What's new

Bangladesh Navy

Thanks for the confirmation. I think the replacement for the 80's era Pohang class corvette (1200 tons) is the Incheon-class frigate with much higher endurance (and like you said - there is going to be newer versions/sizes scaled up/down as in flight II at present). So far - there is no indication that Korea is developing a dedicated small corvette design as a 1300 ton equivalent to the Chinese Type 056. There are however going to be scaled down smaller versions of the Incheon class at 1400 ton size.

About Incheon class having VLS - this is highly unusual for a frigate class vessel this small. Usually much larger frigates (and small Destroyers) having displacements above 5000 tons start having VLS systems. The variation of the Incheon class for Bangladesh may be scaled down to 1400 tons (as is the version proposed for Israel). Israel's version will have their Barak Naval anti-missile system and advanced Phased Array radars outfitted in Israel Shipyards after the fact.

It's not known if Bangladesh's version will have Harpoon missiles for the VLS or an equivalent Chinese copy. The larger Incheon class has a Korean version of the Harpoon.

On a side note - It is interesting to reflect that the Chinese type 052D class destroyer (two sizes up from the 056 class corvette) is a more or less direct copy of the USS Arleigh Burke Class DDG, complete with a Chinese Phased Array radar, AEGIS system and digital ECM suite fitted.

thats a nice discussion you've pulled up..... I haven't really thought of VLS for our ships, considering them a little too much for our little budget now..... I really envy the Israelis..... have a look at their Sa'ar 5 corvettes..... only 1,200tons..... yet, they had developed a missile that is perfect for their small ships.... as many as 64 Barak missiles were cramped into those small boats!!.... and what a clever little missile that is.... the Indian Navy put those missiles in most frigates and destroyers in addition to all other armaments the ships originally had..... I haven't seen another missile as compact as that of Barak....

another class of ships that also attracted my attention is the Norwegian Navy's Skjold-class corvettes.... a boat as small as 47.50 m and 274ton can hide as many as 8 NSM SSMs with 185km range within its structure!!..... and it also carries Mistral SAMs..... such ships give us an idea that its not always about size..... a clever design can always overcome many practical problems.....

Yeah the Israeli Sa'ar 5 corvettes are armed to the teeth with Barak missiles. I don't know if that scenario translates to ours in the Bay of Bengal context.

Barak became the Indian Navy's favourite short-range 'anti-missile' missile after indigenous development led by the DRDO to develop their own didn't go anywhere. The Hypersonic Brahmos is a longer range anti-ship/land-attack cruise missile and is a different story.

Here are VLS installation configs on Indian Navy ships. The Kolkata class is the newest.

INS Viraat - Barak 1 (16 cells)
Kolkata class destroyer - Barak 8/Barak 1 (64 cells) and BrahMos (16 cells)
Delhi class destroyer - Barak 1 (32 cells)
Rajput class destroyer - BrahMos (8 cells) and Barak 1
Shivalik class frigate - 3M-54 Klub or BrahMos (8 cells) and Barak 1 (32 cells)
Talwar class frigate - 3M-54 Klub or BrahMos (8 cells)
Brahmaputra class frigate - Barak 1 (24 cells)
Godavari class frigate - Barak 1 (24 cells)
Kamorta class corvette - Barak 1 (16 cells)

Last edited:
Gumdoksuri-class patrol vessel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
fire power is between our Durjoy class and Type056 class
talking about VLS in Incheon class ?
New Turkish FAC has VLS .
and last thing, you forgot to mention Incheon class is also Ulan class frigate replacement

yea, the Turkish Navy have added some cool ships in recent times.... but I know of the Ada-class (MILGEM) that is around 100m and 2,400ton that is probably incorporating Mk41 VLS into it..... thats very encouraging for us considering the expense of 150m+ 4,000-5,000ton frigates.....

yea, the Turkish Navy have added some cool ships in recent times.... but I know of the Ada-class (MILGEM) that is around 100m and 2,400ton that is probably incorporating Mk41 VLS into it..... thats very encouraging for us considering the expense of 150m+ 4,000-500ton frigates.....
i am talking about this one :drag:

The new design revealed at Doha International Maritime Defence Exhibition & Conference (DIMDEX) 2014 by STM shows the FACM is equipped with 8 anti-ship missiles, 4 torpedoes, 2 STAMP RCWS, 1 RAM air defence missile system and a stealthy 76 mm Otobreda gun mount.

The heavily armed craft can soar through the seas at 42 knots, allowing it to strike and run.
nuLZ0Ny.jpg

The new design revealed at Doha International Maritime Defence Exhibition & Conference (DIMDEX) 2014 by STM shows the FACM is equipped with 8 anti-ship missiles, 4 torpedoes, 2 STAMP RCWS, 1 RAM air defence missile system and a stealthy 76 mm Otobreda gun mount.

The heavily armed craft can soar through the seas at 42 knots, allowing it to strike and run.

That looks like the MRTP ordered by Pakistan. Or a newer (larger) version? Looking at the wheelhouse it looks way bigger...

Yeah the Israeli Sa'ar 5 corvettes are armed to the teeth with Barak missiles. I don't know if that scenario translates to ours in the Bay of Bengal context.

Barak became the Indian Navy's favourite short-range 'anti-missile' missile after indigenous development led by the DRDO to develop their own didn't go anywhere. The Hypersonic Brahmos is the longer range version and is a different story.

Here are VLS installation configs on Indian Navy ships. The Kolkata class is the newest.

INS Viraat - Barak 1 (16 cells)
Kolkata class destroyer - Barak 8/Barak 1 (64 cells) and BrahMos (16 cells)
Delhi class destroyer - Barak 1 (32 cells)
Rajput class destroyer - BrahMos (8 cells) and Barak 1
Shivalik class frigate - 3M-54 Klub or BrahMos (8 cells) and Barak 1 (32 cells)
Talwar class frigate - 3M-54 Klub or BrahMos (8 cells)
Brahmaputra class frigate - Barak 1 (24 cells)
Godavari class frigate - Barak 1 (24 cells)
Kamorta class corvette - Barak 1 (16 cells)

just take a look at the weapons fitting on those ships in addition to the Barak.... most ships received Barak as an additional defence..... that didn't take any space whatsoever!!..... you'll have a hard time finding the Barak VLS in those ships!!..... actually thats the point.... the compactness of the Barak missile.... in Indian Navy, Kamorta-class corvettes(??) of around 109m and 3,100ton are the smallest ships to have the Barak, which I think is underutilisation of the missile's potential.... other corvettes could also accommodate those missiles..... may be budget had something to do with it....

nuLZ0Ny.jpg
now, thats a kewl ship!! :D

just take a look at the weapons fitting on those ships in addition to the Barak.... most ships received Barak as an additional defence..... that didn't take any space whatsoever!!..... you'll have a hard time finding the Barak VLS in those ships!!..... actually thats the point.... the compactness of the Barak missile.... in Indian Navy, Kamorta-class corvettes(??) of around 109m and 3,100ton are the smallest ships to have the Barak, which I think is underutilisation of the missile's potential.... other corvettes could also accommodate those missiles..... may be budget had something to do with it....

Budget of course. Per wikipedia - Indians paid for 262 Barak-I missiles at INR880 crore (US$147 million). The cost is not unreasonable (even after bribes to the usual suspects). But given the Indians have it - Israel will not be able to sell it to us - even if we wanted to buy it (which is highly unlikely on all counts).

Plus Chinese tech is advancing at a rapid enough pace that this is unnecessary. The C802 missile was a poor step-sister copy of the Exocet ten years ago. And look where the newer versions are now.

Budget of course. Per wikipedia - Indians paid for 262 Barak-I missiles at INR880 crore (US$147 million). The cost is not unreasonable (even after bribes to the usual suspects). But given the Indians have it - Israel will not be able to sell it to us - even if we wanted to buy it (which is highly unlikely on all counts).

Plus Chinese tech is advancing at a rapid enough pace that this is unnecessary. The C802 missile was a poor step-sister copy of the Exocet ten years ago. And look where the newer versions are now.

oh no no.... not at all.... no question about it..... we can't possibly go for any Israeli stuff.... its totally banned.... no diplomatic relation even....

yea, the Turkish Navy have added some cool ships in recent times.... but I know of the Ada-class (MILGEM) that is around 100m and 2,400ton that is probably incorporating Mk41 VLS into it..... thats very encouraging for us considering the expense of 150m+ 4,000-5,000ton frigates.....

Another feasible option for Bangladesh to have a real AAW frigate is to propose a request for Oliver Hazard Perry Class and upgrading them into G-class standard of Turkish Navy. I think the upgrading cost will costing about 160 to 220 million US dollar per-ship regarding what kind of upgrading package you want. I think this option is very worth the time and you can allocate your resources into another acquisition programme like ASW helo and MPA aircraft to adding more surveillance, detection and tracking capability into your Navy.

@Penguin @Neptune @cabatli

Another feasible option for Bangladesh to have a real AAW frigate is to propose a request for Oliver Hazard Perry Class and upgrading them into G-class standard of Turkish Navy. I think the upgrading cost will costing about 160 to 220 million US dollar per-ship regarding what kind of upgrading package you want. I think this option is very worth the time and you can allocate your resources into another acquisition programme like ASW helo and MPA aircraft to adding more surveillance, detection and tracking capability into your Navy.

@Penguin @Neptune @cabatli
no point of upgrading old frigate with cost of 160-220million USD when we can get new stealth frigate at same price from China or South Korea

no point of upgrading old frigate with cost of 160-220million USD when we can get new stealth frigate at same price from China or South Korea

Well is just my thoughts, if you want a new stealth frigate with 2400 tonnage and 5000 Nautical mil coverage range, your Navy can ordering Sigma Class frigate from us or Damen Shipyard

Well is just my thoughts, if you want a new stealth frigate with 2400 tonnage and 5000 Nautical mil coverage range, your Navy can ordering Sigma Class frigate from us or Damen Shipyard
sigma class is corvette with less capability than frigate

correction: just checked morocco variant, well one cost $400 million is way too expensive for us

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom