What's new

Army pushes hard for fast-track purchases to regain combat edge

rajgoynar

Reaction score
NEW DELHI: Having jolted the government over the critical operational gaps in its military capabilities, the Army is now pushing hard for fast-track policies and acquisitions to "enhance its combat ratio versus China" as well as "upgrade its combat edge" against Pakistan.

The defence ministry, too, is responding with alacrity for a change. Defence minister AK Antony has called another review meeting with Army chief General VK Singh and his top brass later this month, after holding two such meetings on February 28 and April 2.

It was between the earlier two meetings that the Army chief's confidential letter to the PM, about the "hollowness'' in military preparedness, found its way into the public domain much to the government's consternation.

For starters, the cases for one more regiment of the 300-km range BrahMos supersonic cruise missiles, two "troops'' of Israeli medium-altitude, long endurance Heron UAVs (unmanned aerial vehicles), and several types of ammunition ranging from Konkurs anti-tank guided missiles to Invar missiles for T-90S main-battle tanks, will be finalized in this fiscal's first quarter, top sources said.

Interestingly, the new BrahMos regiment will have the missile's Block-III version, which has "steep dive capability'' to take out targets hidden behind a mountain range. After the western front, the government has approved deployment of these missile systems in Arunachal Pradesh to counter China's huge buildup of military infrastructure all along the 4,057-km Line of Actual Control.

Other projects in the pipeline for Army, which has over 100 of them at different stages, include advanced assault rifles, close-quarter battle carbines, bullet-proof jackets, ballistic helmets and light vehicles for the infantry's 359 battalions.

The mechanized forces' list stretches from TIFCS night-vision devices for T-72 tanks, upgrade of BMP-2 infantry combat vehicles and AFV (armoured fighting vehicle) protection to missiles and ammunition for all of them.

Air defence regiments, in turn, want procurement of three surface-to-air missile (SAM) systems - quick-reaction, medium range and man-portable short-range - to replace obsolete Russian-origin Kvadrat, Strela and other systems. Self-propelled air defence gun and missile systems as well as an upgrade of L-70 guns is also on the cards, in addition to the two indigenous Akash SAM regiments already ordered for Rs 14,180 crore.

The over Rs 20,000 crore 155mm artillery programme will get underway with induction of 145 ultra-light howitzers, to be followed by 1,580 towed, 180 self-propelled wheeled and 100 self-propelled tracked guns, as also more Russian Smerch multi-launch rocket systems.

In terms of infrastructure, apart from a new mountain strike corps, the Army wants completion of the earmarked development in the eastern theatre at a cost of Rs 9,243 crore by 2016-2017 as well as the Rs 26,155 crore "capability development in the northern borders'' by 2020-2021.

The force is also pushing for development of 14 strategic railway lines for "troop mobilization and logistics sustenance''. They include Murkongseld-Pasighat-Rupai, Misamari-Tawang and North Lakimpur-Along-Silapathar lines in the eastern sector.

The central sector lines are Rishikesh-Karanprayag-Chamoli, Dehradun-Uttarkashi, Tanakpur-Jauljibi and Tanakpur-Bageshwar, while the northern one includes Jammu-Akhnoor-Poonch, Pathankot-Leh and Srinagar-Kargil-Leh ones.

Then, the Army wants faster construction of the 73 all-weather roads (totaling 3,808 km) identified for construction along the three sectors of LAC -- western (Ladakh), middle (Uttarakhand, Himachal) and eastern (Sikkim, Arunachal) - since only 15 of them have been completed till now.

Army pushes hard for fast-track purchases to regain combat edge - The Times of India

Ok thats really good. Hope they keep the pace alive.

That's what I thought since when this so called Indian Army Chief letter came out in open.. This was a ploy to implant fast track purchases and to show to the world they we are just filling long existing gaps.. Cool, I think this Army chief 'Deepak Kapoor' is one of the cleanest and smartest Army chief India had till date..

That's what I thought since when this so called Indian Army Chief letter came out in open.. This was a ploy to implant fast track purchases and to show to the world they we are just filling long existing gaps.. Cool, I think this Army chief 'Deepak Kapoor' is one of the cleanest and smartest Army chief India had till date..

I think you mean VK Singh.

Many ex generals have said that he is the best chief the IA has had in a long time.

well , it is true
Sometimes you just need a shock treatment to get things moving

I remember in 2008 , General Deepak Kapoor cribbed about lack of night fighting capability of Indian Tanks
What followed that was some fast track induction and upgradation

ie some 968 T-72M1 tanks were upgraded to improved Ajeya Standards , with help from Israel , though Ajay Shukla complained a lot about the cost ,
India inducted some 310 T-90S Tanks and started production of the same under TOT
Army cleared the Arjun MBT and inducted some 124 of them over 3 yrs , considering the fact that between 2005-08 they had only inducted 46 of them , they also increased the order for Arjun MK1 from 124 to 248 , and placed a follow on order for 248 Arjun MK2 tanks

So what happened due to the previous letter bomb was that India got 450 new tanks and 968 upgraded ones capable of night fighting in just 4 yrs . not to mention that Govt also placed an order for 1372 new tanks , out of which some 1120 will be inducted over next 8 yrs

well , it is true
Sometimes you just need a shock treatment to get things moving

I remember in 2008 , General Deepak Kapoor cribbed about lack of night fighting capability of Indian Tanks
What followed that was some fast track induction and upgradation

ie some 968 T-72M1 tanks were upgraded to improved Ajeya Standards , with help from Israel , though Ajay Shukla complained a lot about the cost ,
India inducted some 310 T-90S Tanks and started production of the same under TOT
Army cleared the Arjun MBT and inducted some 124 of them over 3 yrs , considering the fact that between 2005-08 they had only inducted 46 of them , they also increased the order for Arjun MK1 from 124 to 248 , and placed a follow on order for 248 Arjun MK2 tanks

So what happened due to the previous letter bomb was that India got 450 new tanks and 968 upgraded ones capable of night fighting in just 4 yrs . not to mention that Govt also placed an order for 1372 new tanks , out of which some 1120 will be inducted over next 8 yrs

DEEPAK KAPOOR was caught in the housing scam. He is a fcuking a$$hole. PERIOD.

Not sure what shock the Indian govt. is expecting. Basic security preparedness is the norm for any country.

The art of war teaches us to rely not on the likelihood of the enemy's not coming, but on our own readiness to receive him; not on the chance of his not attacking, but rather on the fact that we have made our position unassailable.
- Sun Tzu

Better late than never I suppose. Just like ^^^ I to remember the reports saying the IA's armoured corps was something like 70% "night blind" and then within 3/4 years the figure was something like 90%+ Night-vision equipped.

Btw it wasn't all that bad after all to leak the letter & bring it to the public attention. Sure it wasn't for the first time a army chief has written a letter to the PM & seems like evry time the letter was thrown in the dust bin. Looks like this time something is being done about it.

Long live General VK Singh! He's truly a real life Singham for standing iron strong against government's nepotic and corrupted delays.

It is unfortunate that he has to go out and be replaced by another possible "YES madam G" (dubious due to his selection during the Army-UPA row). I just hope I am wrong and that Lt. Gen. Bikram Singh also is a fierce man like VK Singh.

The IAF replacement of ACM Naik has been a big disappointment already....

why do i have this feeling tht the letter was a ruse?

Anyways ...the thing tht matters is tht something good's coming out of this.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom