What's new

Autonomous UAV "NASR" designed & Manufactured by NUST students

The guys (and girls) who designed and built this are all my juniors or classmates. Although I agree that the design is a few years behind what is currently available commercially, but we have to realize that if a small group of 18-20 year olds can do this job for around a million rupees, then we have a significant underutilization problem where we are unable to extract the maximum benefit from our young, dynamic, innovative and creative millennials.
Mind you, the design and manufacturing required them to follow established safety practices, develop detailed cost analysis reviews, design reports etc.
Its a pity that this valuable engineering design and management experience that these young people have will probably never be used for the advantage of the country. I am fully aware that most of these young engineers (including myself) will jump at th chance of leaving Pakistan for some other country immediately upon graduation, simply because our talent and creativity is not valued here.
The government doesn't not even have the sense or vision to develop a comprehensive National Unmanned Aerial Systems Policy. And the armed forces much rather prefer to fulfill their UAV requirements in-house through cumbersome bureaucracy and mediocre design practices. If they start giving out development contracts to private industry, it would create an ecosystem in which we can even have startups who focus on UAV hardware and design, giving all these young and brilliant people an avenue to channel their talents and passion into a source of benefit and pride for their country.
I agree with you. On top of that, there's the added tragedy of Pakistan not designing and manufacturing the underlying inputs indigenously as well, such as the engine, the electrical components, etc. So, not only are we wasting the design engineering pool, but we're also not even scratching the other engineering and industrial works layers underneath.

And that was the main reason why the Army invested in creating universities.. Most of the R&D is now being dune via Universities.

I agree with you. On top of that, there's the added tragedy of Pakistan not designing and manufacturing the underlying inputs indigenously as well, such as the engine, the electrical components, etc. So, not only are we wasting the design engineering pool, but we're also not even scratching the other engineering and industrial works layers underneath.
Pakistan is basically producing human resource for exports. In fact that's the most valuable export it has done and hence a brain drain but the govt are happy with munching the remittances. But these remittances are peanuts in comparison to the potential of retaining the brain inside the country and developing the industry.

Pakistan is basically producing human resource for exports. In fact that's the most valuable export it has done and hence a brain drain but the govt are happy with munching the remittances. But these remittances are peanuts in comparison to the potential of retaining the brain inside the country and developing the industry.
The issue is also the remittances go to the families or private consumers, who in turn may use a lot that money to import things. One idea I found interesting was setting up an expatriate pension fund that we can send money to as an investment, which in turn they use to set-up businesses in the country.

Good project by the students for learning and displaying their understanding of subject. We are producing much heavier and capable airframes for drones. I believe basing on requirement, projects shall be floated and sponsored by institutions and industry. I am sure our boys can contribute a lot.

Pakistan Army/Airforce should talk with NUST and ORDER them to have military grade engineering as a integral part of the students curriculum. With time brilliant people will cone along and will try new things and by shear chance usefull inventions maybe produced with use for Pakistan Army and Airforce. Such as attack and surveillance UAVs. Radars and more advanced tech will follow as our experience and skill levels increase. Offer jobs to fresh graduates into Pakistan Army as a full commissioned officer and create a new R&D department for them. Time consuming but this is how nations become successful.

Agreed.
To loosely quote one of your articles, even if Pakistan does not engage in designing and manufacturing these underlying inputs, we can develop expertise in integrating disparate subsystems from a variety of vendors.
Also, one of the areas of engineering in which Pakistan can engage in design in the true sense is electronics. The design and testing of equipment like engines require access to high precision manufacturing facilities, highly skilled manpower and reliable sourcing of special alloys and materials, none of which are produced locally.
On the other hand, electronics just requires a mid- to high range computer with a software suite such as ANSYS Electronics, Proteus, Altium or OrCAD. The majority of the design and simulation can be done using these software to a high degree of precision. For actual manufacturing, components can be sourced locally, PCB manufacturing is also readily available and the electronics markets of Karachi and Lahore are full of skilled geniuses who can help solve any practical problems that the designers may face. And of course, services like JLCPCB are just a click away.
So, instead of going all out towards full indigenization, we must focus on areas where we can get the maximum and most rapid return for even minor investments.
The development of a platform to link engineers and designers with component importers, PCB fabricators, laser-cutting and machining service providers, etc can go a long way towards improving the quality of local design work.

Back
Top Bottom