and mostly is used by PLAAF

xin_0820806302140609730117.jpg

9-4.jpg

jf_2.jpg

0013729e47710c059c7843.jpg

p2011042015335219039210.jpg

ZSh-7
ZSh-7.JPG

Here is a very unique item. This is a ZSh-7A, from the factory with a cammie netting over top of the white shell. The netting was put on the helmet before the rivets were put in place. Look at the close up below. This is a low-tech answer to the white helmet problem. I would have to assume that this type helmet was then used in the Su-25/Frogfoot,Flankers and Fulcrums (ground attack aircraft), as well as in ground attack helicopters.

Changing the visor color does not change the helmet designation. Visor colors for the ZSh-7 series are only charcoal and the one rose-variant that I've seen.
Visually: the ZSh-7 series has five external holes along the top to cut down wind resistance during ejection. There are two bayonet receivers for O-2 mask reception inside the shell. The visor retracts internally.

37114.jpg

D033503-su30mki-closeup-takeoff.jpg

The HGU-55 is a lightweight helmet designed for the high-g combat environment of the Air Force F-15 and F-16. Its shell is trimmed wider and higher at the eyes for improved vision and higher on the sides and back for easier head movement. Impact-resistant polycarbonate lenses screen out harmful ultra-violet rays. A size large HGU-55 with custom-fit liner, earphones, communications cord, and oxygen mask receivers weighs only 31-ounces (878 grams). Helmets include a fitted leather edge roll, comfortable leather ear pads, and leather chin and nape strap pads.

110.jpg

I had one of these, an HGU-55. They are little custom works of art. They attach a mold to your head and pour a polymer into the void. The polymer is then lined by hand with leather, and when you wear it, it is like nothing is there. No hot spots, very light weight. Each helmet fits only the person it is molded to. They have generic versions for people getting incentive rides and such, but these were always very uncomfortable.

110.jpg

I had one of these, an HGU-55. They are little custom works of art. They attach a mold to your head and pour a polymer into the void. The polymer is then lined by hand with leather, and when you wear it, it is like nothing is there. No hot spots, very light weight. Each helmet fits only the person it is molded to. They have generic versions for people getting incentive rides and such, but these were always very uncomfortable.[/QUOTE

Chogy what aircrafts did you fly ? if you don't me asking !

I flew F-15C and instructed in the AT-38B.

When I left the USAF, there was only ONE souvenir I really wanted, and that was my helmet. I wanted it for my book shelf as a memento of my service. But when I went down to the life support shop to retrieve it, I found that they had cannibalized it for parts! I was smoking mad. I'm still sad about it. ;)

When I left the USAF, there was only ONE souvenir I really wanted, and that was my helmet. I wanted it for my book shelf as a memento of my service. But when I went down to the life support shop to retrieve it, I found that they had cannibalized it for parts! I was smoking mad. I'm still sad about it. ;)

That's a shame. The helmet must have meant a lot to you.

You really deserved it, Sir

HGU-33
1950456.jpg

---------- Post added at 03:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 PM ----------

World War Style Leather Helmet
1738113.jpg

HGU-55
1585814.jpg

Some of these pictures give an idea about another issue new aircrews face... claustrophobia. Just the helmet & mask alone can trigger some panic. Add to that, you have a rubber G-suit squeezing you, and straps galore, in a seat that is not particularly cushioned but very enveloping, and some people cannot deal with it. After a while, though, you get used to it.

A couple of pics have the new system called "Combat Edge." CE is unique in that a computer calculates G-load, and pressurizes the air you breath, which helps. But pressure breathing is very uncomfortable. They found that if they placed an inflating system to press back down on the lungs, it was much easier.

CE supposedly makes High-G sustained maneuvers much easier.

Good description on the Gentex web site. Gentex makes all these systems for the US military.

Back
Top Bottom