What's new

BJP chief claims English bad for India, triggers outrage

It has more to do with preserving the culture. Non-Hindi speakers were somehow convinced that using Hindi would erode away their culture. While despite having English as an official language during colonial rule, the culture was not effected. So they prefer English over Hindi.

To add to that, English was primarily regarded as being culturally neutral because it has no history. English flows parallel with the native culture whereas other Indian languages may subsume it over time.

Btw, the BJP leader was protesting about westernisation, something that most countries of SE Asia, China, Japan etc are not immune to. If anything, they have been influenced more than most Indians.

bwahahah leave the forum if you cant tolerate truth.

The truth is that as you said South Indians cant stand losing their language to North Indians and the truth is indeed these South Indians go for english speaking even if not fluently instead of speaking Hindi.

They hate hindi

Let me clarify, I don't want to communicate with YOU. I know you have 30k posts but you aren't this forum. Please refrain from conversing with me.

Thank you,
Please don't come again.

bwahahah leave the forum if you cant tolerate truth.

The truth is that as you said South Indians cant stand losing their language to North Indians and the truth is indeed these South Indians go for english speaking even if not fluently instead of speaking Hindi.

They hate hindi

i dont hate hindi.aur mein hindi mein baat bhi kar saktha hun.its my second language.not many do.it has more to with politics than culture.dmk aroused regional sentiments and to an extent even demanded a seperate tamil country.they portrayed all the hindi speakers as their enemies..yes the feeling may persist in some of tamils but not every south indian.they work in different parts of the country be it north india or south india..besides in our states everybody speaks their own language not any other languare is coerced up on them..people in punjab speak punjabi and not urdu..

It has more to do with preserving the culture. Non-Hindi speakers were somehow convinced that using Hindi would erode away their culture. While despite having English as an official language during colonial rule, the culture was not effected. So they prefer English over Hindi.

OK that makes more sense. :tup:

This is just the uninformed opinion of a detached city dweller who knows nothing about the real India...English being regarded as the natural lamguage???:hitwall: Shows you have perhaps never gone beyond the borders of bangalore city..... certainly never to the vast hinterlands of northern India.

So, we need to impose a difficult, alien language on all citizens just because some city people love it and consider it their own

Natural, neutral..
Google the difference.

Most of the South Indians are better in English than North Indians (set aside pronunciations). THE HINDU (Estd. 1878) played an important in the development of Indian English Literature. Nothing to look down upon the South Indians.

1. I agree thats what i have seen in South India.

2. I was talking about the uneducated one i.e autowals even have conversed with them there and they prefered tooti photi english over hindi.

3. Agreed on The Hindu. the quality newspaper. During visit to its office in Chennai i had chance to get information about its role.

im not speaking on my behalf..they donot understand hindi or bengali either.which is why they have 2 official languages english and their native language and the same is the case with bengal or gujarat..they donot understand tamil and telugu do they??in what language do u think the interstate language should be then??u have to study the history of india after independence..this stage today was reached after so many deliberations thanks to our nation builders and their commitment to the unity with one side communal fundamentalists who says only hindi should be their official language and other side dmk who says all the aryans and hindi speaking people are enemies of tamils .india has come a long way today they managed pretty well and left english to be official language.it can be removed as an official language when all the non hindi speakers are comfortable with hindi..any hasty decision would bring back all the problems.for today we need english..

And how hasty is hasty??? a few centuries??? I mean its already decades beyond independence...

There is not a single other country which conducts its business in a foreign tongue.

Lasting damage has been done to the country by fake Aryan - Dravidian theories as many Tamils seem to be convinced that they are a different race from the North

To add to that, English was primarily regarded as being culturally neutral because it has no history. English flows parallel with the native culture whereas other Indian languages may subsume it over time.

Btw, the BJP leader was protesting about westernisation, something that most countries of SE Asia, China, Japan etc are not immune to. If anything, they have been influenced more than most Indians.

I have an objection against that. What is wrong with westernisation? Culture is supposed to evolve, and transform. If the society now want to change, let them be.

i dont hate hindi.aur mein hindi mein baat bhi kar saktha hun.its my second language.not many do.it has more to with politics than culture.dmk aroused regional sentiments and to an extent even demanded a seperate tamil country.they portrayed all the hindi speakers as their enemies..yes the feeling may persist in some of tamils but not every south indian.they work in different parts of the country be it north india or south india..besides in our states everybody speaks their own language not any other languare is coerced up on them..people in punjab speak punjabi and not urdu..

i find nothing wrong with preserving own language and culture specially that of Southe India. South Indian culture and language is rich. people taking over foreign languages instead of local ones are fed with this misperception that it looks/sounds more elite if you prefer skirt over sari or shalwar kameez and English over Sanskrit.

The same is going on in our country.

This is just the uninformed opinion of a detached city dweller who knows nothing about the real India...English being regarded as the natural lamguage???:hitwall: Shows you have perhaps never gone beyond the borders of bangalore city..... certainly never to the vast hinterlands of northern India.

So, we need to impose a difficult, alien language on all citizens just because some city people love it and consider it their own

Spare the certificates, no one died & made you the chosen spokesperson of any group. Hindi was tried & it was resisted in S.India. That is history. No one is forcing N.Indians to speak to themselves in English but it might become necessary if you are speaking to someone who does not speak Hindi. In official circles, most S. Indian states would not react well to correspondence in Hindi (I believe Mulayam Singh got a letter in Kannada in response to one in Hindi in the 1990's). There is no imposition. You are free not to learn English but to insist that others must learn your mothertongue because you don't want to is silly. If I did go to the rural areas around Bangalore, I guarantee you that they are not speaking Hindi...:lol: I speak 4 languages & understand two more, other family members of mine can speak up to 7. Not sure many up North can do the same.

Spare the certificates, no one died & made you the chosen spokesperson of any group. Hindi was tried & it was resisted in S.India. That is history. No one is forcing N.Indians to speak to themselves in English but it might become necessary if you are speaking to someone who does not speak Hindi. In official circles, most S. Indian states would not react well to correspondence in Hindi (I believe Mulayam Singh got a letter in Kannada in response to one in Hindi in the 1990's). There is no imposition. You are free not to learn English but to insist that others must learn your mothertongue because you don't want to is silly. If I did go to the rural areas around Bangalore, I guarantee you that they are not speaking Hindi...:lol: I speak 4 languages & understand two more, other family members of mine can speak up to 7. Not sure many up North can do the same.

Spare him, he is confused between natural and neutral. :D

I have an objection against that. What is wrong with westernisation? Culture is supposed to evolve, and transform. If the society now want to change, let them be.

You won't get an objection from me. Culture is not a stagnant pool. What is regarded as Indian culture now was not the same a few hundred years ago.

1. I agree thats what i have seen in South India.

2. I was talking about the uneducated one i.e autowals even have conversed with them there and they prefered tooti photi english over hindi.

3. Agreed on The Hindu. the quality newspaper. During visit to its office in Chennai i had chance to get information about its role.

1) I have more knowledge of India over a Pakistani.

2)Chennai is not the euphemism of entire South India. Hindi is gladly accepted in Hyderabad, in Bangalore and even in Kochi. TN is also getting it up rapidly,thanks to Bollywood.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom