What's new

BD-Burma Relations

While many of us here are crying over possible Indian attack and India's "treacherous" policies which are causing "slow poisoning" to our beloved country,we are forgetting one enemy in our backyard.Its Myanmar.

Its because of them we have to house so many Rohingya refugee,when we can't even properly feed our own population.These refugees on the other hand are actively involved in terrorist activities.But we can only pity these people,as they are executed in their own country.

After last years' Naval standoff,Myanmar has significantly increased its military presence in bordering states.While our BDR is crippled,they have reinforced their military in nearby Rakhain state.

Our govt. as always continues to consider Myanmar a "Friendly" nation,but the Burmese Generals consider Bangladesh as a "Hostile" neighbour.

So it is time that our foreign policy be changed while "Dealing with the Generals".

OK, but why do you feel India may attack? A few border misunderstandings, illegal migration, terrorists running away across the border on being chased or unhappiness on water sharing, are these factors tanamount to aggression or war between neighbours?

He did not say the Indians will attack,he mentioned the opinion of some others.

don't we have artillery battalions in the southeast? things enough to hit back with??

He did not say the Indians will attack,he mentioned the opinion of some others.

don't we have artillery battalions in the southeast? things enough to hit back with??

Artillery is of little use in jungle and mountainous terrian bordering BD and Burma. Unless you have someone observing the fire on the other side. Far better to sort things out diplomatically. What is the status of trade between the two nations? An important reallity of twentieth century, nations that trade, seldom go to war.

I completely agree with you.

With India,we can probably get things right about territory in the UN.But with Myanmar,that doesn't look too bright.
We are a defensive nation,and the first thing we do is to negotiate.But the Generals out there hardly understands dialogue.You have seen in Su-Kie's case.For that we need to be prepared for the worst.

Having said that,our govt. did not take any step to counter the Burmese troop build up yet.Even a minor border skirmish will become disaster for us.From the looks of things,they are preparing and preparing for something major.

So our Govt. needs to change its "soft-soft" attitude and try to deal "softly and roughly" with rough customers.

Leon

I am not suggesting pacifism neither am I aware of the BD Govts plans / intentions but it would be safe to say that all Govt create ' retaining walls" thru contacts & various other means to ensure theit interests are not violated.

Those days of changing International borders by force are over, the last man who tried it by overruning Kuwait hung by a rope.

This however in no way impinges on the need for a nation to be prepared to defend itself. This needs to be balanced as weapons get obsolete fast & need more investment which is the cost of development.

Artillery is of little use in jungle and mountainous terrian bordering BD and Burma. Unless you have someone observing the fire on the other side. Far better to sort things out diplomatically. What is the status of trade between the two nations? An important reallity of twentieth century, nations that trade, seldom go to war.

Please don't laugh when you read the following:

The last time I checked,the volume of trade between Bangladesh and Myanmar,it was around USD 36000 !!!

That is the trade between two countries!!

Only reason Burmese goods are abundant in the Chittagong and neighbouring areas is because of smuggling.But official trade stands at USD 36000.
The situation probably improved now.Probably the volume of trade increased.

About artillery,It is of use if they try to overrun our territory.As you probably don't know,Bangladesh army does not use anti-personnel mine at all.We destroyed our stock couple of years back.So if there are skirmishes,and they try to take over some territory,they will hardly have any problems having the backing of artillery.
They will hardly have any problem as we are not organised down there,but they are.

Please don't laugh when you read the following:

The last time I checked,the volume of trade between Bangladesh and Myanmar,it was around USD 36000 !!!

That is the trade between two countries!!

Only reason Burmese goods are abundant in the Chittagong and neighbouring areas is because of smuggling.But official trade stands at USD 36000.
The situation probably improved now.Probably the volume of trade increased.
About artillery,It is of use if they try to overrun our territory.As you probably don't know,Bangladesh army does not use anti-personnel mine at all.We destroyed our stock couple of years back.So if there are skirmishes,and they try to take over some territory,they will hardly have any problems having the backing of artillery.
They will hardly have any problem as we are not organised down there,but they are.

Leon, I understand your concern. Still suggest you give diplomacy a good try. Every body has his hands full now, aggression should be the last thing on any one's mind. Besides, like Third Eye said, the international community has very little tolerance for naked aggression.

Leon, I understand your concern. Still suggest you give diplomacy a good try. Every body has his hands full now, aggression should be the last thing on any one's mind. Besides, like Third Eye said, the international community has very little tolerance for naked aggression.

I think you are misunderstanding me.I never said diplomacy should not be given chance.Diplomacy should be given a chance,but we can not afford to put all our eggs in one basket.We should keep our military ready to prevent any possible invasion by Myanmar.
As you read in the articles before,that Burmese are also establishing an airbase close to Bangladesh.So,the Govt. should at least take some measures to prevent any misadventure by Myanmar.We were almost at war in 1991 and last year there was a naval stand off.With critical water territory,there will be more stand offs in the years to come.

Besides, like Third Eye said, the international community has very little tolerance for naked aggression.
The international community won't do a damn thing when the Myanmarese send their forces across the border.Not a single thing.Diplomacy will be used first but then the frigates and the 24 Infantry Division will have to be used I am afraid.
Look we are the defenders here.we are the ones with the wall behind our backs not the Burmese.

about airpower,what air defences and fighter aircraft do the Burmese have?

anything of our airforce any use against them?

The international community won't do a damn thing when the Myanmarese send their forces across the border.Not a single thing.Diplomacy will be used first but then the frigates and the 24 Infantry Division will have to be used I am afraid.
Look we are the defenders here.we are the ones with the wall behind our backs not the Burmese.

about airpower,what air defences and fighter aircraft do the Burmese have?

anything of our airforce any use against them?

This site gives the comparative military strengths of nations. Myanmar is 27th while BD is 55th, so they seem to have an edge there. But what is amazing is the military spending of Myanmar
Military expenditures
USD figure 7.07 billion US $ (FY2005 est.) [1]
Percent of GDP 89% (2005 est.)
Wonder if it is correct? 8.9% sounds more appropriate though still too high.
List of countries by size of armed forces - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think you are misunderstanding me.I never said diplomacy should not be given chance.Diplomacy should be given a chance,but we can not afford to put all our eggs in one basket.We should keep our military ready to prevent any possible invasion by Myanmar.
As you read in the articles before,that Burmese are also establishing an airbase close to Bangladesh.So,the Govt. should at least take some measures to prevent any misadventure by Myanmar.We were almost at war in 1991 and last year there was a naval stand off.With critical water territory,there will be more stand offs in the years to come.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the nature of dispute with Myanmar?

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the nature of dispute with Myanmar?

Mainly its territory,overlapping water territory where both countries lay claim.We have the same problem with India.

Another problem is that,the intrusion of Rohingya refugees.These people are muslims,and thats why are executed in their homeland Myanmar.They are intruding into our territory,and the disturbing of all,they are involved in Militancy.As you see,the Rohingyas are poor,so the Fundis finds recruit among them.
We had talks with Burma to take these people back,but they are in no mood for that.Burma hates Rohingyas because they are muslim and according to one Burmese official they are "ugly looking".So you see we have a racist regime as a neighbor.
We were almost at war with Burma in 1991,when the Rohingya persecution started.

Mainly its territory,overlapping water territory where both countries lay claim.We have the same problem with India.

Another problem is that,the intrusion of Rohingya refugees.These people are muslims,and thats why are executed in their homeland Myanmar.They are intruding into our territory,and the disturbing of all,they are involved in Militancy.As you see,the Rohingyas are poor,so the Fundis finds recruit among them.
We had talks with Burma to take these people back,but they are in no mood for that.Burma hates Rohingyas because they are muslim and according to one Burmese official they are "ugly looking".So you see we have a racist regime as a neighbor.
We were almost at war with Burma in 1991,when the Rohingya persecution started.

You got problems buddy.

OK, but why do you feel India may attack? A few border misunderstandings, illegal migration, terrorists running away across the border on being chased or unhappiness on water sharing, are these factors tanamount to aggression or war between neighbours?

ahm ahm :lol:

Lets say Myanmar attacks Bangladesh, will India sit back and let a friendly nation be invaded in its own backyard? Not saying Bangladesh can't defend itself, but i hardly think India would tolerate such aggression.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom