Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Beloved BNN duo goes grim for new film 'Quetta'
IMAGES STAFF DESK REPORT
IRFAN UL HAQ REPORTER
561768841c5aa.jpg

Posters of the film.
You would think that a team as witty and playful as the Banana News Network (BNN) and 4 Man Show folks would continue its streak of side-splitting TV shows. But Murtaza and Faysal Chaudary are stepping away from the media limelight and entering the uncharted territory of big screens.

Their upcoming venture Quetta is centered on the survival story of three men. With Murtaza donning the director's cap and also doing screenplay, Faysal is at the helm for the film's writing.

Murtaza tells Images Quetta is an "emotional drama" set in a city of significant historical and geographical importance.

"The film is set in Quetta. It documents the journeys of three individuals of different age groups who have diverse experiences and aspirations. What brings them together is their ability to dream against the magnanimous odds."

"It has been shot in Quetta to the core. Not only did we shoot the entire movie there but all the actors, costume designers and production support staff are also from there."

While the makers are the much-adored men from one of Pakistan's most popular comedy shows, the film doesn't boast famous actors in the lead.

"A real story could be best portrayed by real people who have lived those stories. To ensure that the screen is authentic and genuine to the viewers, except a few veterans, majority of the cast members are new actors."

When asked why they made the dramatic switch from humour to drama, Murtaza says it's a matter of perception.

"We have been a household name for raising serious societal problems and issues in a humorous manner. This time the chosen medium is also what you and I call 'serious'."

While satire is a clever tool that highlights societal ills, Murtaza feels certain stories should be addressed with a grave concern.

"Humour is a rubber sword, it allows you to make a point without drawing blood. We have always used humour to bring to fore society's prevailing issues, albeit in a subdued way. This film is an extension of the same thought process and aims to evoke emotions regarding forgotten issues."

Will they leave what they do best — political satire? Not quite.

"While the interest for political satire is very much present, we have intentionally taken a break to focus on film projects," he assured.

Murtaza says the film is slated for an international release in January next year and "very soon" across the country.
Beloved BNN duo goes grim for new film 'Quetta' - Favourites

Efforts like these will provide the baby steps that we need to take to bring Balochistan back into mainstream Pakistan.

Omg watch this trailer @Paksanity @Irfan Baloch

I didnt know quetta is so beautiful .....tho unfortunately not so developed.

Beloved BNN duo goes grim for new film 'Quetta'
IMAGES STAFF DESK REPORT
IRFAN UL HAQ REPORTER
561768841c5aa.jpg

Posters of the film.
You would think that a team as witty and playful as the Banana News Network (BNN) and 4 Man Show folks would continue its streak of side-splitting TV shows. But Murtaza and Faysal Chaudary are stepping away from the media limelight and entering the uncharted territory of big screens.

Their upcoming venture Quetta is centered on the survival story of three men. With Murtaza donning the director's cap and also doing screenplay, Faysal is at the helm for the film's writing.

Murtaza tells Images Quetta is an "emotional drama" set in a city of significant historical and geographical importance.

"The film is set in Quetta. It documents the journeys of three individuals of different age groups who have diverse experiences and aspirations. What brings them together is their ability to dream against the magnanimous odds."

"It has been shot in Quetta to the core. Not only did we shoot the entire movie there but all the actors, costume designers and production support staff are also from there."

While the makers are the much-adored men from one of Pakistan's most popular comedy shows, the film doesn't boast famous actors in the lead.

"A real story could be best portrayed by real people who have lived those stories. To ensure that the screen is authentic and genuine to the viewers, except a few veterans, majority of the cast members are new actors."

When asked why they made the dramatic switch from humour to drama, Murtaza says it's a matter of perception.

"We have been a household name for raising serious societal problems and issues in a humorous manner. This time the chosen medium is also what you and I call 'serious'."

While satire is a clever tool that highlights societal ills, Murtaza feels certain stories should be addressed with a grave concern.

"Humour is a rubber sword, it allows you to make a point without drawing blood. We have always used humour to bring to fore society's prevailing issues, albeit in a subdued way. This film is an extension of the same thought process and aims to evoke emotions regarding forgotten issues."

Will they leave what they do best — political satire? Not quite.

"While the interest for political satire is very much present, we have intentionally taken a break to focus on film projects," he assured.

Murtaza says the film is slated for an international release in January next year and "very soon" across the country.
Beloved BNN duo goes grim for new film 'Quetta' - Favourites
I never really liked these 4 man show guys acting skills..etc etc so iwonder how well Mustafa wud have directed the filmmmmm and guesss whatttttttttttt it is produced by sana bucha productions...that news anchor or reporter has setup her own prouction house.

trailer was amazing! my uncle was wed in quetta, and ive hear how cold and beautiful it used to be in 80s.
will love it to watch it, only problem is i have to wait for months and months for dvd release as no theatrical release in qatar
:( hopefully once lollywood goes up big time they'll screen our films here too :)

This is the sort of movies Pak should be making.. Genuine,original and inspiring...

The imagery and characters appear very real... Brings back memories of my Quetta...:tup:

@jamahir.

trailer was amazing! my uncle was wed in quetta, and ive hear how cold and beautiful it used to be in 80s.
will love it to watch it, only problem is i have to wait for months and months for dvd release as no theatrical release in qatar
:( hopefully once lollywood goes up big time they'll screen our films here too :)
Quetta weddings hahaha M4 say khulay fire,fast pashtu music,khatak dance and kababs ah memories @DESERT FIGHTER

This is the sort of movies Pak should be making.. Genuine,original and inspiring...

The imagery and characters appear very real

seems like the one or two irani films i have seen, though with a bit more drama.

... Brings back memories of my Quetta...:tup:

@jamahir.

you lived long there??

and seems a place of many cultures, what it being close to afghanistan but also bringing the mine workers from other parts of pakistan i suppose.

Brilliant trailer. Anyone have a brief plot synopsis? This shows promise in that I saw, no cheap 'typical trailer shots'.
From the looks of it i think it based around hazara shias and security situation of Quetta

Back
Top Bottom