What's new

Biden to sign strategic partnership deal with Vietnam in latest bid to counter China in the region

Frankly, I didn't think Vietnam would go that far.

What's more, the United States doesn't have many weapons to aid Vietnam. It doesn't have enough weapons by itself.

The biggest problem of the United States is that its strength is not enough to maintain global hegemony.

Maybe they wouldn't, maybe they would.

And I'm not talking about the USA ruling the world. Never even mentioned that in the first place. That was you

Just about a country that has every right to defend itself like any other.

You may not like that, but that doesn't make it any less true

Said my opinion, and I'm sticking with it. Pretty much all I have to say on that matter

Vietnam has every right to defend itself. To have deterrent weapons. As a Sovereign Nation it is their right.

However, it was just my opinion and I doubt Biden would go that far anyway
The US lifted the ban on arms exports to Vietnam a few years ago, but it certainly doesn't sell strategic weapons like the F-35 or Tohamawk.

If Vietnam can buy M777 and Himars with TOT, that would be great.

Vietnam did not blackmail China in this case. Because the conflict between the two countries is unresolvable. That means that Vietnam wanting to use the US to get more benefits from China is completely stupid to begin with. It only leads to the result that Vietnam cannot receive any benefits from anyone.

Of course, Vietnam can get more benefit from either country, if Vietnam starts picking sides, becoming more like North Korea-Pakistan or South Korea-Japan. But it is clear that Vietnamese leaders and Vietnamese people do not support this approach.

Vietnam is neutral in all scenarios.

Vietnam is neutral.

What Vietnam wants to get is the economic benefit from trade with the United States, if Vietnam wants to receive more benefits related to weapons and defense, it needs deeper relations and is impossible.

In fact, Vietnam can choose from the Obama era, they don't have to hesitate from Obama -> Trump -> Biden.

He can say anything, it's his right.

Vietnam is acting more like coquettish now.

Joining the KMT in '49 was not a good idea.

Vietnam should also be rational in order to obtain more benefits.

Nonsense. we stay neutral. We just want to get rich. Chinese and Americans can fight to dead. We will give a price to the winner.
You are dumb if you think big power politics will let you play neutral. You are and will need to bet on one horse. Hope it is the right bet.

Maybe they wouldn't, maybe they would.

And I'm not talking about the USA ruling the world. Never even mentioned that in the first place. That was you

Just about a country that has every right to defend itself like any other.

You may not like that, but that doesn't make it any less true

Said my opinion, and I'm sticking with it. Pretty much all I have to say on that matter

The relationship between Vietnam and the United States cannot be separated from the context of Sino-US relations.

You are dumb if you think big power politics will let you play neutral. You are and will need to bet on one horse. Hope it is the right bet.
Vietnam isn't like India, with the Himalayas between them and China.

Vietnam is truly defenseless in any realistic scenario.

Being neutral is their only realistic move.

The US lifted the ban on arms exports to Vietnam a few years ago, but it certainly doesn't sell strategic weapons like the F-35 or Tohamawk.

If Vietnam can buy M777 and Himars with TOT, that would be great.

No doubt the US won't sell them strategic weapons like those mentioned, but your suggestion would definitely be doable and would help them.

If the CPV is doing this, there might be some serious problems inside China.

If China is truly strong, Vietnam wouldn't be doing this.
Historically, it's when China is weak that it's attacking Vietnam (for nationalism back home) so we should be careful.

Vietnam is acting more like coquettish now.
Most recently, Wang Yi also said something about the ideological similarities between the two countries and we all understand that as nonsense.

Vietnam and China just use each other and they will stab each other if given the chance.

No one believes in the good relationship between Vietnam and China, and the relationship between the two sides will not change in a positive direction. If you think that political views and statements represent the real thoughts and actions of a country, that is strange.

Joining the KMT in '49 was not a good idea.

Vietnam should also be rational in order to obtain more benefits.
Vietnam has never changed its political stance in recent decades and this will continue for at least the next 50 years.

Last edited:
If the CPV is doing this, there might be some serious problems inside China.

If China is truly strong, Vietnam wouldn't be doing this.
Historically, it's when China is weak that it's attacking Vietnam (for nationalism back home) so we should be careful.
More likely it is due to pressure from Biden.

We have seen the Biden Administration going full bore on pressuring every country in the region in the last few years.

Doing this "strategic partnership" might buy Vietnam a few more years before being forced to make any harder decisions.

More likely it is due to pressure from Biden.

We have seen the Biden Administration going full bore on pressuring every country in the region in the last few years.

Doing this "strategic partnership" might buy Vietnam a few more years before being forced to make any harder decisions.
What pressure from Biden?

Biden can't do shit, sorry to say.

What pressure from Biden?

Biden can't do shit, sorry to say.
Biden was even able to force India to stop being neutral.

Putting pressure on Vietnam by threatening something important, like trading relationships, could result in the kind of gestures like the "strategic partnership" that was mentioned above.

Biden was even able to force India to stop being neutral.

Putting pressure on Vietnam by threatening something important, like trading relationships, could result in the kind of gestures like the "strategic partnership" that was mentioned above.
India is still trading with Russia. India's antagonism against China is again, India seeing China's weakness really, out of its opportunism.

Even friggin' Japan, a literal occupied vassal, is still trading with Russia and saying no to the US on no-whaling.
Biden has no card to play at the moment, if he sanctions more countries, USA will be even more fucked.

India is still trading with Russia. India's antagonism against China is again, India seeing China's weakness really, out of its opportunism.

Even friggin' Japan, a literal occupied vassal, is still trading with Russia and saying no to the US on no-whaling.
Biden has no card to play at the moment, if he sanctions more countries, USA will be even more fucked.
Vietnam is more important than Japan or India.

Vietnam would potentially give the U.S. a strategic beachhead directly next to China's manufacturing hub.

If the U.S. can slowly "boil the frog" of Vietnamese neutrality, the U.S. would have the best possible location to launch a ground invasion of China in a nuclear first strike scenario.

Vietnam is more important than Japan or India.

Vietnam would potentially give the U.S. a strategic beachhead directly next to China's manufacturing hub.

If the U.S. can slowly "boil the frog" of Vietnamese neutrality, the U.S. would have the best possibly location to launch a ground invasion of China in a nuclear first strike scenario.
Yeah, but the US has no card to play against India or Vietnam, hell, it's running out of card to play against Japan despite occupying the country.

Back
Top Bottom