What's new

[BBC]100 Women: The Pakistani women shamed for their lifestyle

Zen0

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
Pakistan is a country of stark contrasts, and when it comes to the treatment of women, they are even clearer, writes the BBC's Shumaila Jaffery.

When I was in secondary school in 1988, Benazir Bhutto's first election was fascinating for me – to the extent that I now feel her presence in those elections prompted my interest in current affairs and landed me in the journalism profession.

But I also remember fierce discussions with one of my classmates. She was the daughter of a prominent politician on the other side.

Rather than give political reasons, my classmate used to refer to Ms Bhutto's liberal lifestyle in London - and as a student in Oxford - to demean her.

It always left me angry.

I felt the same anger recently when famous Pakistani actress Mahira Khan was abused after some pictures went viral on social media.

She was "caught" spending time with Bollywood star Ranbir Kapoor, smoking a cigarette on the streets of New York City. She was wearing a short backless dress inspired by Marilyn Monroe.

The pictures caused a social media storm in Pakistan. She was "slut shamed", shunned, and blamed for bringing Pakistan and Islam into disrepute.

And it's not the first time a Pakistani woman has been shamed for her choice of lifestyle.

In 2007, Zill-e-Huma, a provincial minister, was killed by an extremist. Her killer later confessed that he assassinated her for not dressing "appropriately" and for "indulging" in politics.

The same year, another female minister, Nilofar Bakhtiar, was humiliated, threatened, and ditched by her own party - because she hugged her parachute instructor after completing a jump in France.

A cleric issued a religious decree against her. She was forced to resign. Her political career was finished for good.

These were prominent women: high achievers who were celebrated for their contributions, who made their own choices and lived on their own terms.

They brushed the edges of the box created by society for "good women" - and the moment society felt they stepped outside its bounds, they fell from grace.

What is 100 Women?
BBC 100 Women names 100 influential and inspirational women around the world every year. In 2017, we're challenging them to tackle four of the biggest problems facing women today - the glass ceiling, female illiteracy, harassment in public spaces and sexism in sport.

With your help, they'll be coming up with real-life solutions and we want you to get involved with your ideas. Find us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and use #100Women

_86601327_line976.jpg

But misogyny is not limited to prominent women. It is deeply entrenched in the social mindset, and hardly any women escape - though there are exceptions.

Pakistan is a country of stark contrasts, and when it comes to the treatment of women, they are even clearer.

Shortly after Zill-e-Huma and Nilfoar suffered for their actions, a large number of Pakistanis were supporting another woman - Aafia Siddiqui.

She was arrested by US troops in the Ghazni province of Afghanistan in 2008. Pakistanis took to the streets to condemn her detention, and demanded her release. But in 2010, Siddiqui was convicted of seven counts of attempted murder and assault.

_98268068_gettyimages-459026390.jpg
Image copyrightGETTY IMAGES
Image captionProtesters rallied to campaign for the release of a woman convicted of attempted murder
Pakistanis were infuriated, and the verdict became the rallying point for the anti-American sentiment in the country. The reaction was so strong that the government had to express its dismay over the decision, and vowed to bring her back. Siddiqui was called the "daughter of the nation".

When news about San Bernardino shooter Tashfeen Malik appeared in the press in 2015, she was not abused or smeared. A few people spoke about it on social media, but the reaction was muted.

The same pattern was followed when Noreen Laghari, the female militant, was arrested in the eastern city of Lahore earlier this year. She was about to blow up a church, before security agencies caught her during a raid.

Mahira came into the limelight through a famous soap opera called Humsafar, in which she played the role of Khird, a submissive woman. She rose to stardom within months.

But recent events show that it is not Mahira that people fell in love with. It was Khird, the weak and oppressed woman, who won the hearts of Pakistanis.

Khird is well within the box a misogynous society has created.

But Mahira - seen smoking and "hanging out" - is too much to handle for a nation that is still not comfortable with independent and empowered women.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-41582898

Empowered women does not equal gashtis.

Btw why is this Indian so obsessed with Pakistani women? :lol:

Begaani shaadi mey Abdullah Diwana....:-)

You didn't get his/her drift. The article states that India is enlightened like the West (India Amrikaa ho gaya), and they want to 'emancipate' you to their 'level'. You are 'Islamic = backward'. This is the mantra of the RSS-trained bhakts.

Never mind the fact - that in India itself, rape and other abuse of women are a horrific problem and women are subject to despicable levels of misogyny themselves. There is no reason to call India a more 'improved' country in this regard. It is a crime to be born as a woman in India.

Indians should solve their own social problems first before commenting on Pakistan.

This happens all over the world. We had women Prime Minister for two tenures. So please stop this bullshit about women empower. Problem lies in education and our Law and order system. Men are killed more then women, so please, at least we don't have the higher Rape and killing ratio like our neighbors and also the west.

They have their own culture, religion and way of seeing life. If women in Pakistan are not happy about the way society treats them then they can migrate to another more liberal country. So I don't see what's the problem.

They have their own culture, religion and way of seeing life. If women in Pakistan are not happy about the way society treats them then they can migrate to another more liberal country. So I don't see what's the problem.

Fact is women in Pakistan are happy and satisfied with the social culture in terms of dressing, sexual norms, and so on. Infact women in Pakistan see women of other cultures whoring themselves around, going from male to male to get fucked, and living childless lives and are utterly disgusted.

That’s why culture in Pakistan, and infact ENTIRE global Islamic world, remains deeply traditionally Islamic/conservative when it comes to dressing, sexual norms, family, marriage, children, gender roles, alcohol/drug consumption etc etc. It’s not that Muslim women “long” for some sexual revolution—infact, they despise the degeneracy and inferior social culture (in their view) that has come about in the outside lands with all the whoredom, drinking, out of wedlock children, destruction of family and traditional values, and so on.

Therefore even in a country like Turkey, where Westernization/secularization was imposes via education and state, the social culture remained deeply Islamic and liberal-secularism was rooted out after organic political movements arose via civil society.

Ps: The actress Mahira Khan and her likes are pieces of shit. I have lost all my respect for her and so have millions of Pakistanis. She was one of the most adored Pakistani female celebrity but her pictures of wearing skirt and smoking has absolutely decimated her fan base in Pakistan. Good riddance.

They are media people and belong to gender less class. They don't have any norms or culture to follow. This happens in all the media section across the globe . Pakistan is no exception.

Fact is women in Pakistan are happy and satisfied with the social culture in terms of dressing, sexual norms, and so on. Infact women in Pakistan see women of other cultures whoring themselves around, going from male to male to get fucked, and living childless lives and are utterly disgusted.

That’s why culture in Pakistan, and infact ENTIRE global Islamic world, remains deeply traditionally Islamic/conservative when it comes to dressing, sexual norms, family, marriage, children, gender roles, alcohol/drug consumption etc etc. It’s not that Muslim women “long” for some sexual revolution—infact, they despise the degeneracy and inferior social culture (in their view) that has come about in the outside lands with all the whoredom, drinking, out of wedlock children, destruction of family and traditional values, and so on.

Therefore even in a country like Turkey, where Westernization/secularization was imposes via education and state, the social culture remained deeply Islamic and liberal-secularism was rooted out after organic political movements arose via civil society.

Ps: The actress Mahira Khan and her likes are pieces of shit. I have lost all my respect for her and so have millions of Pakistanis. She was one of the most adored Pakistani female celebrity but her pictures of wearing skirt and smoking has absolutely decimated her fan base in Pakistan. Good riddance.
Another moron spewing his nonsense on behalf of women. They can think for themselves. There will be those who uphold the traditional values and those who won't. Neither one is wrong. What we don't need is more fanatics trying to impose their worldview an entire population. Both our countries could learn to let go of our egos and let people live their lives.

This is just typical nonsense where somehow a hijab/burqa means no freedom for women whereas if they have skimpy clothes it is considered freedom. In reality women in Pakistan are free to wear whatever they want...as in hijab/burqa isn't enforced.

We should tag Pakistani girls/women on this thread to get their opinions on this.

My personal opinion is that everyone should just keep their opinions on what someone should wear or not to themselves. Live and let live.

didnt see that coming from you sir.
shocked to say at the least.

Indians should solve their own social problems first before commenting on Pakistan.
so u mean to a say one mustn't post articles of a particular country if he or she doesnt belong to that country?
u know that u sound ridiculous.

How dare you. How about all of you divk hanging zombies move out and leave me with all the females in pakistan. Its already 51/49 in favor of men over females i dont want this ratio to be even wider.

This happens all over the world.

Not as extreme as this.
We had women Prime Minister for two tenures.

So?half this sub continent have had female PM
So please stop this bullshit about women empower. Problem lies in education and our Law and order system.
There is nothing b.s. about demanding rights.
Men are killed more then women, so please.
Because its a social taboo for women to do "mans" job, Pakistan has the lowest women employment ratio in south asia
miwa_15.png

and killing ratio like our neighbors and also the west.

Crime level
Pakistan 69

India 47

Violent hate crime
Pakistan 44
India 25

Murder rate
Pakistan 6.8
India 2.8

Intentional homicide rate
Pakistan 7.3
India 2.7

Illegal drugs
Pakistan 59
India. 32

http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/compare/India/Pakistan/Crime

Pakistan
India.

In reality women in Pakistan are free to wear whatever they want...as in hijab/burqa isn't enforced.

Free, more than free .......... man in our gym they have special separate timings for women ......... during those timings not one single male can come close to the gym doors ......... however, on the other hand women are free and allowed to come and exercise during male gym timing :angry:. Sexist ......... unjust.

She was one of the most adored Pakistani female celebrity but her pictures of wearing skirt and smoking has absolutely decimated her fan base in Pakistan. Good riddance.
So a lady wearing a skirt or smoking is being a whore?

Free, more than free .......... man in our gym they have special separate timings for women ......... during those timings not one single male can come close to the gym doors ......... however, on the other hand women are free and allowed to come and exercise during male gym timing :angry:. Sexist ......... unjust.
Lol it maybe a bit sexist but not unjust...it's the cultural norm. U r just letting ur tharak get in the way. I bet u wanna go to the gym when it's just girls there :partay:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom