What's new

Bangladesh Navy

Umm......What are you talking about? Whose incompetency. Based on what I have said it is strange that you have come to the conclusion I have issues with BD acquiring these or any other subs.

Have you actually read the article. The issue is not about the subs, it is all about recalibration of BD away from US towards china.

US expected quite unrealistically that status quo by other nations will continue as is creates a U.S./India pivot in the region.

BD has joined the string of pearls in my opinion as the relationship between the two nation have been formally upgraded. The subs and other military purchases are just one aspect of this multidimensional coordination between the two countries.
My apology, I thought you were Indian trolls because I can't see national flag when use my iPhone logging in.

According to BD Defence site, modification of BN ex-Hamilton Class USCG cutters started already. Who can confirm this? My opinion was that they would not spend money to arm these boats into patrol frigates.....

Systems to be changed and installed include Radar, Sonar, ECM, Electronic warfare systems & misc. armament.

* 8 x C-802A Sarface to Sarface Missile;
* 1 x 8 FM-90N or 1 x 24 FL-3000 Sarface to Air Missile
* 1 x Otobreda 76 mm main gun, forward;
* 2 x Type 730B 6-barrel 30 mm CIWS;
* 2 x 3 324 mm B-515 tubes - Whitehead A244S; torpedo
* 2 x 6 Super Barricade chaff launchers

1975250_609748615777343_1675865511_n.jpg

According to BD Defence site, modification of BN ex-Hamilton Class USCG cutters started already. Who can confirm this? My opinion was that they would not spend money to arm these boats into patrol frigates.....

Systems to be changed and installed include Radar, Sonar, ECM, Electronic warfare systems & misc. armament.

* 8 x C-802A Sarface to Sarface Missile;
* 1 x 8 FM-90N or 1 x 24 FL-3000 Sarface to Air Missile
* 1 x Otobreda 76 mm main gun, forward;
* 2 x Type 730B 6-barrel 30 mm CIWS;
* 2 x 3 324 mm B-515 tubes - Whitehead A244S; torpedo
* 2 x 6 Super Barricade chaff launchers

1975250_609748615777343_1675865511_n.jpg
source ?

Source is old - but there were recent additions to that news as well,

https://www.facebook.com/BD.Defence...9878031431073/609748615777343/?type=3&theater

I dont think the vessel will be modernized any time soon, their roles are basically the same as the salisbury class frigate that we recently retired. It is mostly being used for training, visiting foreign ports, humanitarian assistance,etc. In other words, these 2 vessels free up the duties of our more combat capable vessels. This purchase seems to be more of a stop-gap, rather than an actual combat ship

I dont think the vessel will be modernized any time soon, their roles are basically the same as the salisbury class frigate that we recently retired. It is mostly being used for training, visiting foreign ports, humanitarian assistance,etc. In other words, these 2 vessels free up the duties of our more combat capable vessels. This purchase seems to be more of a stop-gap, rather than an actual combat ship

That's what I always thought. But that post in that linked Facebook account got me thinking. You can't put modern weapons on a seventies hull and why would you....

There was also another photo I saw about refurbs going on board the Hamilton classes but I can't find it any more. They were definitely welding and repainting on board one of the ships.

That's what I always thought. But that post in that linked Facebook account got me thinking. You can't put modern weapons on a seventies hull and why would you....

There was also another photo I saw about refurbs going on board the Hamilton classes but I can't find it any more. They were definitely welding and repainting on board one of the ships.

Yeah a lot of rumors about their armament was floating about, especially since one of them fired harpoon missiles before. Even i believed it for a while.
I guess you can put a modern weapons systems on the hull, but it would be rather expensive and a lot of modifications will be needed. Plus, as you mentioned, why would you do it in the first place.
Plus, none of the hamilitaon class cutters sold to the Philippines and Nigeria, were fitted with weapons. Something tells me uncle sam instructed us not to.

Can someone explain this?
Why the superstructure on the Chinese type 056 has edges curved out and the Bangladeshi version doesn't have these.
ImageUploadedByDefence.pk1483107779.442883.jpg
ImageUploadedByDefence.pk1483107799.441381.jpg

Can someone explain this?
Why the superstructure on the Chinese type 056 has edges curved out and the Bangladeshi version doesn't have these.View attachment 364503View attachment 364504

My two cents.

Superstructure design and features can vary due to Navy requirements. The main stealth feature is the relatively low superstructure, flat slab sided feature and low masts. Curved out edges add a bit of stealth but it is not significant.

In addition to a different superstructure design, the Bangladeshi examples are a bit smaller (lower endurance and smaller patrol area) and as a result lower in displacement (1300 tons) compared to about standard 1500 tons of the 056 class. That is why Chinese yard code name for BNS Shadhinota class is "C13B".

C=Corvette
13= 1300 ton displacement
B=Bangladesh

There is a larger but lightly armed OPV variant of the 056 for Nigeria called "P18N" (NNS Centenary class). The displacement is larger because Nigeria's coastal patrol area may be a bit larger (mostly oil rig protection like ours) and they want longer endurance (different naval doctrine from Bangladesh).

P=Patrol vessel
18=1800 tons displacement
N=Nigeria

Most of the following images are from the ship's visit to the primary home of the South African Navy in Simonstown (Cape Town, South Africa)

p18n-f91-2.jpg
IMG_2044A_zpsed87eac7.jpg
IMG_2081D_zps74d1d2bf.jpg
IMG_2071C_zpse294abf4.jpg
IMG_2004BBB_zpsbd2e9d5a.jpg
IMG_2011C4_zpsbc304ab0.jpg

Last edited:
My two cents.

Superstructure design and features can vary due to Navy requirements. The main stealth feature is the relatively low superstructure, flat slab sided feature and low masts. Curved out edges add a bit of stealth but it is not significant.

In addition to a different superstructure design, the Bangladeshi examples are a bit smaller (lower endurance and smaller patrol area) and as a result lower in displacement (1300 tons) compared to about standard 1500 tons of the 056 class. That is why Chinese yard code name for BNS Shadhinota class is "C13B".

C=Corvette
13= 1300 ton displacement
B=Bangladesh

There is a larger but lightly armed OPV variant of the 056 for Nigeria called "P18N" (NNS Centenary class). The displacement is larger because Nigeria's coastal patrol area may be a bit larger (mostly oil rig protection like ours) and they want longer endurance (different naval doctrine from Bangladesh).

P=Patrol vessel
18=1800 tons displacement
N=Nigeria

Most of the following images are from the ship's visit to the primary home of the South African Navy in Simonstown (Cape Town, South Africa)

p18n-f91-2.jpg
IMG_2044A_zpsed87eac7.jpg
IMG_2081D_zps74d1d2bf.jpg
IMG_2071C_zpse294abf4.jpg
IMG_2004BBB_zpsbd2e9d5a.jpg
IMG_2011C4_zpsbc304ab0.jpg
Would like to add points to this like radar absorbent paint etc which may be applied in one vessel and not in other... overall their stealth characteristics should be similar.

Question for you guys. What is the role of the 2 Hamilton class vessels we received from the US?

Back
Top Bottom