What's new

Bangladesh Navy

4th step : Stealth Heavy Frigate w/ToT (most probably 3000~3500 ton class, reduced size 054x). By that time electronics will have shrunk so much that the masts will have changed shape quite a bit.....

5f8853dagvb1avs6s3ey6&690

a size comparison between the 056 class (C13B) light corvette and the 054 class frigate.

78cf74ea.jpg

4th step : Stealth Heavy Frigate w/ToT (most probably 3000~3500 ton class, reduced size 054x). By that time electronics will have shrunk so much that the masts will have changed shape quite a bit.....

5f8853dagvb1avs6s3ey6&690

Heard about that frigate which was evaluated by BN, it still bore a project name rather than an official designation... Is it really ready for export?

Heard about that frigate which was evaluated by BN, it still bore a project name rather than an official designation... Is it really ready for export?

Well the 054A+ Jiangkai II shown above was just an improved 054A frigate (3500~4000 tons). What you see above is a future version with modernized phased array versions of air search, surface gun control, and navigational radars and featuring improved stealth. These will cost in the range of USD 350 Million or three for a Billion (as offered to Thailand in 2013). China lost out to Korea on that bid.

The numbered version that you may be talking about is the heavy corvette C28A (3000 tons) as supplied to the Algerian Navy. The Algerians got three so far (2016) and have options to get three more. This (although named a heavy corvette) is larger than a lot of frigates, and if inducted, would be even larger than the Samudra Joy class.

There was lots of talk in Bangladesh Navy circles about getting that one as a stopgap measure between now and the 054A+.

Images of the third Algerian Navy Corvette C28A 'Ezzadjer'

922.jpg
15110105405595390.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C28A_Class_Corvette

Last edited:
Bangladesh buys Coast Guard ship and give it to Navy! Then buys Navy ship, unarm it and give it to Coast Guard! Why? I am confused!

Hope Govt buys some decent ship for Navy. BTW, I like German MEKO A-200 design. Anyway, I hope for the best...

Those cutters were free. Your argument is invalid.

Well - almost free. We still had to pay for 'auxiliary' expenses. But yeah - good bargain for a training ship.

The two Hamilton class USCG cutters are excellent platforms for training cadets in the Bangladesh Navy. They feature gas turbine power and are relatively fast for ships in the Navy.

The four Minerva class Italian corvettes were de-armed because their role is now OPV - fisheries patrol and anti-piracy mostly. I don't think it makes sense putting twenty first century arms on a twentieth century vessel.

Our Public and private yards are fully capable of building any naval vessel of up to seven thousand tons - so those builds are slated for the future (Heavy corvettes and frigates).

If a nation south and east of us can build stealth frigates then we can as well. Our maritime ship-building tradition goes way back compared to the rest of South Asia.

Last edited:
Well the 054A+ Jiangkai II shown above was just an improved 054A frigate (3500~4000DWT). What you see above is a future version with modernized phased array versions of air search, surface gun control, and navigational radars and featuring improved stealth. These will cost in the range of USD 350 Million or three for a Billion (as offered to Thailand in 2013). China lost out to Korea on that bid.

The numbered version that you may be talking about is the heavy corvette C28A (3000 DWT) as supplied to the Algerian Navy. The Algerians got three so far (2016) and have options to get three more. This (although named a heavy corvette) is larger than a lot of frigates, and if inducted, would be even larger than the Samudra Joy class.

There was lots of talk in Bangladesh Navy circles about getting that one as a stopgap measure between now and the 054A+.

Images of the third Algerian Navy Corvette C28A 'Ezzadjer'

922.jpg
15110105405595390.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C28A_Class_Corvette

I was actually referring to the "High Performance Frigate" that was displayed in the IDEX 2013. Perhaps, an export variant of Type 054A with a smaller displacement.
http://www.navyrecognition.com/inde...e-lhd-and-submarine-designs-at-idex-2013.html

I'm not sure if there is any official designation to the Frigate yet... The specs look just about what we need, though nothing concrete about its ASW capabilities. However, this article gives a bit of insight on the possibilities of inserting ASW capabilities on customer demand...

I don't know how it will be (or is) faring in the race against the Incheon class...

Last edited:
I was actually referring to the "High Performance Frigate" that was displayed in the IDEX 2013. Perhaps, an export variant of Type 054 with a smaller displacement.
http://www.navyrecognition.com/inde...e-lhd-and-submarine-designs-at-idex-2013.html

I'm not sure if there is any official designation to the Frigate yet... The specs look just about what we need, though nothing concrete about its ASW capabilities. However, this article gives a bit of insight on the possibilities of inserting ASW capabilities on customer demand...

I don't know how it will be (or is) faring in the race against the Incheon class...

Thanks for the link.

I think Incheon class is too expensive and putting western radars (or even recent vintage Chinese radars) on a Chinese frigate is great for keeping the Navy capable. The BN purchase trend so far looks that way.

I was actually referring to the "High Performance Frigate" that was displayed in the IDEX 2013. Perhaps, an export variant of Type 054 with a smaller displacement.

That is a similar design to the larger Freedom class littoral combat platform proposed by Lockheed Martin to the USN. A bit different, but largely the same...

yquPmln.jpg

Thanks for the link.

I think Incheon class is too expensive and putting western radars (or even recent vintage Chinese radars) on a Chinese frigate is great for keeping the Navy capable. The BN purchase trend so far looks that way.

I guess maintenance and logistics are also an issue... For instance, the Incheon class comes with CODOG propulsion and so do the Hamilton class cutters... While the propulsion of High-Performance Frigate would be most likely CODAD, similar to the BNS Bangabandhu... I'm not sure which one the BN is comfortable to deal with...

Those cutters were free. Your argument is invalid.

Bangladesh buys Coast Guard ship and give it to Navy! Then buys Navy ship, unarm it and give it to Coast Guard! Why? I am confused!

Hope Govt buys some decent ship for Navy. BTW, I like German MEKO A-200 design. Anyway, I hope for the best...

I think what OrdinaryGenius meant was why Minerva Class, which suits better for the navy, was purchased for Coast Guard. Good question. I would have personally liked to see them go to the navy, armed to the teeth.

But idk, do we have like a vision 20XX for Coast guard as well?

do we have like a vision 20XX for Coast guard as well?

I don't know if the much ridiculed Forces Goal 2030 includes goals for Bangladesh Coast guard. Maybe not.

On the submarine front though - Forces Goal 2030 mentions buying 'real' subs post Ming class acquisitions.

Maybe the S26 class - export version of the 039G Yuan class which Thailand is buying.

csicatshiptech_4.jpg
csicatshiptech_2.jpg
csicatshiptech_5.jpg
csicatshiptech_6.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom