What's new

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever earns $330M opening weekend globally

I grew up in Asian mixed with Western culture. And my mother actually think Batman and Robin were gay and my mom don't like us buying superhero comic. I grow up watching Japanese Anime, I remember one of them is an anime called "City Hunter" which is a dude who is a private investigator with exceptional investigation skill and also combat skill (The story was he was in a plane crash in Africa as a child and survived the crash but brought up by a rival fraction which teach him combat skill as young as 10.) But that dude is extreme indecent to a point people would recognize him as a pervert as he like acting like a peeping tom and always look for upskirt moment. Yet my mom allowed that, but say no to batman and robin....

And for action movie, I like movie or TV series like Strike Back or Person of Interest.

I see you and I have one thing in common, Japanese Anime. For me it was Lupin the Third.

In addition to Lupin, I regularly read an American comic called Archie and Jughead:
1668469347198.png

In Pakistan we were exposed to a lot of American TV, I did a whole thread about the golden age 80's and 90's TV in Pakistan:

I see you and I have one thing in common, Japanese Anime. For me it was Lupin the Third.

In addition to Lupin, I regularly read an American comic called Archie and Jughead:
View attachment 896588

In Pakistan we were exposed to a lot of American TV, I did a whole thread about the golden age 80's and 90's TV in Pakistan:

It's hard growing up in Asia in the 80s and 90s and not get influenced by Japanese Anime, Gundam, Dragon Ball, Marcross, just to name a few and other I only know by their Chinese name. I used to very into Japanese Anime, but then I grow up lol.

US cartoon/comics (They don't call it anime overthere) is more real life like and usually either represent the community or making satire to the community. It's okay I guess, because for me it's just entertainment, and I tend to like American Comic more after I grew up. Stuff like Simpsons, King of the Hills, Peanuts were amongst my favourite in college.

I still watch this clip from time to time and have a silly laugh...

Honest Question, If I don't like Wakanda forever or Black Panther, does that make me a Racist ? @jhungary @gambit @VCheng :whistle:
Jack Kirby recognized a 'need' for a black superhero in the comics universe, but not only that, he made Wakanda, a country in generally poor Africa, the most technologically advanced and wealthy country in the world, so in a cynical way, it was affirmative action. Was it a legitimate 'need'? Perhaps -- in a time of racially and socially tense America. The X-Man 'Thunderbird' character was created for the American Indians but no technologically advanced Amerind nation was created.

I loved the 'Six Million Dollars Man' when I was a child, and I love the idea still.

This is the most macho representation of the character Steve Austin... :lol:

r4BGE7g.jpg

Of course, he would be 6 bils in today's money but I believe a modern take on the character is doable.

View attachment 896588

In Pakistan we were exposed to a lot of American TV,

Archie comics....wow that's WAY WAY WAY back as in probably at its height in 1950's.

There was a tv show too in the late 1960's and early 70's.
The girls dancing will forever be burnt in my mind

Last edited:
Jack Kirby recognized a 'need' for a black superhero in the comics universe, but not only that, he made Wakanda, a country in generally poor Africa, the most technologically advanced and wealthy country in the world, so in a cynical way, it was affirmative action. Was it a legitimate 'need'? Perhaps -- in a time of racially and socially tense America. The X-Man 'Thunderbird' character was created for the American Indians but no technologically advanced Amerind nation was created.
Not gonna lie but most of Black folks I talked to are not fond of Black Panther and Wakanda forever, Plus they are also not very happy about the path MCU took, I haven't watched a single MCU movie since End Game, I guess it was the End Game in reality for MCU as well, now its just Identity politics and Representation.

Not gonna lie but most of Black folks I talked to are not fond of Black Panther and Wakanda forever, Plus they are also not very happy about the path MCU took, I haven't watched a single MCU movie since End Game, I guess it was the End Game in reality for MCU as well, now its just Identity politics and Representation.
Here is my politically incorrect take on Black Panther and the whole Wakanda issue -- pandering.

Wakanda is an African country and American blacks, except for genetics, have no ties to Africa. Blacks were brought to the New World under the worst of circumstances -- slaves -- and as if that was not bad enough, African blacks enabled that inhuman journey. American blacks fought FOR the US to end slavery, then fought FOR the US against Nazi German and Imperial JPN. The character Black Panther have nothing to offer American blacks except as an intellectual lollipop. Jack Kirby and Marvel meant well, am sure, but they were sadly misguided.

The best black superhero is Luke Cage created during the height of the 'blaxploitation' entertainment era. Cage is a 'street level' power being and his backstory is definitely relatable to everyone from the cities, not just ordinary American blacks. Cage has a ghetto-ed childhood, meaning he was in a gang and committed assorted petty theft. Then he had an epiphany and redeemed himself. The character should have been promoted better than it was for TV.

Here is my politically incorrect take on Black Panther and the whole Wakanda issue -- pandering.

Wakanda is an African country and American blacks, except for genetics, have no ties to Africa. Blacks were brought to the New World under the worst of circumstances -- slaves -- and as if that was not bad enough, African blacks enabled that inhuman journey. American blacks fought FOR the US to end slavery, then fought FOR the US against Nazi German and Imperial JPN. The character Black Panther have nothing to offer American blacks except as an intellectual lollipop. Jack Kirby and Marvel meant well, am sure, but they were sadly misguided.

The best black superhero is Luke Cage created during the height of the 'blaxploitation' entertainment era. Cage is a 'street level' power being and his backstory is definitely relatable to everyone from the cities, not just ordinary American blacks. Cage has a ghetto-ed childhood, meaning he was in a gang and committed assorted petty theft. Then he had an epiphany and redeemed himself. The character should have been promoted better than it was for TV.
Funny thing is that the Wakanda in the movie is shown a very isolated country, despite surrounded by the poor African nations them being Powerful/rich/technologically Advance but the countries surrounds them remain poor, one could argue that they don't want to come out in Public for the world to discover their true source of wealth and power but Seeing a over the top reaction from American blacks is weird.

I would say it was a good marketing strategy on MCU behalf, but I saw some weird social media posts on how whites should avoid watching Wakanda forever, I can only imagine how awkward would be for a white person to watch it hahah that poor man can't even impersonate T'challa lol

I don’t think you can even begin to see things through the eyes of a black person. To try to disassociate black people from Africa like that is to deny them a very powerful and emotional bond. Black people were treated like shit throughout American history by WHITE people. Period. The reason why Wakanda was so popular among many Aframs was because it evoked a sense of pride and belonging that was denied to them ever since they were brought to this country.

And quit that “they fought for America” crap. No shit, they were in this country, who else were they going to fight for? So they were used when convenient by a country that treated them like pure dirt. Great thing to be proud of.

I don’t think you can even begin to see things through the eyes of a black person.
Yeah...Am sure a Chinese could...

To try to disassociate black people from Africa like that is to deny them a very powerful and emotional bond.
I do not need to. I got that from many blacks when I was active duty. There are many blacks who went to Africa and returned to the US and reported that they were treated the same as with any American: foreigner.

Black people were treated like shit throughout American history by WHITE people. Period. The reason why Wakanda was so popular among many Aframs was because it evoked a sense of pride and belonging that was denied to them ever since they were brought to this country.
Liberia was an alternative.

And quit that “they fought for America” crap. No shit, they were in this country, who else were they going to fight for? So they were used when convenient by a country that treated them like pure dirt. Great thing to be proud of.
See Liberia.

Honest Question, If I don't like Wakanda forever or Black Panther, does that make me a Racist ? @jhungary @gambit @VCheng :whistle:
You mean you don't accept the fact that somewhere in Africa,there is a hidden country,technologically more advanced than any other country or civilization on earth with black africans far more advanced and intelligent than other humans?

Oh boy! You sooo racist! 😮

. Black people were treated like shit throughout American history by WHITE people.
Do you know who else treated them badly?

Other black people. In Africa. And Muslim kingdoms. Yes,don't be surprised. They all traded in black slaves.

Yeah...Am sure a Chinese could...

I do not need to. I got that from many blacks when I was active duty. There are many blacks who went to Africa and returned to the US and reported that they were treated the same as with any American: foreigner.

Liberia was an alternative.

See Liberia.
Quit cosplaying as some old white guy. You’re Asian American the same as me. I can guarantee you that you don’t have more insight into black culture than I do especially since you frame everything through a white conservative lens, which just goes to show me that you don’t have an inkling as to how most black people view the world.

You mean you don't accept the fact that somewhere in Africa,there is a hidden country,technologically more advanced than any other country or civilization on earth with black africans far more advanced and intelligent than other humans?

Oh boy! You sooo racist! 😮

Do you know who else treated them badly?

Other black people. In Africa. And Muslim kingdoms. Yes,don't be surprised. They all traded in black slaves.
No shit. But I’m specifically talking about the history of African Americans, whose culture and experiences were largely shaped by white institutions.

The movie is all over the place. Nothing really happens, and I feel like it was a flop

Quit cosplaying as some old white guy. You’re Asian American the same as me. I can guarantee you that you don’t have more insight into black culture than I do especially since you frame everything through a white conservative lens, which just goes to show me that you don’t have an inkling as to how most black people view the world.
I can see that the Party's pressure on free speech is quite good. Reached all the way from China over to the US. Shut you up, did they not?

How many American blacks do you know, how long, and how well? Ever worked and socialized with them? I doubt it. You think Jamaican blacks have any care about Africa? Or how about Central/South American blacks? Clue for you, just like Asian Americans, American blacks are not monolithic as the Party misled you.

Back
Top Bottom