What's new

Aussie TV exposes chinks in CWG security

Pakistani_Athiest

Reaction score
The latest controversy to hit the organisers of the Commonwealth Games is a claim that the security has been breached.

Australia's Channel 7 claims to have exposed major security lapses at the CWG venues in a sting operation. The channel claimed its reporter got by security checks at the main venue -- the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium -- with crude explosives. What's worse it went undetected.

The Delhi Police have completely rubbished the sting operation calling it bogus and incorrect. Rajan Bhagat, the police spokesperson, said: "This sting operation, which is being shown, is totally bogus and incorrect. There is no lockdown in Jawahar Lal Nehru stadium. When there will be a lockdown there, I can assure you, no one will be able to make an unauthorised entry. No one can enter during the games or the lockdown period. This is a deliberately planted story. Can't say anything else. This is a completely bogus and incorrect story. This is just being done to spread misinformation. Checkings are done only after the lockdowns."

Mike Duffy of Seven News was easily able to gain entry to the JLN Stadium with a huge suitcase full of crude explosives.

“At New Delhi's main Commonwealth Games stadium, there was a yellow Delhi Police security gate. Patrol cars drove in and I slipped through. While they were distracted by their own cars, I breezed in with an oversized suitcase. There were dozens of police, but nobody asks me what it’s for. And this was no ordinary piece of luggage,” said Duffy.

He procured the crude explosives out of a car boot at a car park north of Delhi. When Duffy asked the salesman if the explosives could flatten an entire building, he relied: "Absolutely."

It was a portable, purpose-built casing for a remote detonation kit. The unit is capable of setting off 200 explosions. "It will say shoot, ready to shoot or turn off," explained the salesman.

The detonation kit salesman further assured: “If I need to blow up this car, all I need further is a detonator and an explosive.”

The salesman was paid and Duffy left with the explosives. “We paid up and took the case. Ever since the Mumbai terrorist attacks Games organisers have been at pains to paint Delhi's security situation in a good light,” Duffy said.

Suresh Kalmadi, Chairman of India's Commonwealth Games Organising Committee, had assured security has been at the top of the agenda.

Lalit Bhanot, Secretary of the Organising Committee, too said: “Delhi Police have taken full control of it and they will assure that it will be a safe Games.”

Duffy sourced the explosives too. In India's mining areas, the blackmarket for explosives is rife. He reached a place that is just a day's drive back to the Commonwealth Games.

He was shown explosives, including ammonium nitrate. Duffy was even given a demonstration of an explosion in stone.

“That was actually quite frightening. You could actually feel the blast from here. He used about a tenth of what was in that bag. And we're a hundred metres away and you could physically feel it,” Duffy said after the explosion.

In Australia, these explosives and the devices that control them are under extremely tight regulation. But in this region in India alone 160 truckloads of explosives have gone missing from official records since May.

Clive Williams, former military intelligence officer, said: “I am a bit concerned about reports that maybe the venues haven't been secured yet, because that means someone could, for example, hide explosives and remotely detonate them.”

The Ministry of Home Affairs has reacted to the sting operation. A statement said: “Lockdown in the stadiums will be done only tomorrow. It hasn’t happened so far. Security cordon will take over stadium venues by tomorrow night.”

But the man who carried out the sting operation -- Channel 7 correspondent Duffy -- says the response of the authorities is laughable.

Speaking to CNN-IBN on Wednesday morning over phone from Sydney, he said: “It is laughable that they are calling this sting bogus. You can see all the evidence. I am able to take a suitcase not only to the main gate, but also to the floor as the police did nothing. At no point were we stopped. We were there for 15 minutes or so and at not point were we stopped and walked around.”

“I read the Delhi Police statement and they said they did stop me. So as they claim there are CCTV cameras, I think they should show the evidence that we were stopped. There was a lot of police but doing very little. I have been to may events like this but I can tell you that it is out of the ordinary and worrying. My hope is that it encourages the Delhi Police to up their game when it comes to security,” Duffy said.

This comes as delegates are slamming the Games. Canadian officials say Games organisers are indifferent to problems they are raising.

Commonwealth Games Canada President Andrew Pipe said: "Personally, I'm very deeply disappointed with the reactions of the Indian government and the Organising Committee to this point."

"They have been glacial in responding to the concerns that have been raised by my colleagues and me for weeks, and indeed months, leading up to these Games. This would have been an opportunity for India to shine, instead I think it risks considerable national embarrassment unless some of these deficiencies can be addressed," he said.

The damage is already done. Athletes are already beginning to pull out. First it was discus world champion Dani Samuels from Australia who decided to skip the Games citing security fears. And now three top English athletes, including world triple jump champion Phillips Idowu, have cancelled their trip to India due to security fears.

Aussie TV sting exposes chinks in Games security - India News - IBNLive

last night, I read, sorry heard an interview of the captain of australian CWG team and he said that they are happy with the security arrangement and looking forward for the games.

last night, I read, sorry heard an interview of the captain of australian CWG team and he said that they are happy with the security arrangement and looking forward for the games.

_49195871_010236153-1.jpg

More Australian athletes may withdraw from the Commonwealth Games in Delhi, Australia's sports minister has said.

Mark Arbib said the head of Australia's Commonwealth Games Association had told him he expected a number to follow world discus champion Dani Samuels.

Samuels withdrew on Tuesday, citing security and health concerns.

Her decision came after the head of the Commonwealth Games federation fiercely criticised India over the facilities it was providing for athletes in Delhi.

Michael Fennell, president of the Commonwealth Games Federation, said advance teams had been shocked by what they had seen at the athletes' village, where toilets were ****** and flats unfinished.

A spokesman for the local organising committee said foreign officials might have "different standards of hygiene", but also promised that conditions would be improved before the Games opened on 3 October.

In a separate development on Tuesday, a pedestrian bridge connected to the main Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium stadium collapsed, injuring 27 workers, five of them seriously.
Raj Kumar Chauhan, Delhi's minister for development, said the accident occurred when workers were trying to pour concrete into a clip at the base of the bridge, and the clip was loosened

(Source)
BBC News - Commonwealth Games: More Australian athletes 'may quit'

Last edited:
Jaipal Reddy, Delhi Police slam Oz CWG sting

New Delhi: A sting by an Australian TV crew could just add to the woes of the Commonwealth Games' Organising Committee.

Piling on the embarrassment for the organisers of the Games, an Australian television news crew claims its reporter was able to enter the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium carrying a case for an explosives detonation without being stopped.

The Channel 7 journalist, who reportedly also filmed black-market explosives on sale near the Capital, walked into the venue carrying the case, capable of triggering up to 200 explosions, without any checks.

Footage broadcast on Monday shows the reporter walking into the cordoned off area with the over-sized, wheeled suitcase when a gate was opened to allow a police convoy through.But Urban Development Minister Jaipal Reddy, told NDTV that the sting was carried out at a time when the security set-up was not in place.

"That incident reported in one of the Aussie TV channels relates to a period when security arrangements were not in place. Security sanitation is going on now. From the 24th morning, they will all be highly fortified. I can assure you, and through you, all our foreign guests that these 17 venues and CWG Village will be as fortified as any of our prime installations in New Delhi."

The Delhi Police has also termed the sting operation as "totally bogus, motivated and deliberately planted."

Delhi Police spokesperson Rajan Bhagat said the sting operation was "totally bogus and incorrect" and the reporter was trying to create a false impression of security breach by walking from barricades placed on the main road near the stadium which were only meant to divert vehicles.

He said the spot was far away from the main entry gate of the Jawaharlal Nehru stadium from where the actual manual checking of those entering the venue is done.

"Such a sting operation seems to be motivated and deliberately planted in which the reporter does not even know that ammonium nitrate is a fertiliser and a known prohibited item for sale in India," Bhagat said.

"At this stage, the reporter had not reached up to the checking point," he said, adding, there is no security lock- down at the stadium. The reporter was detected at the perimeter where the security checks begin.

Security will be bolstered with additional deployments after complete lock down, he said.

In a 'lock-down', the entire venue is completely sanitised by security agencies and is sealed after a thorough check of each room available. The only time when the seals will be taken off is when the Commonwealth Games officials or players will enter these areas. (With PTI inputs)

for me common wealth games are tottaly failed by india and every body is blaming now its time for us to make fun which we never wanted to do but indians force us by doing same with us when we are in trouble anyway im happy CWG by india is failling hope all countries will not play

for me common wealth games are tottaly failed by india and every body is blaming now its time for us to make fun which we never wanted to do but indians force us by doing same with us when we are in trouble anyway im happy CWG by india is failling hope all countries will not play

dont worry sir,we know abt the jealousy nature.
just care for your team performance.i assure u,games will happen,not at any neutral venue.:lol::lol::lol:.plz dont start to dance untill games are finished or teams take their names back.:undecided::undecided::undecided:

Heard on ZEE, IBN, Aajkal

The same OLD OLD India..............no change for the world tro see through now all its glitter and fakery it had displayed over the years to fool the masses..........

the sting operation was conducted before the security devices and personnels were installed/deployed...........

Some CWG authority personnel...

by the way has our honorable Mr. Suresh Kalmuhi spoken abt these new issues?

It is sad both of us are doing this.. There are 'shame on Pakistan' threads on Indian forms which seemed really inappropriate. The Indians must understand that we are messy ourselves and gotta clean our back yard before criticizing others.

aussie media shows a coverage even before when the security cover taking place... Please cut the crap

The same OLD OLD India..............no change for the world tro see through now all its glitter and fakery it had displayed over the years to fool the masses..........
really sad our neighbour making mockery of Cwg mess.. Gazzi ! Please show us some new new pakistan images ! ! Or you want us show your's ... Please before criticizing ,make yourself correct first ...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom