What's new

Autonomous UAV "NASR" designed & Manufactured by NUST students

Excellent project by the students :)

Guys, this is an academic project. The goal of such projects is to teach the students the design process through practice. Normally it is reserved for the students in senior years i.e. when they have roughly completed 50% of the courses so they can apply their theoretical knowledge to get a hands on experience and see the application of the knowledge. Sometimes, even junior students are included in the team for experience only but it is rare.

A UAV project requires the knowledge of (1) principles of flight mechanics (2) aerodynamics / fluid mechanics (3) control systems (4) programming (5) structures/material mechanics etc
In addition to working in workshops and teamwork.
So it is moronic to ask what are commercial application and this kind of stuff and BTW, such silly question can better be answered by simple google search.

So encourage our students and keep them safe from the negative idiots have never got the opportunity to attend a college or university in any of the STEM fields

Last edited:

Great going NUST
For Education Purpose its a great start,
But for professional needs, Its at least 3 4 years behind at minimum what currently is available in the market.
Better Materials, Engines, and Batteries will change that. and can improve lower its own weight.

If Nust can product a Drones with these things in mind with 1/3 of the price of whats in market it will be a big hit
as these can be used at the low level for Military and police for Recon missions.
It can be used to drop emergency items in Natural disasters. Can be used for search and Rescue
With Low Weight and easy to assemble it will earn extra points
Good Luck

But for professional needs, Its at least 3 4 years behind at minimum what currently is available in the market.
Better Materials, Engines, and Batteries will change that. and can improve lower its own weight.

If Nust can product a Drones with these things in mind with 1/3 of the price of whats in market it will be a big hit
as these can be used at the low level for Military and police for Recon missions.
It can be used to drop emergency items in Natural disasters. Can be used for search and Rescue
With Low Weight and easy to assemble it will earn extra points
Good Luck

The guys (and girls) who designed and built this are all my juniors or classmates. Although I agree that the design is a few years behind what is currently available commercially, but we have to realize that if a small group of 18-20 year olds can do this job for around a million rupees, then we have a significant underutilization problem where we are unable to extract the maximum benefit from our young, dynamic, innovative and creative millennials.
Mind you, the design and manufacturing required them to follow established safety practices, develop detailed cost analysis reviews, design reports etc.
Its a pity that this valuable engineering design and management experience that these young people have will probably never be used for the advantage of the country. I am fully aware that most of these young engineers (including myself) will jump at th chance of leaving Pakistan for some other country immediately upon graduation, simply because our talent and creativity is not valued here.
The government doesn't not even have the sense or vision to develop a comprehensive National Unmanned Aerial Systems Policy. And the armed forces much rather prefer to fulfill their UAV requirements in-house through cumbersome bureaucracy and mediocre design practices. If they start giving out development contracts to private industry, it would create an ecosystem in which we can even have startups who focus on UAV hardware and design, giving all these young and brilliant people an avenue to channel their talents and passion into a source of benefit and pride for their country.

Are out of your mind? Stop being negative and What part of news you're unable to comprehend? Use google translator to translate "student" into whatever the language you speak. You can't even design the wing of this UAV.
Can you tell me how many bulk-heads and spars a UAV should have to support 500 kg of MTOW.? Any idea about sizing ?

Before passing any comments we should know the following:

1. What is per unit cost?
  2. What is the range?
  3. Durability?
  4. Probable commercial applications?
@S A L M A N. can you please share these and other technical details.

all these parameters are very less as mentioned in video,I think it is student project with minimum resources,even if we mass produce such uavs as toys we can earn high money by exporting it to other countries as many children buy chinese made RC airplanes/drones toys for playing

2. What is the range?
  3. Durability?

Are out of your mind? Stop being negative and What part of news you're unable to comprehend? Use google translator to translate "student" into whatever the language you speak. You can't even design the wing of this UAV.
Can you tell me how many bulk-heads and spars a UAV should have to support 500 kg of MTOW.? Any idea about sizing ?
Before going Carzy
Re read that 1st bit 10 times and use google translator that into what ever language you speak than quote me and we can have a civilized discussion.
I m not your father wont teach you manners here.

@S A L M A N.
As i said for educational purposes its a great start but when almost new tech is designed major part is future.
And Government and specially military should invest in this so new products can be created.
But answer one thing if what they are trying to achieve is readily available in the market at cheaper price and with better feature who will in its right mind invest in that tech.
People need to get out of the safe zone and show its already par with things which are already available in market as most of the important bits in this are purchased from market.

As its the norm everywhere.

Before going Carzy
Re read that 1st bit 10 times and use google translator that into what ever language you speak than quote me and we can have a civilized discussion.
I m not your father wont teach you manners here.

@S A L M A N.
As i said for educational purposes its a great start but when almost new tech is designed major part is future.
And Government and specially military should invest in this so new products can be created.
But answer one thing if what they are trying to achieve is readily available in the market at cheaper price and with better feature who will in its right mind invest in that tech.
People need to get out of the safe zone and show its already par with things which are already available in market as most of the important bits in this are purchased from market.

As its the norm everywhere.
There's no word like "Re read" so please learn some grammar and some manners, ask your father to teach and if you don't have that option then ask someone here. Students did an extremely good job and you are in no position to criticise the work done by the students. As I already asked you a basic design question but you couldn't reply still "experts" like you offer unsolicited opinions everywhere. The point is you are in no position to appreciate their work and hence stop being negative.

Last edited:

2. What is the range?
  3. Durability?

The cost is a confidential matter of the team. Although I have a fair idea, it would be improper to share it on a public forum. But the cost is very low as compared to the Chinese systems available commercially.
The safe operating range is within LOS, or as long as visual contact can be safely maintained.
The aircraft used a relatively cheap LoRa module with an effective maximum range of 10 km.
However, there was an option to use a RFD868 Long-Range telemetry radio (a system which cost around Rs. 40,000 in 2018), giving it an effective range of >40km. This option was not used primarily due to cost.
However, with a proper GCS setup consisting of directional antennas with tracking, it can be safely operated at around 40km from base.
Since the system was completely autonomous to the extent where it could execute a touch-and-go maneuver (one of the requirements of the competition which the team won). This maneuver is regarded as one of the most complex, even more so for an autonomous system.
Durability was pretty good. The team used its previous experience of building plywood aircraft to build this one out of carbon fiber using proper FEA and CFD analysis techniques making it a lightweight yet strong system. During early testing and tuning of the flight controller, the airframe endured pretty rough conditions including a rapid descent scenario. Its true baptism by fire was flying in the strong winds around the Sea View area in Karachi. This ensured that the aircraft did not have any problem during flight in the hostile British weather where even several British teams failed to make successful flights.
The competition is requirements called for the delivery of a rescue/humanitarian aid payload weighing around 1 kg and dropping it in a specific area. To identify the area, the aircraft used an on-board ASUS RockPro Single-Board Computer running an image recognition model. This model was developed, trained and optimized by the team over a period of two years.
Due to its light weight, the aircraft has an endurance of around 30 minutes (a bit unsure of the real number. It may be even greater) and the ability to carry a 1kg payload on an external payload mount.
Applications can include mapping and monitoring, delivering supplies and medicines (in high frequency and low volume missions).

Last edited:
There's no word like "Re read" so please learn some grammar and some manners, ask your father to teach and if you don't have that option then ask someone here. Students did an extremely good job and you are in no position to criticise the work done by the students. As I already asked you a basic design question but you couldn't reply still "experts" like you offer unsolicited opinions everywhere. The point is you are in no position to appreciate their work and hence stop being negative.
Here you go child
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/re-read

"BLIND CANT LEAD THE BLIND" people like you definitely cant offer anything to these kids as i said earlier you need to learn some manners 1st.

Coming back to Topic,
As i said earlier re read the 1st bit.
And dont quote me again child, I will just report your post

Here you go child
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/re-read

"BLIND CANT LEAD THE BLIND" people like you definitely cant offer anything to these kids as i said earlier you need to learn some manners 1st.

Coming back to Topic,
As i said earlier re read the 1st bit.
And dont quote me again child, I will just report your post
I see you have a lot of time to waste and tendency to derail the threads which is a common trait of trolls and hence you're a useless troll and I don't want waste my time on teaching you so don't quote me.

Back
Top Bottom