eastwatch

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
BR goes for huge procurement | Business | bdnews24.com

BR goes for huge procurement
Mon, Jan 3rd, 2011 7:25 pm
Sheikh Shahariar Zaman

Dhaka, Jan 3 (bdnews24.com) -- Bangladesh Railway is going to procure 30 broad gauge locomotives, 100 metre gauge tank wagons and 10 diesel electric rail cars from India under a $1 billion credit line deal.

"The total cost of the procurement will be over Tk 10 billion and it'll be financed under the Indian credit line," BR director general T A Chowdhury told bdnews24.com on Monday.

"We'll procure those from India according to the agreement signed between the two governments," he said.

Dhaka and New Delhi signed a $1 billion credit line agreement in August last year for implementing different projects in Bangladesh.

The projects will be discussed in the Executive Committee of National Economic Council (ECNEC) on Tuesday and the railway will float tenders immediately if those are passed, Chowdhury said.

"The equipment will be procured within 12 months of the approval; if it delays Bangladesh will have to a pay commitment charges on the loan amount," he said.

BR will procure 30 broad gauge locomotives at an estimated cost of Tk 6.07 billion, 100 metre gauge tank wagons at Tk 770 million and 10 diesel electric rail cars at Tk 3.31 billion.

The Indian credit line was extended to Bangladesh in line with joint communiqué issue declared by Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and Indian Premier Manmohan Singh in New Delhi January last year.

The loan, to be made available by the Exim Bank, a public sector bank of India, carries an interest rate of 1.75 percent per annum with a commitment fee of 0.5 percent on unutilised credit after 12 months from the date of contract approval. The repayment period is 20 years with a grace period of five years.

The line of credit will be used in projects including those of building railway infrastructure, supply of broad gauge locomotives and passenger coaches, rehabilitation of Saidpur workshop, procurement of buses, including articulate buses, and dredging projects and development of container terminal at Ashuganj.

Can not blame India if they can find stupid and brainless buyers.

I would beg to differ. India apparantly has a very mature railway network and manufacturing plant. The next logical progression would be to become an international supplier.

BR goes for huge procurement | Business | bdnews24.com

BR goes for huge procurement
Mon, Jan 3rd, 2011 7:25 pm
Sheikh Shahariar Zaman

Dhaka, Jan 3 (bdnews24.com) -- Bangladesh Railway is going to procure 30 broad gauge locomotives, 100 metre gauge tank wagons and 10 diesel electric rail cars from India under a $1 billion credit line deal.

"The total cost of the procurement will be over Tk 10 billion and it'll be financed under the Indian credit line," BR director general T A Chowdhury told bdnews24.com on Monday.

"We'll procure those from India according to the agreement signed between the two governments," he said.

Dhaka and New Delhi signed a $1 billion credit line agreement in August last year for implementing different projects in Bangladesh.

The projects will be discussed in the Executive Committee of National Economic Council (ECNEC) on Tuesday and the railway will float tenders immediately if those are passed, Chowdhury said.

"The equipment will be procured within 12 months of the approval; if it delays Bangladesh will have to a pay commitment charges on the loan amount," he said.

BR will procure 30 broad gauge locomotives at an estimated cost of Tk 6.07 billion, 100 metre gauge tank wagons at Tk 770 million and 10 diesel electric rail cars at Tk 3.31 billion.

The Indian credit line was extended to Bangladesh in line with joint communiqué issue declared by Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and Indian Premier Manmohan Singh in New Delhi January last year.

The loan, to be made available by the Exim Bank, a public sector bank of India, carries an interest rate of 1.75 percent per annum with a commitment fee of 0.5 percent on unutilised credit after 12 months from the date of contract approval. The repayment period is 20 years with a grace period of five years.

The line of credit will be used in projects including those of building railway infrastructure, supply of broad gauge locomotives and passenger coaches, rehabilitation of Saidpur workshop, procurement of buses, including articulate buses, and dredging projects and development of container terminal at Ashuganj.

I for one will not buy these from India. I believe its a CIA + RAW + MOSSAD conspiracy to infiltrate Bangladesh with rail locomotives which will then be used to:

1. Spy on Bangladeshis travelling in them
2. Go into auto delivery mode and start ferrying goods to India and not pay billions of dollars in transit fees
3. Have sex with Bangladeshi exiting locomotives and spread aids among them
4. Use subliminal messaging to spread a pro India feeling among Bangladeshis
5. Break down over 166 acres of BD territory and claim that it belongs to India

Did I miss anything important? :partay:

Can not blame India if they can find stupid and brainless buyers.

Zakir why is there such a spilit in Bangladeshi Opinion. Some find India their cozy ally and other treat it as an enemy as probebly we do? Is that the same historical incident still lingering on?

Just look at their govt's moves against Pakistan and pro-Indian policies. Most of the people think this way. When we were in trouble they sided with India but doing worse after wards. They have betrayed us.

I thought India and Pakistan are separate country. We deal with them separately. We did offered work order to Pakistan and will in future. But you have to make the offer first and let us decide.. BD is open for business and plenty of things going on for everybody now a days.. :azn:

Very good decision, Hope India can help Bangladesh with better locomotive technologies. We have a huge experience... Great news indeed.

I for one will not buy these from India. I believe its a CIA + RAW + MOSSAD conspiracy to infiltrate Bangladesh with rail locomotives which will then be used to:

2. Go into auto delivery mode and start ferrying goods to India and not pay billions of dollars in transit fees

OMFG! freakin hilarious! Especially 3! You Sir are my hero :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Awesome one :d cant stop laughing :rofl::rofl::rofl:

You forgot more than 80% indians are below poverty line......
You should've used that "fact" in some context......:tup:

I would beg to differ. India apparantly has a very mature railway network and manufacturing plant. The next logical progression would be to become an international supplier.

It is a purely business deal. And your opinion is quite correct. Locomotives (Diesel-Electric and Electric) have been built in India since the early 1960s. With constant upgradation in design.
Still IMO, the Republic of Bangladesh is not obliged to buy some thing specific from somewhere specific. All that needs to happen is that they must get the best possible deal; from wherever that comes. On a technical note, the rail track gauge in both India and Bangladesh are identical; the railway systems are inter-connected, so the locomotives can be just driven across the border, saving a huge amount in transportation costs which helps.

So the 1b $ loan isn't for building roads needed for India only.

Back
Top Bottom