What's new

Basic Training?

Blain,

Were the variants sourced for Russian designs or Chinese ones ???

What are the numbers of RPGs in a combat patrol ?? Are they used as anti-armor or anti-personnel ??

Blain,

Were the variants sourced for Russian designs or Chinese ones ???

What are the numbers of RPGs in a combat patrol ?? Are they used as anti-armor or anti-personnel ??

Chinese. Numbers I am not to sure about to be very honest. This changes (a while back the # of MG3s were increased from 2 to 3 at platoon level and I susepct the RPG-7 allocation is on a similar scale). The role primarily is anti-armour. Until and unless its a air-burst RPG-7AP projectile (which contains balls with an HE charge unlike the conventional RPG-7 round), which is suited for use against personnel and soft-skinned equipment.

Sword no I have not and have been living in luxury in the US for a long while now. And please drop the sir...I am not worthy of it (I am not your parallel either...you know much more than I do).
Then i must compliment your upbringing (your parents did a good job) and your own self study. You debate like a serviceman or should I say officer.

About the RPG-7. The joke in J&K is - the safest place in the event of an RPG attack is to stand where the militant is aiming it.

On a serious note, the weapon is obsolete and cannot stop any tank in the subcontinent.

A good shot in the back OTH could possibly disable it.
Theoretically - yes, practically - no.
The combination of infantry support with tanks reduces that possibility in conventional battles, except in MOUT/ FIBUA senario.

Western armies tend to field disposable anti tank rockets like LAW and the soldiers also carry a rifle.

How does PAK army field RPG soldiers?
Do the soldiers carry spare rockets does he have a rifle to carry?

Theoretically - yes, practically - no.
The combination of infantry support with tanks reduces that possibility in conventional battles, except in MOUT/ FIBUA senario.

Even then the RPG's backblast can cause problems in some environments.....

J.K. the problem with most of the disposable weapons is that they lack penetration too. As well as the cost.

And trust me the Light part of LAW is a bloody lie! The one issued to the British army (soon to be replaced) weighs about 10kg and is an utter pain in the arse to carry!:sick:

Could you tell more when you mean this?
Sorry for not expanding the abbreviations
MOUT = Military ops in urban terrain.
FIBUA = Fighting in built up areas.

RPG detachments on roof tops can target the top of all armd vehicles in ambushes. The top of the armd vehicle has the weakest armour protection, so an M1/ Merkava are as good as a T-55/ T-72 in a built up area.

In conventional ops the defender has to face the front of the tank (the strongest area), and the RPG-7 just does not have the punch required to knock out a tank from the front, it can at best attempt to disable it by hitting the tracks, and that is at 500 mtrs.

At 500 mtrs, the poor sight system of the RPG launcher is not very accurate, coupled with the enemy arty barage and smoke, making aiming a very difficult task. If by that time the enemy tanks are 300 mtrs away, and have not been stopped, then nothing else will.

The accompaning infantry with the tanks does not allow RPG detachments to out flank the armour close enough to do any damage.

Western armies tend to field disposable anti tank rockets like LAW and the soldiers also carry a rifle.

If I am not mistaken, there is one RPG per infantry platoon. The detachment carries the authorized number of rockets, which could range from 4-6.

The gunner is genarally authorized a carbine/ SMG, and the loader carries a rifle.

Again the issue comes down to how much per capita you spend on a soldier. US Army has replaced LAW with AT-4 now. However PA has ways to go before something more sophisticated can be used. The AT-4 costs approx. $1500 for US Army. PA can ill-afford something at that unit cost when RPG-7s can be produced by POF for $300-400. Its the same dilemma as the conversion from 7.62 to 5.56mm. Need money which usually is not easily available.

Then i must compliment your upbringing (your parents did a good job) and your own self study. You debate like a serviceman or should I say officer.

Thanks Sword, I feel likewise about your upbringing as well.

Back
Top Bottom