odd tourist, plus well-heeled and powerful Pakistanis.

In the 1980s, leaders of Afghanistan's holy warrior factions battling Soviet occupiers in their homeland over the nearby border regularly held meetings and news conferences in the hotel.

After the September 11, 2001, attacks on the United States journalists again flocked to the PC to cover the U.S.-led invasion of Afghanistan over subsequent weeks.

There has been no claim of responsibility but there is little doubt it was Pakistani Taliban or their allies who struck one of the city's landmarks.

"People are sad, they are angry, they are worried," veteran Peshawar journalist Abdullah Jan told Reuters at his home, which is not far from the PC.

The militants have stepped up attacks in cities since the army launched an offensive in April to clear the Taliban from their bastion in the Swat valley, to the northeast of Peshawar.

Tuesday's blast was the latest in a series of deadly attacks in the city. The Taliban occasionally prowl its outskirts, attacking convoys taking equipment and supplies to the U.S. military in Afghanistan through the Khyber Pass.

"These incidents are not doing the Taliban any good but definitely, it will get worse before it gets better, if it gets better," Jan said.

"It will get worse when the army goes into Waziristan," he said, referring to a militant stronghold on the Afghan border, to the southwest of Peshawar, which authorities have said might be attacked after Swat.

(Additional reporting and writing by Robert Birsel; Editing by Jeremy Laurence)

Attack on Pakistan hotel fuels anger with Taliban | Special Coverage | Reuters

Really condemnable. These terrorists are destroying the business,property in pakistan.,,,,,,,,,,, MAking this land of pure a hell. Allah save PAK. May peace prevail there. AMIN.

What are the causes which makes a 'suicide bomber'? we can only fool ourselves by just saying that the bomber has bee brainwashed at a madrassah. Why not someone comes up with an expose of such individual?
A case study I have gone through was about the killing of SURGEON GENERAL of PAK ARMY in RAWALPINDI. The bomber was a very young man from WAZIRISTAN but the real culprit was a serving SUBEDAR MAJOR of PAK ARMY. The bomber stayed with this SM posing as his nephew. The SMs daughter was killed in JAMIA HAFSA and he figured out this way to get even

What are the causes which makes a 'suicide bomber'? we can only fool ourselves by just saying that the bomber has bee brainwashed at a madrassah. Why not someone comes up with an expose of such individual?
A case study I have gone through was about the killing of SURGEON GENERAL of PAK ARMY in RAWALPINDI. The bomber was a very young man from WAZIRISTAN but the real culprit was a serving SUBEDAR MAJOR of PAK ARMY. The bomber stayed with this SM posing as his nephew. The SMs daughter was killed in JAMIA HAFSA and he figured out this way to get even

There are thausand of unregistered madrasah working near Afghan Pak boarders, we need to registered these madreasahs and monitor their activities ,these are actually breeding grounds of these suicide bombers.

Back
Top Bottom