What's new

Bangladesh Navy to acquire German designed submarines

Raquib

Reaction score
Bangladesh Navy to acquire German designed submarines

COVER STORY

The Bangladesh Navy first announced its plans to acquire submarines in 2004 with a program to press into service at least one submarine by 2012. It intends to create“3D navy” by equipping the navy with surface, sub-surface and air weapons systems.

Bangladesh Military Forces Blog

513dab5461ec9b2d229aee4124a12ced.jpg

Last edited:
guys, i'd like to hear your opinions, which submarine would you prefer for the Bangladesh Navy??

Bangladesh Navy to procure submarine, patrol aircraft

20 May 2006
Staff Correspondent, Dhaka

As per government decision to form a three-dimensional blue water navy through procuring surface, submarine and aircraft the Bangladesh Navy will procure four submarines and two maritime patrol aircraft (MPA's) to protect Bangladesh's maritime territory and resources at any cost.

The Bangladesh Navy will purchase a submarine and two maritime patrol aircraft (MPA) soon apart from other naval weapons systems to enhance the Navy's capabilities.

Sources say the government could have been alarmed by recent illegal gas and oil exploration activities carried out by Indian and Myanmar inside Bangladesh's sovereign maritime area. India started exploration on 18,000 sq km territory, while Myanmar carried out survey on a 17,000 sq km area.

Training for the submarine has already begun and Bangladeshi naval personnel have already been imparted with some necessary training and additional training will follow.

A single conventional diesel-electric powered submarine will be procured immediately soon. The submarines are designed for anti-submarine warfare (ASW), anti-surface warfare (ASuW) and are also capable of general reconnaissance, water mine laying and patrol missions.

Also two American made maritime patrol aircraft (MPA) will be procured by the Bangladesh Navy at a cost of 130 crore taka. A Singapore based company called King Air is supplying these aircraft. The MPA's feature a maximum cruising speed of of 315 kts, maximum range of 1,813 nautical miles, Four prop, twin Pratt & Whitney PT6A-60 engines, certified to land at its full 15,000-pound takeoff weight, 2,850-pound special mission payload, on-station endurance of seven hours, operational ceiling of 35,000 feet, takeoff length is 3,300 feet; landing distance of 2,692 feet under standard sea level conditions, drop and monitor sonobuoys, fully certified for grass and gravel field operations, special performance supplements for takeoff and landing operations above 10,000 feet MSL and ISA + 30o C outside air temperature, 360-degree search radar, long-range and tactical navigation, audio/interphone, maritime communications, HF communications, hand-held camera with data annotation, FLIR (Forward Looking Infrared), low-light TV, direction-finding systems, ESM system, data recording, observation window for visual search or photography and drop hatch for airdrops of survival/rescue equipment.

Sources said that the world considers MPA as the fastest and most reliable platform to monitor maritime territories. The operating cost of MPA's is also significantly lower than naval patrol ships.

Bangladesh has 44,000 square miles of maritime area. A navy ship takes three days and three nights to monitor such a huge area. Maritime Patrol Aircraft (MPA) can do this task in 2 to 3 hours, they mentioned.

Bangladesh Military Forces Blog: Bangladesh Navy to procure submarine, patrol aircraft

what about these procurements??

U-210mod seems to be the choice, very cost effective and uptodate with modern systems.

View attachment 6c117481ceac0f44037aca6d7ff983d8.jpg
View attachment 5b6deccb745c7a391e2b5cff799db4c2.jpg

HDW has presented a new submarine at SUBCON 2007, Type 210mod.

Design is (obviously) based on the Type 210, which is better known as the Norwegian Ula class.
Several subcomponents will be identical to or derived from Type 212A/214 hardware, others (as with Type 210) will come from the proven Type 209 line.

Some characteristics that have been laid out so far:

Dimensions: 56 m length, 1,000 tons submerged (slightly smaller than Type 210)
Crew: 15 men crew in two-shift, 21 men in three-shift operation; additional bunkspace reserved
Endurance: 30 days target
Automation: only in areas where crew numbers can be reduced by it
Construction: Single-hull, HY80 steel; small sail (as in 212A) for signature reduction
Propulsion: Dieselelectric; 2x improved MTU 12V 396 diesel (from 209?); Permasyn "silent" electric engine (from 212A)
Signature Reduction Features: X-Rudder configuration, Skew-Back propeller
Armament: 8x 533mm torpedo tubes (14 torpedoes); missile launch or mine capability installable on customer demand
Sail installations: optical periscope, telescoping communications mast, telescoping radar mast, two-man diver chamber (for SF insertion operations); additional space reserved
Sonar: see attached picture 5 (sensors)

i think the BN should embark upon buying submarines...that would make it stronger...

I heard we were actually buying subs from Pakistan initially and then procure 4 others by 2015.I hope they procure them soon.

I heard we were actually buying subs from Pakistan initially and then procure 4 others by 2015.I hope they procure them soon.

Hold your horse brother. I have serious doubt about this under Dalal hasina's rule. we all know about her extra love for a specific country. She wouldn't dissatisfy her master by procuring sub form pakistan. I wouldn't be surprise if our existing military cooperaton goes down the grave coming days including building ship and all. Frankly I am very spectical about all this.

Hold your horse brother. I have serious doubt about this under Dalal hasina's rule. we all know about her extra love for a specific country. She wouldn't dissatisfy her master by procuring sub form pakistan. I wouldn't be surprise if our existing military cooperaton goes down the grave coming days including building ship and all. Frankly I am very spectical about all this.

Actually Pakistan was giving the sub as a gift.They were retiring it from their service and then re-condition it and then give to Bangladesh Navy.

Well,Hasina's purchase for navy last time was a good one though:tup:,Ulsan class Frigate,one of the most sophisticated in the world.Unlike the Migs,it was straight out of shipyard in Korea.Lets see what she buys this time.

Only and only German subs look no where else and i would like to see some of augosta's tech into these retiring Pakistan's subs if its possible to some extend to give them some sort of better capabilities what do you think??

Back
Top Bottom