What's new

Biggest Commonwealth Games kicks off in Delhi

Bopana_263231f.jpg

Rohan Bopanna breezed past Rober Buyinza with a 6-1, 6-4 win in the first round of the men’s singles at the Commonwealth Games. Photo: R. Ragu

Last edited:
Along with games...delhi is organising a lot of cultural activities across delhi. visit official website of CWG to know about that. hats off to india

Weightlifters win India's first four medals at CWG

Weightlifters brought India's first four medals at the Commonwealth Games 2010 in New Delhi on Monday. Soniya Chanu won a silver and Sandhya Rani Devi a bronze in the women's 48 kg category. Soon, Sukhen Dey and Srinivasa Rao Valluri came up with a similar performance in the men's 56 kg

Badminton was a cakewalk, tennis saw a good day and table tennis produced a mixed bag. The women's hockey team survived a scare, while the swimmers crashed out.

Chanu had a total lift of 167 kg - 73 kg in snatch and 94 kg in the clean and jerk section.

Sandhya Rani had a total lift of 165 kg (snatch 70 kg, clean and jerk 95 kg).

The gold, the first medal of CWG 2010, went to Nigerian Augustina Nwaokolo, who also set a Commonwealth record. She had a total lift of 175kg, with 77kg in the snatch and 98kg in the clean and jerk sections.

Dey lifted a total of 252 kg (snatch 112, clean and jerk 140) for the silver while Srinivasa Rao claimed the bronze with an overall lift of 248 kg (snatch 107, clean and jerk 141).

It was a cakewalk for India in their opening pool D match in the badminton mixed team event with a 5-0 drubbing of Kenya at the Siri Fort Sports Complex.

The Indian team, which won the bronze at Melbourne in 2006, are seeded second behind Malaysia. The hosts literally toyed with the Kenyans in front of a sizeable crowd.

Chetan Anand and Saina Nehwal won their singles matches, and then Rupesh Kumar and Sanave Thomas made took the doubles before Ashwini Ponappa and Aparna Balan teamed up to win and finally the mixed pair V Diju and Jwala Gutta made it a clean sweep.

India will face Barbados Tuesday and will play Wales and Scotland on successive days.

Tennis stars Leander Paes and Sania Mirza rounded off a successful opening day for India at the R K Khanna Tennis Complex winning their match dropping just one gameto Saint Lucia's Stacey Nykita Roheman and Alberton Richelieu to enter the mixed doubles quarterfinals.

Rohan Bopanna kicked off the day with an emphatic straight sets victory over Uganda's Robert Buyinza to sail into the last 16 of the men's singles and Rushmi Charkravathi soon made it two in a row for India, dropping only one game in beating Pinki Agnes Montlha of Lesotho.

Poojashree Venkatesha hardly broke sweat blanking Lesotho's Nthabiseng Eunicia Nqosa.

The only blemish in India's campaign was the loss of Bopanna and Nirupama Sanjeev in the mixed doubles first round to top seeds Paul Hanley and Anastasia Rodionova of Australia 3-6, 6-3, 3-6.

India had a mixed opening day in table tennis as the men breezed past island nation Vanuatu while the women lost one of their two group matches against New Zealand.

The Indian eves registered a comfortable 3-0 victory over Sri Lanka in the morning but lost 2-3 in a close match against the impressive New Zealanders later in the day at the Yamuna Sports Complex.

Four of the five New Zealand players are of Chinese origin.

The women's team, bronze medallists four years ago,is seeded fourth in the tournament.

The women's hockey competition also began Monday and India survived a scare against Scotland in pool A, salvaging a 1-1 draw after being down by a third minute goal.

The Scots were off to a great start when Holly Cram found the net in the third minute. India dominated the rest of the game, but missed chances until Jasjeet Kaur scored the equalizer in the 45th minute.

India's men's 4x100 metres freestyle relay swimming team qualified for the finals but finished sixth, as they had in the heats at the at the S.P.Mukherjee Aquatics Complex.

In the men's 50m backstroke, Badrinath Melkote clocked 27.52 secs to qualify for the semi-finals, but couldn't move any further.

Indian swimmers also failed to qualify in the women's 200m freestyle, men's 400m freestyle, women's 200m individual medley, men's 200m butterfly and women's 50m breaststroke.

Lifters win India's first four medals at CWG - Hindustan Times

Pakistani tennis players not surprised by warm reception

or the small Pakistani tennis contingent in the Commonwealth Games, Delhi is no stranger and getting the second loudest cheer at yesterday's gala opening ceremony was hardly a surprise since they 'know' people of the two countries have nothing but love in their hearts.

Pakistani contingent participating in the Commonwealth Games was welcomed by a thunderous applause and cheers at the spectacular opening ceremony at the Jawaharlal Nehru stadium last night.

"I told my (Davis Cup) captain that we will get a rousing reception and it happened," a beaming Aqeel Khan, Pakistan's number two tennis player, told PTI while watching Aisam-ul-Haq Qureshi's first round match.

"Whenever I have come here, people have showered me with love and support. The players, the officials, the public here has been supportive in all these years. Playing here is like playing at home for me," Aqeel added.

The captain -- Mohammed Khalid, who is on his first visit to India, added, "It just shows that there is mohabbat (love) in the hearts of people of both the countries. There are some political problems but public remain attached to each other."

"When the train from Amritsar to Nakana Sahib comes, we always greet the devotees from India with great fervours," he said.

The two nations share a strained political relation since partition and the situation has gone from bad to worse after the 2008 Mumbai terror strike.

After that India have not travelled to Pakistan for cricket series and recently the Pakistani government had refused permission to its national Billiards and Snooker Association (PBSA) to hire Indian coach Sanjay Sawant.

Khalid, a former Davis Cup player, has roots in India as his grandmother lived in holy city of Amritsar in Punjab before partition and so he is desperate to visit the place at least once.

"We moved to Lahore long time back. But I still listen stories about our home in Amritsar. I want to go there but this time I will have to leave with the contingent after the Games. Perhaps, we will come for training for a longer period and then definitely we will go there," he said.

Qureshi, who put his country to new highs after a breakthrough performance at the US Open, where he reached the doubles final partnering India's Rohan Bopanna, agreed with his team-mates.

"I am coming to India after three years. Getting that good reception was awesome although I did not think it will be that good. It just shows there is lot of love between the two countries. People are sport lovers on both sides," he said.

Aqeel said when Indian players go to Pakistan, they also enjoy a warm hospitality. Sunil (Sipaeya), Mustaga (Ghouse), Rohan (Bopanna) have all been there for the India-Pakistan series and also for the ITF tournaments. They also enjoy VIP treatment there. This is because people of India and Pakistan think they are one," he said.

Pakistani tennis players not surprised by warm reception

2010 Commonwealth Games Medal Table

Rank Country Gold Medal Silver Medal Bronze Medal Total
1 Australia 3 2 0 5
2 Canada 1 0 2 3
3 S Africa 1 0 1 2
4 Nigeria 1 0 0 1
5 England 0 2 1 3
6 India 0 1 1 2
7 Wales 0 1 0 1
8 Scotland 0 0 1 1

Luckily I get to support two countries

India already lost her credibility from the start! The opening is acceptable and could she maintain it to the end?

To fall and to rise again is an effort greatly applauded (and so it is in the spirit of the game) but for you to fall from the height that you are at right now, is just simply to crash (there is no getting up) so beware dude, pride has its downfall....beware ....just beware....

I watched some of the opening ceremony. I like it !!! :lol: It's because it sums up India perfectly with ONE word:

Chaotic!

It's like a big pile of Chop Suey, or a 6 yrs old kid occidentally spilled all his colours on a drawing board - very colourful indeed but a complete mess nonetheless, quite amusing though (yawn).

CWG is a British brand in the end. British media hailed it mainly because of being PC.

If you let your pompous pride down for a while and ponder.... what did the opening ceremony portray.
I showcased our country, our culture our people, so rich so proud, which we have maintained despite so many years of British rule. While you Chinese are going around pretending to be like the west or better than them, you have forgotten yourselves, your culture everyting. You hardly see any Chinese wearing traditional Chinese garments anymore. As for the chaos, the most chaotic people when put in a jail are disciplined. Hope you get what I'm hinting at

Last edited:
If you let your pompous pride down for a while and ponder.... what did the opening ceremony portray.
I showcased our country, our culture our people, so rich so proud, which we have maintained despite so many years of British rule. While you Chinese are going around pretending to be like the west or better than them, you have forgotten yourselves, your culture everyting. You hardly see any Chinese wearing traditional Chinese garments anymore. As for the chaos, the most chaotic people when put in a jail are disciplined. Hope you get what I'm hinting at

The loss of Chinese culture in modern society is attributed to the Cultural Revolution. That is being reversed in recent years though.

We can still wear traditional Chinese clothing (Han fu) for important events like weddings, funerals, etc.

Most other aspects of Traditional Chinese culture (Confucianism, Taoism, etc.) still remain intact.

Anyway we should probably stick to the topic. :cheers:

The loss of Chinese culture in modern society is attributed to the Cultural Revolution. That is being reversed in recent years though.

We can still wear traditional Chinese clothing (Han fu) for important events like weddings, funerals, etc.

Most other aspects of Traditional Chinese culture (Confucianism, Taoism, etc.) still remain intact.

Anyway we should probably stick to the topic. :cheers:

and just to add my .02
Rather than comparing olympics and cwg, we should see these two mega events as pointers to the Asian century that lies ahead which would see both of these giants rise and become superpowers in their own right and in their own special way

To fall and to rise again is an effort greatly applauded (and so it is in the spirit of the game) but for you to fall from the height that you are at right now, is just simply to crash (there is no getting up) so beware dude, pride has its downfall....beware ....just beware....

Simply Indian!!!! I just commented what i saw.... Good luck India

Shooters Abhinav Bindra and Gagan Narang have won first gold medals for India is Delhi CWG. :cheers:

Congrats to them.

Chanu missed yesterday in woman's weightlifting but won silver.

and just to add my .02
Rather than comparing olympics and cwg, we should see these two mega events as pointers to the Asian century that lies ahead which would see both of these giants rise and become superpowers in their own right and in their own special way

Very well put.

For centuries we Asians went to the West for business, education & trade.

This century onwards the tide has begun to change direction and we Asians must strive to keep it that way.

Very well put.

For centuries we Asians went to the West for business, education & trade.

This century onwards the tide has begun to change direction and we Asians must strive to keep it that way.

Exactly right buddy. :cheers:

The shift in geopolitical power towards Asia is inevitable I think, we will resume the place that we used to have for most of recorded history.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom