Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh

Bangladesh exports watermelon for the first time to Malaysia​

Desk Report || risingbd.com​

Published: 18:20, 17 March 2023 Update: 19:38, 17 March 2023

Bangladesh exports watermelon for the first time to Malaysia

Photo: Mostafijur Rahman Nasim

Bangladesh's export sector has opened a new door, with the first shipment of watermelon from the country reaching Malaysia for the first time on Friday (March 17).

An air-conditioned container loaded with watermelons from Bangladesh was sent to Malaysia through Chattogram seaport.

Sattar International located in Halishahar of Chattogram exported a total of 13,000 kilogram of watermelon in the first shipment.
Abdul Kayum, owner of Sattar International said that there is a huge demand for Bangladeshi watermelon in Malaysia.

Taking into account the demand, for the first time the initiative was taken. For the past few days, watermelons were collected from farmers of Shibganj upazila in Bogura and to send those to Malaysia.

We would earn 4,000 USD from the first shipment, he added.

4000 USD / 13k kg = 0.31 USD / Kg

Last summer watermelon kg reached from 2 USD to 3 USD kg here, price for the final consumer in grocery stores.

FU0vazwWUAM7eCK.jpg

4000 USD / 13k kg = 0.31 USD / Kg

Last summer watermelon kg reached from 2 USD to 3 USD kg here, price for the final consumer in grocery stores.
Yes, $0.31 per kg is is the export price. Importers and groceries certainly sell above this price.

Recently BD is exporting this item to quite a few countries. Malaysia is the new addition.

Yes, $0.31 per kg is is the export price. Importers and groceries certainly sell above this price.

Recently BD is exporting this item to quite a few countries. Malaysia is the new addition.
That's too low we should charge at least $1/kg.

That's too low we should charge at least $1/kg.
It is a buyers’ market in the export destinations. However, things will change when our watermelons are sweet and tasty. Demands then increase and the prices go up.

BD may have to wait for a few more seasons with fingers crossed to reach a high price level. Like we did with garments, we should also persevere with fruits.

BD is exporting watermelons to other countries. Malaysia is the latest destination. I will send the list afterward.

It is a buyers’ market in the export destinations. However, things will change when our watermelons are sweet and tasty. Demands then increase and the prices go up.

BD may have to wait for a few more seasons with fingers crossed to reach a high price level. Like we did with garments, we should also persevere with fruits.

BD is exporting watermelons to other countries. Malaysia is the latest destination. I will send the list afterward.
No, sorry. It was a mistake that I thought BD is exporting watermelons to other countries.

I checked and found that Malaysia is the first country that received our export of watermelon.

Watermelon last summer prices here was something unusual, never was so high, and by the end of summer decreased again.

Since Ukraine war start food prices here are crazy going up and down like never before since Euro age.

Bangladesh has previously exported watermelon to Qatar and probably still does. I know cause i had them there and was surprised they were from BD.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom