What's new

Bangladesh Army

You're pushing for something that has no traditional precedent simply to look cool

One is a third gen, guided, top attack capable anti tank missile while the other is not? Alcotan is basically a bigger C90 which is also unguided

Also blast yield is irrelevant. What's more important is armor penetration

You know - no offense, but the problem with some of us armchair strategists is that, we never fought in an actual RPG situation with real RPG's (C90 or not).

So we talk about all sorts of stuff with no knowledge of practical boots on the ground real-world scenarios in countries like Bangladesh. it makes no sense for BA getting NLAWs that cost $30,000 a copy at this time.

I feel that in a Bangladesh 3rd world army situation, RPG type weapons like Alcotan (though unguided but can be aimed well) are an excellent cost effective solution to deploy en masse, the infantrymen do get pretty good with the aiming (just like the rebels in Syria have) and of course, the night vision aiming device supplied will certainly help in operations after dark.

Unguided RPG type rockets (vs. Guided ATGMs) are not automatically inferior, though they may cost way less. User competence is a huge factor. Both unguided RPG's and guided ATGMs have their applications and uses.

Top attack is also over-rated and Marketing hype in my opinion. Disabling tanks is the point - if you get your jollies by blowing up personnel to smithereens, that is something I don't agree with.

Dumb weapons like these (especially the ALCOTAN-BIV (M2) version ordered) which can use an armor penetrating and delayed fuse round to defeat ERA, are perfect for our scenario. I can assure you, our current and potential adversaries won't be using ATGM's that are worth $30,000 a copy either. Even if they did, the relative edge obtained will be marginal in a conflict. They know.

For all of us theorists - the test will be from the Ukraine conflict currently ongoing for some of the ATGM's adopted by BA.

Bangladesh Army has historically deployed a wide range of ATGM's (some best of breed) and Anti-tank rockets, it is in trial and testing mode to find the best solution. They have done this for each solution in rather small numbers, before deciding on a possible ToT manufacture solution. Most of these use SACLOS wire guidance.

- Kornet-E ($7000 or so a copy)
- Metis-M1 (Inducted in the early 90s, Bangladesh Army is one of the largest users of Metis-M1 globally)
- HJ-8/Baktar Shikan (3 KM range, supplied from Pakistan in periodic batches over the years)
- PF98 rockets (fitted with the fire control system and night-vision scope)

Further - the army's Ordnance Factory assembles and supplies HJ-73 ATGM's as well, which have been used locally since 1985. These are well proven with HEAT rounds usable to defeat ERA.

Last edited:

Bangladesh army receives more M1224 MaxxPro MRAP vehicles from US​

Defense News February 2022 Global Security army industryPOSTED ON WEDNESDAY, 16 FEBRUARY 2022 15:00
facebook sharing button

twitter sharing button

pinterest sharing button

linkedin sharing button

sharethis sharing button

The army of Bangladesh has received 15 M1224 MaxxPro MRAP vehicles from the U.S. Excess Defense Article scheme. There are split in three different variants: 14 ambulances, 4 APCs (intended for the Air Force) and 1 recovery vehicle.

They complement the 90 units already operated by this army. Another 66 MaxxPros are expected in the future. All these vehicles are intended for UN missions and demining operations.

Follow Army Recognition on Google News at this link

Army Recognition Global Defense and Security news

The Bangladeshi army has received 15 additional Navistar M1224 MaxxPro MRAP vehicles from the US for deployment in UN missions and demining activities, as it appears from the bracket mounted on the front-row vehicles (Picture source: The Bangladesh Defence Analyst)

According to a tweet from Defense Technology of Bangladesh dated 6 June 2021, the Bangladesh Army contingent operating in the framework of the UN peacekeeping mission headquartered in Gao, Mali, received 31 MaxxPro MRAP vehicles from the USA in May 2021.

The Bangladeshi Army already received 50 MRAP vehicles in 2019 to support its peacekeepers in Mali. The remaining 19 MRAPs and support equipment departed in July 2021 for Gao as well.

The International M1224 MaxxPro MRAP (Mine Resistant Ambush Protected) vehicle is an armored fighting vehicle designed by American company Navistar International's subsidiary Navistar Defense along with the Israeli Plasan Sasa, who designed and manufactures the vehicle's armor.

The vehicle was designed to take part in the US Military's Mine Resistant Ambush Protected vehicle program, led by the US Marine Corps, as well as a similar US Army-led Medium Mine Protected Vehicle program.

MRAPs are categorized as category 1 or category 2, depending on usage and passenger compartment space, and Navistar produces the MaxxPro in both sizes, although the vast majority of those sold have been category 1 MRAPs. The MaxxPro Plus model comes with dual rear wheels for increased payloads, such as an ambulance or EFP-protected variant.

The latest model produced is the MaxxPro Dash, which is a smaller and lighter category 1 model. Both the Plus and Dash models use the MaxxForce 10 engine with 375 hp, in place of the DT 530 with 330 hp, used in the original base model produced.

Navistar MaxxPro M1224 MRAP vehicle (Picture source: Twitter account of Defense Technology of Bangladesh)

You're pushing for something that has no traditional precedent simply to look cool

One is a third gen, guided, top attack capable anti tank missile while the other is not? Alcotan is basically a bigger C90 which is also unguided

Also blast yield is irrelevant. What's more important is armor penetration
Yep agreed but But Anti tank rounds aren’t APFSDS based.

Bangladesh army receives more M1224 MaxxPro MRAP vehicles from US​

Defense News February 2022 Global Security army industryPOSTED ON WEDNESDAY, 16 FEBRUARY 2022 15:00
facebook sharing button

twitter sharing button

pinterest sharing button

linkedin sharing button

sharethis sharing button

The army of Bangladesh has received 15 M1224 MaxxPro MRAP vehicles from the U.S. Excess Defense Article scheme. There are split in three different variants: 14 ambulances, 4 APCs (intended for the Air Force) and 1 recovery vehicle.

They complement the 90 units already operated by this army. Another 66 MaxxPros are expected in the future. All these vehicles are intended for UN missions and demining operations.

Follow Army Recognition on Google News at this link

The Bangladeshi army has received 15 additional Navistar M1224 MaxxPro MRAP vehicles from the US for deployment in UN missions and demining activities, as it appears from the bracket mounted on the front-row vehicles (Picture source: The Bangladesh Defence Analyst)

According to a tweet from Defense Technology of Bangladesh dated 6 June 2021, the Bangladesh Army contingent operating in the framework of the UN peacekeeping mission headquartered in Gao, Mali, received 31 MaxxPro MRAP vehicles from the USA in May 2021.

The Bangladeshi Army already received 50 MRAP vehicles in 2019 to support its peacekeepers in Mali. The remaining 19 MRAPs and support equipment departed in July 2021 for Gao as well.

The International M1224 MaxxPro MRAP (Mine Resistant Ambush Protected) vehicle is an armored fighting vehicle designed by American company Navistar International's subsidiary Navistar Defense along with the Israeli Plasan Sasa, who designed and manufactures the vehicle's armor.

The vehicle was designed to take part in the US Military's Mine Resistant Ambush Protected vehicle program, led by the US Marine Corps, as well as a similar US Army-led Medium Mine Protected Vehicle program.

MRAPs are categorized as category 1 or category 2, depending on usage and passenger compartment space, and Navistar produces the MaxxPro in both sizes, although the vast majority of those sold have been category 1 MRAPs. The MaxxPro Plus model comes with dual rear wheels for increased payloads, such as an ambulance or EFP-protected variant.

The latest model produced is the MaxxPro Dash, which is a smaller and lighter category 1 model. Both the Plus and Dash models use the MaxxForce 10 engine with 375 hp, in place of the DT 530 with 330 hp, used in the original base model produced.

Navistar MaxxPro M1224 MRAP vehicle (Picture source: Twitter account of Defense Technology of Bangladesh)

To he honest these are useless in BD terrain.
Even in Pakistan though alot of members here cry bout lack of MRAPS.

But according to my brother who spent 3 years in FATA, these vehicles are useless offroad. Prone to getting stuck.
Now imagine these in a country like BD. Useless unless you guys intent to drive em on roads.

To he honest these are useless in BD terrain.
Even in Pakistan though alot of members here cry bout lack of MRAPS.

But according to my brother who spent 3 years in FATA, these vehicles are useless offroad. Prone to getting stuck.
Now imagine these in a country like BD. Useless unless you guys intent to drive em on roads.
these are for UN mission in Congo , West Africa etc where terrain should be able to support MRAPS

Does anyone know what the hell happened to those VT-5s allegedly purchased by the army years ago?

Still no photos of their presence anywhere near Bangladeshi soil. Defseca, the sort of folks that go as crazy as a 13 yo Justine Bieber fan every time the army inducts a new cargo trucks, have not reported anything on the matter yet

I wonder why

Does anyone know what the hell happened to those VT-5s allegedly purchased by the army years ago?

Still no photos of their presence anywhere near Bangladeshi soil. Defseca, the sort of folks that go as crazy as a 13 yo Justine Bieber fan every time the army inducts a new cargo trucks, have not reported anything on the matter yet

I wonder why

VT5 first batch arrived in late March.

I wonder why
VT5 first batch arrived in late March.

Back
Top Bottom