What's new

Bangladesh Air Force

That being said,

lifecycle cost maybe cheaper, but the unit cost of gripen NGs are still expensive. Brazil bought 36 of them at $160 mil a piece (the figure includes 25 years of maintenance cost (?) and weaponry) BD doesn't have that sort of cash lying around, unless the swede's offer us a loan.

However,for this price($5.8B), we could get easily 24-28 SU-35's (+weapons+ToT) if we really wanted to.
Just a minor moderation. Brazilian Gripen is $110m plus cost because Brazilian Gripen will be manufactured/assembled in Brazil. That's costly ToT.
If Bangladesh buy Gripen then that will be off the shelf and fly-way condition. It will be $85m per Gripen or less than $85m.

After having 31+ squadrons of fighter jet, Indian always worried that Bangladesh may induct an advanced fighter jet. Indian made Tejas took 30 years to take off from runway. 80%+ hardware and components of Tejas are made by or originated in Western Countries and Israel.

Gripen is inducted by NATO countries and other countries. Gripen doesn't need brochure.
I hate to say this but truth tells all. Gripen is the most advanced 4.5 fighter jet currently available in market in the following categories.

Advanced Electronics, Information Management, Radar, Networks, Sensor, EW, Software, Engine and Armamanent.

Source http://www.leonardocompany.com/en/-/raven-1
http://www.mbda-systems.com/product/meteor/

The Raven ES-05 radar for the Gripen E is a wide field of regard system optimised for multi-role/swing role operations. The system features a comprehensive mode suite for both A/A and A/G including interleaved operation, and has high availability and reliability. The Gripen E avionics also integrate the Skyward-G IRST, providing full operational search and track functionality with a stealth capability, and the Identification Friend-or-Foe (IFF) delivering the full range of IFF capabilities and IFF data fusion with target data from other aircraft sensors.

If western electronics isn't that advanced then India wouldn't buy Rafale. You guys buy Rafale and lecture us to buy junk yard MiG. We know that f%$king politics dude!
Typhoon is the way to go instead of sukuis. J-10 should replace F-7.
We can crrtainly maintain a sqdn of typhoon. Forget gripen. Nobody in bd even gave a thought of it. Why are you wasting your time which has no possibility in bd despite being a good fighter.

Err BD does for 16 Gripen E that will not need to be paid for immediately. If a contract is signed now do not expect first deliveries till 2021. BD will pay around 2 billion US dollars over 5 years. This is just 400 million dollars a year for a country that found 1 billion US dollars a year from 2014 to build Padma Bridge.

BD has a 273 billion US dollar economy growing at more than 7% a year.

"Just" 400 million is still quite a lot. We would be paying just over 1% of our *foreign reserve* for 5 years. I don't think Finance ministry will approve. And like I said, we could procure 12 Su-35s for the same price.

Last edited:
"Just" 400 million is still quite a lot. We would be paying just over 1% of our for 5 years. I don't think Finance ministry will approve. And like I said, we could procure 12 Su-35s for the same price.
We have 56 billion dollar budget this year. Govt can find money if it wants. But they are afraid of their neighbor as well as afraid of a strong military.

We can crrtainly maintain a sqdn of typhoon. Forget gripen. Nobody in bd even gave a thought of it. Why are you wasting your time which has no possibility in bd despite being a good fighter.

Typhoon is overkill and WAY TOO EXPENSIVE.

BD economy in horrible shape despite fudged "growth rates". Doubt we can buy anything other than a few "MiG-35s"

BD economy in horrible shape despite fudged "growth rates". Doubt we can buy anything other than a few "MiG-35s"

Yeah, BD is fooling IMF, World Bank and ADB.:woot:

Typhoon is too expensive as it will cost twice that of Gripen to buy and operate.
SU-30 is required for it's massive range and payload.

After having 31+ squadrons of fighter jet, Indian always worried that Bangladesh may induct an advanced fighter jet. Indian made Tejas took 30 years to take off from runway. 80%+ hardware and components of Tejas are made by or originated in Western Countries and Israel.

Gripen is inducted by NATO countries and other countries. Gripen doesn't need brochure.
I hate to say this but truth tells all. Gripen is the most advanced 4.5 fighter jet currently available in market in the following categories.

Advanced Electronics, Information Management, Radar, Networks, Sensor, EW, Software, Engine and Armamanent.

Source http://www.leonardocompany.com/en/-/raven-1
http://www.mbda-systems.com/product/meteor/

The Raven ES-05 radar for the Gripen E is a wide field of regard system optimised for multi-role/swing role operations. The system features a comprehensive mode suite for both A/A and A/G including interleaved operation, and has high availability and reliability. The Gripen E avionics also integrate the Skyward-G IRST, providing full operational search and track functionality with a stealth capability, and the Identification Friend-or-Foe (IFF) delivering the full range of IFF capabilities and IFF data fusion with target data from other aircraft sensors.

If western electronics isn't that advanced then India wouldn't buy Rafale. You guys buy Rafale and lecture us to buy junk yard MiG. We know that f%$king politics dude!
Gripen E is in works since around 2006.
And that is by a company that has been making fighter aircrafts for decades.
You'll see FOC only around 2025.
It has only flown one prototype by last year.

If you're yet to make even one aircraft component, it's best to avoid being emotional about other's programmes that started from scratch with no support structure. (And took 11-12 years from final design to first flight.)

And good job linking me brochures to disprove my point that some companies are best at making brochures. Yeah, Meteor and Raven is great, but you'll see the variation from Gripen's brochure numbers and find that their scenario for those numbers isn't your requirement, when you trial them.
Maybe those variations won't be serious. All I asked was to do the trials yourself.

Tejas is indeed based on Western philosophy than Russian. So? I didn't ask you to buy Russian/Chinese.
But since you brought it up, let me tell you, the only way BAF will buy fighters is through lines of credit, and there are three countries that'll give that to you.
Sweden isn't one of them.

Last edited:
"Just" 400 million is still quite a lot. We would be paying just over 1% of our for 5 years. I don't think Finance ministry will approve. And like I said, we could procure 12 Su-35s for the same price.

Gripen E is required as BD needs a Western supplier as per Rohingya issue. Cannot just depend on Russia and China.
400 million US dollar is around 1% of BD budget this year but will be much less by 2022 when the final payment is made.

@KapitaanAli : BD has no need for line of credit for 16 Gripen E. It can pay the full cost by the time the last planes land in BD. Gripen E is good enough to f*uck the MAF badly.

We have 56 billion dollar budget this year. Govt can find money if it wants. But they are afraid of their neighbor as well as afraid of a strong military.

Gripen E is required as BD needs a Western supplier as per Rohingya issue. Cannot just depend on Russia and China.
400 million US dollar is around 1% of BD budget this year but will be much less by 2022 when the final payment is made

We may have a $56B budget this year, but our foreign reserve is just $33B. that maybe further reduced due to increased imports and lower remittance being sent from abroad.

EDIT: @UKBengali our last major defense procurement of $1Billion was due to a loan by russia Do you really think we can procure $2B fighter with our own money? Our foreign reserves are simply not large enough to justfy these kind of procurements. currently maximum amount we may spendfor procurement is around $1B

Last edited:
We may have a $56B budget this year, but our foreign reserve is just $33B. that maybe further reduced due to increased imports and lower remittance being sent from abroad.

EDIT: @UKBengali our last major defense procurement of $1Billion was due to a loan by russia Do you really think we can procure $2B fighter with our own money? Our foreign reserves are simply not large enough to justfy these kind of procurements. currently maximum amount we may spendfor procurement is around $1B

Dude, you are not looking at how the BD economy is progressing.The economy is now 276 billion US dollars with growth exceeding 7% a year and is on an upward trajectory.

Like I say BD found 4 billion US dollars out of it's own money between 2014-2018 to build Padma Bridge and so can find 2 billion US dollars between 2018-2022 to purchase 16 Gripen E. These fighters are critical for BAF since the Rohingya crisis has exposed BD has no friends at all it can count on, apart from far away Turkey that is not fully developed enough yet to supply all of BD's weapons imports.

I simply cannot state how important a squadron of 16 Gripen E(with 1-2 AWACs) is for the national security of BD. These planes are far far more needed than either Russian Su-30SMEs or Chinese J-10Cs as both those countries supported the Barman savages over the Rohingyas.

Like @Avicenna has stated, BD has a good reputation in the Western world and BD need only hire some good lobbyists in Washington and there is a good chance that the US will clear the engine transfer to allow Sweden to sell Gripens to BD.

Last edited:
those of us who actually live in Bangladesh and know the economy know that this is a lot of trash about 7% growth. The business environment is in a severe downturn. Bangladeshi figures for "GDP" are trash, madeup numbers. IMF and WB are not the police that they will come and "catch you".

Try to at least act mature instead of making snide remarks.

Probably talking to a teen with raging hormones so worthless to respond.

Nobody in BD thinks BAF will be gettin Typhoons and Gripens and what-not. These are childhood wet dreams of some child in his cot living in the UK.

Dude, you are not looking at how the BD economy is progressing.The economy is now 276 billion US dollars with growth exceeding 7% a year and is on an upward trajectory.

Like I say BD found 4 billion US dollars out of it's own money between 2014-2018 to build Padma Bridge and so can find 2 billion US dollars between 2018-2022 to purchase 16 Gripen E. These fighters are critical for BAF since the Rohingya crisis has exposed BD has no friends at all it can count on, apart from far away Turkey that is not fully developed enough yet to supply all of BD's weapons imports.

I simply cannot state how important a squadron of 16 Gripen E(with 1-2 AWACs) is for the national security of BD. These planes are far far more needed than either Russian Su-30SMEs or Chinese J-10Cs as both those countries supported the Barman savages over the Rohingyas.

Like @Avicenna has stated, BD has a good reputation in the Western world and BD need only hire some good lobbysists in Washington and there is a good chance that the US will clear the engine transfer to allow Sweden to sell Gripens to BD.

we all agree on the importance of procuring these fighters. I am simply pointing out, it is not financially practical for BD to purchase them without any loans. If sweden offers us a loan, then fine. But if they don't (and there is a good chance that they won't) GoB wont spend $2B dollars after it, especially since the fighters dont provide any tangible benifit which they can show to the voters (unlike padma bridge) so they wont pursue it.

those of us who actually live in Bangladesh and know the economy know that this is a lot of trash about 7% growth. The business environment is in a severe downturn. Bangladeshi figures for "GDP" are trash, madeup numbers. IMF and WB are not the police that they will come and "catch you".

Nobody in BD thinks BAF will be gettin Typhoons and Gripens and what-not. These are childhood wet dreams of some child in his cot living in the UK.

unfortunately i have to agree with you. we have around 30 million unemployed, and at least 10 million of them have tertiary education. The signs don't look too good.

Things aren't looking too good in the banking sector either.

we all agree on the importance of procuring these fighters. I am simply pointing out, it is not financially practical for BD to purchase them without any loans. If sweden offers us a loan, then fine. But if they don't (and there is a good chance that they won't) GoB wont spend $2B dollars after it, especially since the fighters dont provide any tangible benifit which they can show to the voters (unlike padma bridge) so they wont pursue it.

Is 1 million Rohingyas being pushed into BD not good enough to show docile BD population what happens when you leave yourself defenceless?
India is also becoming emboldened and trying to label millions of their Muslims as BD'shis and may try the same stunt as Myanmar has done.

Sometimes I wonder what planet some people in BD live on.:cuckoo:

Was this a reference to me by any chance?

So BD government is making up electricity consumption and booming exports are made up as well? Everything is AL hoax that no-one outside is questioning?

This is just your opinion that 7% growth rate is wrong.You have no basis to make this claim apart from "I live in BD and so must know more than people outside". What is your level of education dude? Do you have the skills to make it in the real world and are not just some frustrated loser who wants to trash BD for his own failings?

Last edited:
Is 1 million Rohingyas being pushed into BD not good enough to show docile BD population what happens when you leave yourself defenceless?
India is also becoming emboldened and trying to label millions of their Muslims as BD'shis and may try the same stunt as Myanmar has done.

Sometimes I wonder what planet some people in BD live on.:cuckoo:

Was this a reference to me by any chance?

So BD government is making up electricity consumption and booming exports are made up as well? Everything is AL hoax that no-one outside is questioning?

This is just your opinion that 7% growth rate is wrong.You have no basis to make this claim apart from "I live in BD and so must know more" than people outside. What is your level of education dude? Do you have the skills to make it in the real world and are not just some frustrated loser who wants to trash BD for his own failings?

Pushing in Assamese and Arakanese into an already overpopulated BD is part of the Buddhist-Brahminic project of ethnic cleaning of Muslims from SA. But it is bound to backfire because the Muslims are a motivated community. From these refugees will rise a force totally motivated in Islamic ideology to eventually drown the Delhi Brahmins in the Ganges and the Burmese Buddhists in the Irrawaddy. Bound to happen, no doubt.

Back
Top Bottom