What's new

Bangladesh Navy detains 135 Indian fishermen

Most businesses in Kolkata are owned by Marathis/Marwaris/Gujaratis. WB people have forgotten to speak their own language unfortunately. Educated Kolkata Bengalis nowadays can't even write in Bengali.
Funnily enough, I once read in Bangla Quora (perhaps) that some of these people agreed on the statement that "those who don't perform 'kalee pujo' are not even Bangalis"! Back then it reminded me of that quote from Sharat Chandra's 'Srikant' novel: "ইস্কুলের মাঠে বাঙ্গালী ও মুসলমান ছাত্রদের ‘ফুটবল ম্যাচ্‌"। ...." [Tr: ".... Football match between Bengali and Muslim students on school grounds"]... Their minds are shaped by the luminaries for quite some time. Bankim is another discussion altogether.

Lot of these 'Bangalis' would rather be enslaved/owned the Marathi/Marwari/Gujjus than be slightly associated with any jaban/Mlechcha who somehow speaks Bangla as their mother tongue ;-)

I think the Journalists reported it wrong. We do have quite a large Coast Guard fleet for the country's size and Economic Zone area. Some Coast Guard ships are Frigate size (four in fleet). Then you have inshore and offshore Patrol vessels.

BANGLADESH-COAST-GUARD-1.jpg

1613312823.jpg

iu

But - if the Navy finds law breakers like poachers during their trainings, trials and patrols, it probably will arrest them without calling on the Coast Guard and wasting their time.

Padma Class Inshore Patrol Vessel (IPV) "Shadhin Bangla" docked in Bangladesh Coast Guard West Zone Headquarter in Mongla, Bagerhat. About eight built locally so far, out of a total of twenty five planned.

CGS_Shadhin_Bangla_2020.jpg
It was the navy. See the first photo.
BCG's AOR is still limited to coastal waters.

Funnily enough, I once read in Bangla Quora (perhaps) that some of these people agreed on the statement that "those who don't perform 'kalee pujo' are not even Bangalis"! Back then it reminded me of that quote from Sharat Chandra's 'Srikant' novel: "ইস্কুলের মাঠে বাঙ্গালী ও মুসলমান ছাত্রদের ‘ফুটবল ম্যাচ্‌"। ...." [Tr: ".... Football match between Bengali and Muslim students on school grounds"]... Their minds are shaped by the luminaries for quite some time. Bankim is another discussion altogether.

Lot of these 'Bangalis' would rather be enslaved/owned the Marathi/Marwari/Gujjus than be slightly associated with any jaban/Mlechcha who somehow speaks Bangla as their mother tongue ;-)

Let's get @Joe Shearer dada's kinder take on this topic. Bankim and Sharat Chandra does not speak for all Bengali Hindus I'm sure...especially today.

I always give people the benefit of the doubt before they prove that they are extremists.

I am sure if you push people hard enough they will become rather one-sided.

Of course times and people have changed too - we don't live in Sharat and Bankim's time anymore...

Hindu Muslim relations are solvable with time. Trade issues foisted by the govt. of India have to be solved before that though....

Here is an OP-ED written by a Kolkata Bengali gentleman,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kajal Chatterjee, Kolkata, India
Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:00 AM Last update on: Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:00 AM

In his letter "Indians honoured"( 23 April), Prof. M. Zahidul Haque has appropriately stated that selection of "Jana gana mana..." by the UNESCO as the world's best national anthem is not only an honour for Indians, but for all Bangla speakers of the globe.

Prof. Haque has also requested the Indian government to attach more importance to the expansion and learning of Bangla. But how can it be expected that New Delhi would pay heed to his request and act likewise when the Bengalis of West Bengal and the rest of India are themselves working overtime to shed off their Bangaliyana?

Actually Bengalis of India are victims of a supreme inferiority complex.

Thus it is seen that in all spheres of life, Bengalis are consciously discarding their cultural distinctiveness and imitating the styles of Hindi India and English West. This suicidal trend is being reflected in their dress and food habits, their culture and even vocabulary.

The obscenities of Hindi film music and the violence and bloodshed of Bollywood films have knocked out Rabindra Sangeet and the artistic excellence of Ray and found a permanent place in Bengali hearts. Bengalis have participated in a mad race for Hindi-ising and Anglicising its own community and are determined to forget all its Bengaliness.

It is well known that when a community loses its self-respect and becomes indifferent to its own language, culture and tradition, its doom is not far off. Just for this reason, Bengalis in India are heading for a catastrophe. If the Bengalis had really taken pride in their identity and culture, this day would not have arisen.

They choose not to raise their voices when announcements in Bengali are terminated in certain railway stations of West Bengal or when the Metro Railway of Kolkata is hijacked by the Hindi promoters. Bengalis are also shameless enough to mob a rising Bollywood star whilst forgetting the irreparable loss of a legend, Kanika Bandopadhyay, the same day.

Despite being termed the sweetest language of the earth by the UNESCO, Indian Bengalis feel ashamed to speak in Bangla. Unless the Bengalis regain their self-respect and learn to become united, the future of the community and their culture stand doomed in West Bengal.

However, the only consolation is that Bangla will not completely vanish from the face of the earth as it will remain alive and well in Bangladesh -- the country of proud, brave and honourable Bengalis.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is a telling sign of the times that the most-loved Bengali Rabindra-Sangeet singer now is Rizwana Chowdhury (Bonna) from Bangladesh.

And the new generation will carry on Bengali tradition and culture and keep it alive for Hindus and Muslims alike, after all we spilled quite a bit of blood for it....

The new generation in Bangladesh is even bringing back 50's Bengali songs...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom