What's new

Arab modern scientific achievements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do I look like an Arab...? Or do I look like a monkey who shaved ? :D

Do u really want me to answer this question?
786709.gif

The SC & RayKalm,

Plz, calm down. You are fighting over a very silly thing. For me, and as Arab what RayKalm says go.:enjoy:

Arab is not a race. It is an ideology and language.

To some extent, yes that's true, but great portion of People live in North Africa and Northern of Arabian Penesula go with their roots back to the Arab Penesula. In Jordan more than 95% came from either KSA or Yemen.

This Arab topic was discussed thoroughly in other threads, the point that is taken is that the few last posts of this thread have been deliberately out of topic, that is what we call trolling, like this lady RayKalm (where have you gotten that name from?).
So, if you have nothing to contribute here, please go to other threads and do your chit chat there.

This Arab topic was discussed thoroughly in other threads, the point that is taken is that the few last posts of this thread have been deliberately out of topic, that is what we call trolling, like this lady RayKalm (where have you gotten that name from?).
So, if you have nothing to contribute here, please go to other threads and do your chit chat there.

Is this how a man or an Arab talk to a lady? I don't think so. And guess what, she is right, Berber, Kurds, Persians...etc are not genetically Arab . Not all Arab speaking people are Arab. And that's why we always say Arab is a language and not a race.

Is this how a man or an Arab talk to a lady? I don't think so. And guess what, she is right, Berber, Kurds, Persians...etc are not genetically Arab . Not all Arab speaking people are Arab. And that's why we always say Arab is a language and not a race.

Is there resistance to this in the Arab speaking countries who are not genetically "real" Arabs? Do the Algerians, Lebanese etc want to rid this Arab culture and go back to their roots? Like many Iranians do with regards to religion?
Many Lebanese Identify themselves as phoenicians & Carthaginians instead of Arab.

Can someone name one major discovery an Arab has made in modern history just for my knowledge sake.

Is there resistance to this in the Arab speaking countries who are not genetically "real" Arabs? Do the Algerians, Lebanese etc want to rid this Arab culture and go back to their roots? Like many Iranians do with regards to religion?
Many Lebanese Identify themselves as phoenicians & Carthaginians instead of Arab.

I have never heard that, in fact Syrians and Lebanese are the most people who are proud of their Arabisim and some of them insult Arabs they don't like by saying the Arabized Al-Saud or Arabized Qataris. However, I hear that some Berbers want their language and culture preserved and they got it in Algeria, Morocco and recently Libya. As far as I know, the vast majority of Arab world people identify themselves as Arabs.

I asked for major discovery. Not political activists, or politicians. The Chemist one however is something but it's for his work on femtochemistry, which is a subsection of chemistry.

None have made any major discovery.

Farouk El-Baz

Farouk El-Baz (Arabic: فاروق الباز‎, Egyptian Arabic: [fɑˈruːʔ elˈbæːz, fæˈruːʔ]) (born January 2, 1938) is an Egyptian American scientist who worked with NASA to assist in the planning of scientific exploration of the Moon, including the selection of landing sites for the Apollo missions and the training of astronauts in lunar observations and photography.
Currently, El-Baz is Research Professor and Director of the Center for Remote Sensing at Boston University in Boston, Massachusetts. He is Adjunct Professor of Geology at the Faculty of Science, Ain Shams University, Cairo, Egypt. He is also a member of the Board of Trustees of the Geological Society of America Foundation, Boulder, Colorado, a member of the Board of Directors of CRDF Global, and a member of the U.S. National Academy of Engineering, Washington, DC.

Farouk El-Baz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Elias Zerhouni

Elias A. Zerhouni (Arabic: إلياس زرهوني‎) (born April 12, 1951) is an Algerian born American radiologist and medical researcher. He was the 15th director of the National Institutes of Health, appointed by George W. Bush in May 2002. He served for 6 years, stepping down in October, 2008.

Elias Zerhouni - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Charles Elachi

Charles Asshur Al-Wadad Elachi (Arabic: شارل العشي‎, born April 18, 1947 in Lebanon[1]) is the Director of the Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL), located in Pasadena, California. He has held this position since May 1, 2001 and also holds professorships in electrical engineering and planetary science at Caltech. He is also a member of the Board of Trustees of the Lebanese American University (LAU).
Elachi is the director of the Jet Propulsion Laboratory and vice president of the California Institute of Technology.

Charles Elachi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fawwaz T. Ulaby

Fawwaz T. Ulaby (Arabic: فواز علبي‎) is a R. Jamison and Betty Williams Professor of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor and is the Founding Provost and Executive Vice President of the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST). He is most famous for the development of micro-electronics for a suite of circuits and antennae for THz sensors and communication systems. Today, THz technology is an enabling technology in various types of industrial sensor applications. Professor Ulaby is a member of the U.S. National Academy of Engineering, Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), and Fellow of the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE). His daughter, Neda Ulaby, is a reporter at the NPR culture desk.

Fawwaz T. Ulaby - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

George Doumani

Geologist whose explorations helped prove the theory of continental drift.
George Doumani is a Lebanese American geologist and explorer. He graduated from University of California, Berkeley. He contributed to the International Geophysical Year in 1958 in Antarctica. He made other trips to the southern continent in the early 1960s. His findings helped prove the continental drift theory. Two Antarctic mountains are named after him: Mount Doumani and Doumani Peak. In 1999 he published a book about Antarctica, The Frigid Mistress: Life and Exploration in Antarctica.

George Doumani - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Michael E. DeBakey

Michael Ellis DeBakey (September 7, 1908 - July 11, 2008) was a world-renowned Lebanese-American cardiac surgeon, innovator, scientist, medical educator, and international medical statesman. DeBakey was the chancellor emeritus of Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, Texas and director of The Methodist DeBakey Heart & Vascular Center and senior attending surgeon of The Methodist Hospital in Houston.

Michael E. DeBakey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Abdel-Wahed El-Wakil

Abdel-Wahed El-Wakil (b. 7 August 1943 in Cairo) is an Egyptian architect who designed over 15 mosques in Saudi Arabia and is considered by many as the foremost contemporary authority in Islamic architecture.

Abdel-Wahed El-Wakil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Zaha Hadid

Dame Zaha Mohammad Hadid, DBE (Arabic: زها حديد‎ Zahā Ḥadīd; born 31 October 1950) is an Iraqi-British architect and winner of the Pritzker Architecture Prize in 2004, and the Stirling Prize in 2010 and 2011.

Zaha Hadid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

800px-Pabell%C3%B3n-Puente_Zaragoza.jpg

Bridge Pavilion in Zaragoza, Aragon, Spain

800px-Bergisel_2004-11-04.jpg

Bergisel Ski Jump, Innsbruck, Austria

800px-BMW_Leipzig.JPG

BMW Central Building, Leipzig, Germany

800px-Vitra_fire_station%2C_full_view%2C_Zaha_Hadid.jpg

Vitra fire station, Weil am Rhein, Germany

800px-MaggiesCentreKirkcaldy.JPG

Maggie's Centre, Kirkcaldy

450px-Contemp_Art_Center.JPG

Contemporary Arts Center, Hadid's first American work in Cincinnati, Ohio

800px-Ph%C3%A6no_Wolfsburg.jpg

Phaeno Science Center

800px-Guangzhou_Opera_House_overview.JPG

Guangzhou Opera House

800px-London_Aquatics_Centre%2C_16_April_2012.jpg

London Aquatics Centre

509px-Riverside_Museum_rear_view.JPG

Riverside Museum

Evelyn_Grace_Academy%2C_Shakespeare_Road.jpg

Evelyn Grace Academy

800px-Heydar_Aliyev_Cultural_Center_2.jpg

Heydar Aliyev Cultural Center

1005_ddmdpp_model.jpg

Omar M. Yaghi
800px-Yaghi3.jpg

Dr. Omar M. Yaghi (born 1965, Amman, Jordan) is a Jordanian-American chemist, currently the James and Neeltje Tretter Chair Professor of Chemistry at University of California, Berkeley. He and his research laboratories design and produce classes of compounds now known as metal-organic frameworks (MOFs),[1][2] zeolitic imidazolate frameworks (ZIFs), and covalent organic frameworks (COFs). Among MOFs, there are substances with extremely high surface areas (5,640 m2/g for MOF-177)[3] and with very low crystalline densities (0.17 g·cm−3 for COF-108).[4] He has successfully developed these materials from basic science to applications in clean energy technologies including hydrogen and methane storage, and carbon dioxide capture and storage.
Omar M. Yaghi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sameera Moussa
SameeraMoussa.jpg

Sameera Moussa (Arabic: سميرة موسى‎) (March 3, 1917-August 5, 1952) was an Egyptian nuclear scientist who held a doctorate in atomic radiation and worked to make the medical use of nuclear technology affordable to all. She organized the Atomic Energy for Peace Conference and sponsored a call for setting an international conference under the banner "Atom for Peace".

Sameera Moussa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mostafa El-Sayed

800px-Mostapha_with_2_students.JPG

El-Sayed and his research group has contributed to many important areas of physical and materials chemistry research. El-Sayed's research interests include the use of steady-state and ultra fast laser spectroscopy to understand relaxation, transport and conversion of energy in molecules, in solids, in photosynthetic systems, semiconductor quantum dots and metal nanostructures. The El-Sayed group has also been involved in the development of new techniques such as magnetophoto selection, picosecond Raman spectroscopy and phosphorescence microwave double resonance spectroscopy. A major focus of his lab is currently on the optical and chemical properties of noble metal nanoparticles and their applications in nanocatalysis, nanophotonics and nanomedicine. His lab is known for the development of the gold nanorod technology. Professor El-Sayed has over 500 publications in refereed journals in the areas of spectroscopy, molecular dynamics and nanoscience. Prof. El-Sayed has supervised the research of over 70 PhD students, 35 postdoctoral fellows and 20 visiting professors, several of whom hold key positions in the scientific community.
Dr. Mostafa El Sayed's son, Dr. Ivan El-Sayed, the Professor of Tumour Surgery at the University of California, took part in applying these outcomes on cancerous cells of some animals.
Mostafa El-Sayed - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

@SC, I will have to ignore and block you from now on.

You make the horrific claim that Turks, Kurds, Iranians, Pakistanis, etc are generally Arabs, and then you call me ignorant? Silly person.

If you look at the history of Arabs, most Arabs today aren't really genetically fully Arabs.

Search for Arabization.
Arabization or Arabisation (Arabic: تعريب‎ taʻrīb) describes a growing cultural influence on a non-Arab area that gradually changes into one that speaks Arabic and/or incorporates Arab culture and Arab identity. It was most prominently achieved during the 7th century Arabian Muslim conquests which spread the Arabic language, culture, and—having been carried out by Arabian Muslims as opposed to Arab Christians or Arabic speaking Jews—the religion of Islam to the lands they conquered. The result: some elements of Arabian origin combined in various forms and degrees with elements taken from conquered civilizations and ultimately denominated "Arab", as opposed to "Arabian".

After the rise of Islam in the Arabian Peninsula, Arab culture and language spread through trade with African states, conquest, and intermarriage of the non-Arab local population with the Arabs, in Egypt, Syria, Palestine, Iraq and the Sudan. The peninsular Arabic language became common among these areas; dialects also formed. Also, though Yemen is traditionally held to be the homeland of Arabs, most[1] of the population did not speak Arabic (but instead South Semitic languages) prior to the spread of Islam.

The influence of Arabic has also been profound in many other countries whose cultures have been influenced by Islam. Arabic was a major source of vocabulary for languages as diverse as Berber, spoken Indonesian, Kurdish, Malay, Maltese, Persian, Portuguese, Sindhi, Punjabi, Somali, Spanish, Swahili, Turkish, Urdu, as well as other languages in countries where these languages are spoken; a process that reached its high point in the 10th to the 14th centuries, the high point of Arabic culture, and although many of these words have fallen out of use since then, many remain. For example the Arabic word for book /kita:b/ is used in all the languages listed, apart from Malay and Indonesian (where it specifically means "religious book") and Portuguese and Spanish (which use the Latin-derived "livro" and "libro", respectively).
Contents

You, yourself, may be someone who's been Arabized. But, the original Arabs, who, if Allah didn't make Mohammad (pbuh) an Arab, would not have been as populated as they are today, the original Arabs are genetically linked to other peoples, just as everyone in this world is!

Yes, we Pakistanis, Turks, Iranians may share links to Arabs, but that's as far as it goes. Links. We are not genetically Arabs. Get over your Arab extra-patriotism. You can be proud to be an Arab, but don't tell others that they are 'genetically' Arabs. Many nationalist Turks, if they heard what you have to say, would probably turn you upside down right now.

Now, let me change topics a little bit. Pakistan is a country with a history of 66 years. In this short time period we had much over 8 wars (including non declared ones). Because of this, our literacy rate is as low as 55-60%. But, even with such a short history, wars, and a low literacy rate, we manage to mantain an IQ of 91.

Let's take a look at this map.

Religiosity vs. IQ.

_iq_vs_religion.png

Although this was back in 1990, I want to make a point.

For Turkey, 65% of people think religion is important, and the country had an IQ of 90.

In Pakistan, 91% say religion is important, and we had an IQ of 81.

I am not saying that religion is the problem, I am putting forth that even with religion you can be entirely smart. Why? Because Pakistan in 1990 had a literacy rate of just 40%, and still managed to have an IQ of 81 while 91% of people said religion was important. This is something for you to ponder on.

@Armstrong, how do I contact you? I have to tell you something but I can't give you vistor messages.

Yes most Lebanese identify with Phoenician. In north Africa as well (Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia), a lot of people identify with Berbers (Carthaginians).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom