What's new

Bangladesh Navy

I really hope they have VLS. But may be we should build them here.

If Myanmar can build them, so can we. If Stealth destroyers can be built South of Kolkata, certainly we can build a few 3000 ton frigates. Our maritime build traditions go as far back if not more.

Ship hulls and superstructures up to 7000 tons displacement can be (and has been) built. Weapons and naval radar integration is an issue.

The other larger issue is political and diplomatic will. Which is the main issue.

Ship hulls and superstructures up to 7000 tons displacement can be (and has been) built. Weapons and naval radar integration is an issue.

The other larger issue is political and diplomatic will. Which is the main issue.

In many way the Padma Class project was game changer for BN.

For instance it opened our strategists eyes to the fact that indigenous building is cost effective & economical. It costed BN less than half the price it would have cost them if imported off the shelf.

This has driven BN to push ahead with the indigenous building of Durjoy class LPC despite some confusion & unwillingness among the political establishment. And cemented the path of future in house construction of warships in BD. I strongly believe BN will go on with the Shadhinota class construction project in KSY & thus gather know how for our future Frigate project.

Edit : Sorry, it's Durjoy class not Nirvoy.

Last edited:
Okay okay,

Can someone just please summarize all these classes, according to what ships they are? I get confused with the bangla name.

Okay okay,

Can someone just please summarize all these classes, according to what ships they are? I get confused with the bangla name.

Here they are linked to Wiki. These are the newest 'standardized' classes of Naval vessels to be built locally and to replace the various different classes in existence prior.

Maybe someone can post an image of the 'Nirbhoy' class.
  1. Padma class is the newest OPV made locally. 350 ton class I believe. Guns and Manpads for defense. 25 planned - 5 in service

bns+padmaa.jpg

2. Durjoy-class is the newest patrol craft being made locally, 650 ton class, more sophisticated, ASW, Missile equipped. 8 planned, two in service.
BNS_Durjoy.jpg

3. Shadhinota class is the new 1300 ton class of missile corvette (C13B, China 056 class variant), planned to be built locally. Two in service, two being built in China. Two more (at least) planned locally. Very small littoral corvette package, but potent and sophisticated. Has stealth features.
BNS_Shadhinota_F111_corvette_Bangladesh_Navy.jpg

Here they are linked to Wiki. These are the newest 'standardized' classes of Naval vessels to be built locally and to replace the various different classes in existence prior.

Maybe someone can post an image of the 'Nirbhoy' class.
  1. Padma class is the newest OPV made locally. 350 ton class I believe. Guns and Manpads for defense. 25 planned - 5 in service

bns+padmaa.jpg

2. Durjoy-class is the newest patrol craft being made locally, 650 ton class, more sophisticated, ASW, Missile equipped. 8 planned, two in service.
BNS_Durjoy.jpg

3. Shadhinota class is the new 1300 ton class of missile corvette (C13B, China 056 class variant), planned to be built locally. Two in service, two being built in China. Two more (at least) planned locally. Very small littoral corvette package, but potent and sophisticated. Has stealth features.
BNS_Shadhinota_F111_corvette_Bangladesh_Navy.jpg

Great, thanks for the summary! I like the quick progress to Shadhinota class, which will possess stealth features.

However, any plans to produce missile boats or submarine chasers? They are small and should be easy.

Great, thanks for the summary! I like the quick progress to Shadhinota class, which will possess stealth features.

However, any plans to produce missile boats or submarine chasers? They are small and should be easy.

I'd say that the decades old OSA class boats (of which we have a few) are in this category.

According to PLA Navy, the 'Durjoy' class is supposed to be a replacement and so is the Pakistan Navy 'Azmat Class' (see below). It has a CIWS close-in defence system (Chinese copy of AK-630).

Pakistan's%2BSecond%2BAzmat%2Bclass%2BFast%2Battack%2Bcraft%2Bvessel%2B%2Bnears%2Bcompletion%2B3.jpg

Even more potent is the PLA Navy Type 22 'Houbei class' Missile Catamaran powered by waterjets. Don't know if these have ASW capability. They also have AK-630 (730?) CIWS.

2yug5n9.jpg
1102192112ef9b8b2dd976ff1b.jpg
Type+022+(4).jpg

BN was supposed to retire and replace older fast attack platforms (OSA class and Submarine chasers) before 2010. But later BN decided to postpone the program & save up the money for Bigger platforms.

BN will directly replace the various type of submarine chasers with ASW version of the Durjoy Class.

Osa class FAC(M)'s had undergone a overhaul & midlife upgrade to stay in the service post 2020

I suspect the much speculated 25 number of small IPV & patrol boats possibly includes FAC (M) 's too.

@Bilal9 @bd_4_ever

The moot question is the NOC from Delhi. That is how the Turkish-S Korean sub project was scrapped. The Ming class doesn't bother IN.

The moot question is the NOC from Delhi. That is how the Turkish-S Korean sub project was scrapped. The Ming class doesn't bother IN.

So you're saying that rushing the Indian Defence Minister to Bangladesh post haste for talks is just drama? :-)

BN was supposed to retire and replace older fast attack platforms (OSA class and Submarine chasers) before 2010. But later BN decided to postpone the program & save up the money for Bigger platforms.

BN will directly replace the various type of submarine chasers with ASW version of the Durjoy Class.

Osa class FAC(M)'s had undergone a overhaul & midlife upgrade to stay in the service post 2020

I suspect the much speculated 25 number of small IPV & patrol boats possibly includes FAC (M) 's too.

@Bilal9 @bd_4_ever

Agreed on all points.

So you're saying that rushing the Indian Defence Minister to Bangladesh post haste for talks is just drama? :-)

No. He means having Chinese submarine presence in BoB is not at all an issue for India (India-China bhai bhai) and that their Ambassador's interview was just fun talk.

Agreed on all points.
These two subs aren't an issue with IN. But then when BN learns sub warfare there will be pressure to acquire top class to match IN. But most worrying to India has been China's recent aggressive attitude. They are giving us funds even without our asking. poverty ridden India can't match even by 10%.

These two subs aren't an issue with IN. But then when BN learns sub warfare there will be pressure to acquire top class to match IN. But most worrying to India has been China's recent aggressive attitude. They are giving us funds even without our asking. poverty ridden India can't match even by 10%.

Indias sphere of influence in BD is limited to BAL and then by logic political and internal security issues.

Military and strategic alignment to be china centric has cross Party political support and is in concert with established civilian military protocol to allow military to take a lead.

India does not have any veto in BD defence purchases... they seek to influence matter via BAL but the hand is very weak.

The possible turkey Korean deal fell through not directly because of India. The issue was Germany and US both of whom we're sceptical regarding BD acquiring any potent military hardware and wielded power as technology provider to turkey and Korea.
BD backed out because the supply line was full of issues. We went with china because ultimately they are independent, a proven partner, gives us great discounts and off course because we are strategically aligned.

Back
Top Bottom