What's new

Billions worth of US Army kit to remain in Afghanistan after withdrawal

Saifullah Sani

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
1484769_-_main.jpg

The US Army, owner of the bulk of military equipment in Afghanistan, is expecting to leave about USD5 billion worth of gear behind when it has completed a withdrawal operation at the end of 2016.

In January 2014 the army estimated that it had about USD15 billion worth of equipment still deployed in Afghanistan, where the United States has been involved in combat operations since 2001, the country's longest-ever war.

"We're divesting some of it. We're destroying some of it in place [because] some of it is not economically feasible to return, and we're determining what assets can be declared excess defence articles [EDAs] that in fact we could sell to other partners or allies," General Dennis Via, head of US Army Material Command (AMC), told reporters during a 23 July breakfast meeting in Washington, DC.

Army staffers have specific processes for determining what will be overhauled and returned to the US or to global pre-positioned stocks - through a process called retrograde - and what is considered a lesser priority and therefore can be sold or destroyed.

Advanced weapon systems that were most recently deployed to Afghanistan are generally at the top of the list for retrograde, while broken down or non-lethal systems could stay behind.

Also expected to be left are non-programme of record systems that were quickly developed and acquired to meet specific needs in Afghanistan. For example, Gen Via said AMC is still working to settle on which and how many mine-resistant ambush-protected (MRAP) truck variants are to return to US service.

He explained that the Pentagon provides AMC a categorically prioritised list of which systems to bring home, as well as a list of which systems can be 'divested', meaning they will be sold or destroyed.

The command is already working with the US Defense Logistics Agency (DLA) to demilitarise or destroy some lethal equipment being left behind, and to conduct 'white sales' that seek to quickly offload non-lethal equipment at auction, the first of which was kicked off late last year at Bagram Air Field near Kabul.

That sale includes "a variety of previously used, commercial off-the-shelf items such as pneumatic tools, air conditioning units, office furniture, tractors, water trucks, forklifts and construction machinery", the army said in an early July report.

The US military is withdrawing to a force of 9,800 troops in Afghanistan by the beginning of 2015, and the troop presence would then drop to a regular embassy and office sized staff by the end of 2016, so even now it requires fewer items such as showers, water trucks, or trenching machines.

The sale at Bagram is the first of several white sales planned across the country, the army said.

"War is inefficient just in and of itself; you're going to have a percentage of loss of equipment and supplies," Gen Via said, adding that he is "comfortable the processes that we have in place are going to bring back the equipment that we see as being most valuable to meeting future military requirements".

Redeploying forces and equipment from Afghanistan is particularly difficult and costly given the topography and geopolitics. "It's one of the most logistically challenging places in the world, the majority [of equipment] we're having to fly out," Gen Via said.

The best ground routes - the Quetta route from Kandahar and the Khyber route from Kabul and Bagram Airfield - have been closed or opened depending on relations with Pakistan, and the Northern Distribution Network (NDN) is a circuitous and costly route based on various agreements with Russia and Central Asian states. Gen Via noted that US-Russian disagreements over issues such as Ukraine and Syria have not affected that network to date.

COMMENT
Once gear returns from Afghanistan, the army expects it will take about three years and more than USD10 billion to 'reset' everything from vehicles, to weapons, and night vision devices.

"It takes a period of time after the equipment gets back to be inducted" into a depot maintenance programme, Gen Via said, adding that he projected this would be funded through supplemental overseas contingency operations (OCO) budgets over the three years, although such funding could become a difficult sell to Congress after operations wind down.

US military officials have raised concern that OCO budgets will wither too quickly following redeployments from Afghanistan, and cause the services to lose a valuable funding stream for resetting equipment that in some cases has been heavily worn down during operations but is still needed for future contingencies.

Indeed, some in the US Congress are considering legislative efforts to bar the use of OCO funding for certain functions, although so far any such amendments under consideration are meant to keep the supplemental budget from being used to obviate 'sequestration', legal caps on the base budget, by adding money elsewhere.

Billions worth of US Army kit to remain in Afghanistan after withdrawal - IHS Jane's 360

We can only hope the Afghanis' f*ck the stuff up before the Talibs TAKE it from them. That shit should be BURNING when we leave.:flame:

We can only hope the Afghanis' f*ck the stuff up before the Talibs TAKE it from them. That shit should be BURNING when we leave.:flame:

I see a business opportunity here, Ima head over there and start buying that stuff from Auction. The Market for that stuff over here will exist. For all you know the Afghan may start using a MRAP for keeping his goats in it.

I see a business opportunity here, Ima head over there and start buying that stuff from Auction. The Market for that stuff over here will exist. For all you know the Afghan may start using a MRAP for keeping his goats in it.

Such a disparaging comment about Afghans ! :disagree:

I like it ! :D

Can I please get some F-15s from the 'excess' equipment ? :ashamed:

I want to use them as my personal Flying Limos ! :smokin:

Such a disparaging comment about Afghans ! :disagree:

I like it ! :D

Can I please get some F-15s from the 'excess' equipment ? :ashamed:

I want to use them as my personal Flying Limos ! :smokin:

S'True, outside of Kabul. What the hell will they maintain or use them for? There is no actual government that exists and as such looks like the Taliban will return. When they do, they'll have the worlds first pre-paid Army in terms of equipment ready for them.

mandir khula nahi bhikhari pehele a gaye.:dance3:

Afghan government should take it in their custody. It's Afghanistan's property now.

S'True, outside of Kabul. What the hell will they maintain or use them for? There is no actual government that exists and as such looks like the Taliban will return. When they do, they'll have the worlds first pre-paid Army in terms of equipment ready for them.

Waisee do you think the Taliban would be like - Hey Pakistanis...aren't you the douche bags who colluded with the Americans to screw us over....we've been dying to return the favor in kind !

We really should mine & fence the bloody border lest Terrorists start pouring into Pakistan from Afghanistan after the Americans withdraw !

What do you say @Icarus ?

If you really look at it, the United States spent trillions of dollars to essentially kill a guy that was not even in that country. In the process they basically flattened out a dustbowl.. made zero progress as such(not because for a lack of effort, but because they locals dont want it) in reconstructing a nation. And now are leaving a dustbowl with their stuff behind to the same guys they supposedly removed and replaced.

mandir khula nahi bhikhari pehele a gaye.:dance3:

Afghan government should take it in their custody. It's Afghanistan's property now.
Aise hi Bhikari.. iss tarah milte hain..
pt842_praying-businessman-o-reduced.jpg

Opportunity use karte hain

Aur phir.. aise Jate hain
michael-jackson-s-motorcade-sponsored-by-range-rover-rolls-royce-8566_1.jpg

If you really look at it, the United States spent trillions of dollars to essentially kill a guy that was not even in that country. In the process they basically flattened out a dustbowl.. made zero progress as such(not because for a lack of effort, but because they locals dont want it) in reconstructing a nation. And now are leaving a dustbowl with their stuff behind to the same guys they supposedly removed and replaced.

Thats true; perhaps using Special Forces, Drones & Air-Strikes would've been a better bet to take out the Terrorists responsible for 9'11 instead of going in the way they did, spending trillions & destabilizing the region for years to come !

I just hope someone somewhere in the US Administration realizes that a General Custer-esque charge in Foreign Policy doesn't always work - Vietnam, Korea, Iraq, Afghanistan & numerous other smaller engagements ought to have substantiated by now !

Personally I really like the Jeffersonian principles of 'non-interventionism' - I'd really want Pakistan to learn from that & I hope the US Administration would keep that in mind whenever they formulate foreign policy the next time !

Thats true; perhaps using Special Forces, Drones & Air-Strikes would've been a better bet to take out the Terrorists responsible for 9'11 instead of going in the way they did, spending trillions & destabilizing the region for years to come !

I just hope someone somewhere in the US Administration realizes that a General Custer-esque charge in Foreign Policy doesn't always work - Vietnam, Korea, Iraq, Afghanistan & numerous other smaller engagements ought to have substantiated by now !

Personally I really like the Jeffersonian principles of 'non-interventionism' - I'd really want Pakistan to learn from that & I hope the US Administration would keep that in mind whenever they formulate foreign policy the next time !

Non-interventionism does not work. Havent you ever been to Peshawar or other places in the middle east. Some people will just poke their nose in or create problems for you for no reason. interventionism is needed, but quick , surgical and unapologetic.

Non-interventionism does not work. Havent you ever been to Peshawar or other places in the middle east. Some people will just poke their nose in or create problems for you for no reason. interventionism is needed, but quick , surgical and unapologetic.

Peshawar - Whats wrong with Peshawar ? Heck even the now troubled Tribal Areas were once the most peaceful parts of Pakistan before the so-called Afghan Jihad which along with the policies used to fight it (not just us....everyone) proved to be an utter fiasco !

A fiasco that ripped apart the very fabric of that society !

From 'non-interventionism' - I meant that one doesn't need to be the Policeman of the World; be like China or dare I say it - like Israel - Quick, Surgical & Unapologetic as you so rightly say !

Now Pakistanis want to poke their nose here too? Why wud Afganis not take something in their land but give it to any other country? Neither India nor Iran nor Pakistan shud drop saliva looking at those equipments.

Can be sure bout India and Iran that they will respect Afgani sovereignty. Can anyone be sure bout Pakistani?

Peshawar - Whats wrong with Peshawar ? Heck even the now troubled Tribal Areas were once the most peaceful parts of Pakistan before the so-called Afghan Jihad which along with the policies used to fight it (not just us....everyone) proved to be an utter fiasco !

A fiasco that ripped apart the very fabric of that society !

From 'non-interventionism' - I meant that one doesn't need to be the Policeman of the World; be like China or dare I say it - like Israel - Quick, Surgical & Unapologetic as you so rightly say !

Contrary to the popular propaganda, Tribal areas were always messed up. Before the Talibob, Waziristan was under the control of a heavily armed criminal gang, which use to extort money from local people and made travelers pay an illegal toll tax. The Taliban found support among the locals after they killed a few members of this gang and hung their bodies on poles.

And Peshawaris have always considered Khyber agency an "ilaqa ghair". Before terrorists, the ilaqa ghairs were all crime infested hellholes. By the advent of terrorists, the various gangs of tribal areas joined forces with them to expand their foothold. This fata being a Switzerland before American war is all propaganda being spread by pro-Afghan "no operation in Punjab, but always against Pashtuns" type of people.

Last edited:
Contrary to the popular propaganda, Tribal areas were always messed up. Before the Talibob, Waziristan was under the control of a heavily armed criminal gang, which use to extort money from local people and made travelers pay an illegal toll tax. The Taliban found support among the locals after they killed a few members of this gang and hung their bodies on polls..

And Peshawaris have always considered Khyber agency an "ilaqa ghair". Before terrorists, the ilaqa ghairs were all crime infested hellholes. By the advent of terrorists, the various gangs of tribal areas joined forces with them to expand their foothold. This fata being a Switzerland before American war is all propaganda being spread by pro-Afghan "no operation in Punjab, but always against Pashtuns" type of people.

I dunno my friends & family member did travel in the Tribal Areas in the '60s & the '70s - They didn't seem to find them as areas under the control of heavily armed criminal gangs - Socially conservative....Yes but very peaceful as they always said !

You can ask the natives of those areas @Hyperion @farhan_9909 !

So far as the 'no operation in Punjab' is concerned - I think a police operation is already happening or so Rana Sanaullah was saying on yesterday's episode of Bay Lag & quite a few people have been captured !

I dunno my friends & family member did travel in the Tribal Areas in the '60s & the '70s - They didn't seem to find them as areas under the control of heavily armed criminal gangs - Socially conservative....Yes but very peaceful as they always said !

You can ask the natives of those areas @Hyperion @farhan_9909 !

So far as the 'no operation in Punjab' is concerned - I think a police operation is already happening or so Rana Sanaullah was saying on yesterday's episode of Bay Lag & quite a few people have been captured !

Maybe it was after the Afghan war, when everyone acquired Ak47s in Pakistan, that the criminal gangs that I mentioned took over. There was huge uncontrolled smuggling in the tribal areas in the 90s. The Waziristan based criminal gang that I mentioned had rocket launchers and lmgs in their possession. I think their leader was called "Chirag Wazir" or something. But yeah the locals would know better.

And yeah, it might have been peaceful in 60s and 70s, as hundreds of hippies use to visit those regions. The whole KPK use to be littered with bhang and chars dhabas, which were popular with the hippies. Back then, the locals only had colonial era matchlock rifles instead of lmgs and Ak47s. And a family friend from Peshawar told me that even in the 80s, the Khyber agency was a no go area for them. I think this Deobandi vs Barelvi war in that agency has been ongoing since the 80s. I'm not too sure though.

Back
Top Bottom