What's new

Anyone from Cairo / Egypt here? I have a question

That's the beauty of Egypt, with the incredible history, and the steady influx of modernity.

In due time, when the new capital will be open and completely functional, it will be fascinating because there will truly be two capitals, one old and one new, something that I'm not sure exists anywhere else, MashaAllah.

I also mentioned all the places you did and you're right about Alexandria. The Corniche is one of the best places to be at in the world. The only problem for our friend is he's only there for one week and he really needs 3 months if he wants to absorb 1/8th (lool) of what should be seen. I think he's spending too much time with planned pyramids days activities. Especially if he'll be seeing them out of his hotel balcony all the time! But that's just my opinion. One full day to see the Giza pyramids, go into Khufu and see the Sphinx and later that night catch one of the night shows and that's it. Move on to other places. But 3 days just on pyramids in one week? I understand Sakara is attractive, but once you've seen Khufu (Cheops as it's also named) and the Sphinx, you've seen the best of the best and now it's better to move on from pyramids to see the other vast historical sites.

It's tough to tell what's been moved or what hasn't yet TBH. Last April with the moving of the mummies marked a milestone, but it was also delayed because of the pandemic and other things, so it's hard to tell unless you've visited the old museum or had someone in the travel industry who is familiar let you know. Your guide and whatever company he's with should give you that information ahead of time so you know.

Despite the trove of treasures in the museum, from Ramses' incredibly preserved mummy to all the golden artifacts to the sculpting and engraving tools they used to carve all the magnificent relief scrolls and drawings and original papyrus paper to so many other incredible artifacts, you'll really need to know exactly what is still there or if it's been moved and maybe there is limited access to the new museum.

Not to deflect, but the UK should get its act together and give us back the Rosetta Stone as well as Germany should send back the statue of Nefertiti's bust, amongst so many other immeasurable treasures that don't belong to anyone else but Egypt. But I digress.

But one thing you definitely do not want to miss seeing (despite his magnificent golden chariot has already been moved) is King Tutankhamun's mask. To me, this is the #1 item that you should have on your list. It is mesmerizing with all the gold and the extraordinary blue lapis lazuli amongst several other gemstones. But the gold workmanship is beyond imagination considering their knowledge of working the precious metals as well as recognizing its value. Also knowing the different ideal temperatures to work the gold as in this case, it was mostly worked on cold. Knowing a lot of this information before seeing it will help you really appreciate it and many of the other treasures, more than if you didn't.

This is a must. If there is anything you need to see in Egypt as a first time tourist, this is it.

View attachment 787936

View attachment 787938

View attachment 787939

Well lets hope the mask is still there when we are there and not in the GEM yet. ^^ i have the feeling the GEM is still closed when we are there. Our tour company said they might be able to get a sneak preview for us but thats not sure yet.

As it stands now its mostly a pyramide tour. My mother studied archeology at university to its a big thing for her to also see Saqqara and Abusir and so on. ^^*

As for artifacts...the british stole half of the images of the acropolis in Athens and refuse to give them back. If they denie Greece, a european country, to give back stolen artifacts, i have little hope they will give anything to Egypt.

Well lets hope the mask is still there when we are there and not in the GEM yet. ^^ i have the feeling the GEM is still closed when we are there. Our tour company said they might be able to get a sneak preview for us but thats not sure yet.

As it stands now its mostly a pyramide tour. My mother studied archeology at university to its a big thing for her to also see Saqqara and Abusir and so on. ^^*

That sounds like a great plan. Nothing wrong with dedicating most of your time with the pyramids and surrounding artifacts and history if that is your primary interest. I'm sure you will have a great time. I think for many of us who grew up and were exposed to them for many years (or in some cases, all our lives) will tend to think that you shouldn't spend that much time on them because we've been somewhat burnt out on them lol! You get what I mean, right? My bedroom window for many many years would look out to the middle pyramid for a good 16 years until the surrounding buildings and those in the line of sight just kept getting taller and taller and taller until there was no more view looool. Oh well, such is life, and this was in a town called El Dokkie which was about 20-30 km away.

I'm sure you and your family will have a great time. Just watch out for the occasional pick-pocketer and grab-asser lmao as well as occasional rip-off artists. But those are far and few between these days as Sisi's state of emergency has really had a great impact for the most part and tightened security and policing and made a noticeable difference in the streets, for the most part. He also just ended that state of emergency after it's major success. So you should be fine ISA.

As for artifacts...the british stole half of the images of the acropolis in Athens and refuse to give them back. If they denie Greece, a european country, to give back stolen artifacts, i have little hope they will give anything to Egypt.

Misconception. Here we go with another "ah it's just the lowly Egypt lol." I'm kidding and I get what you mean, but I don't think you're aware of the historical efforts the Egyptian government has made through the recent couple of decades and had numerous significant items returned.

I'm not sure you're familiar with Dr. Zahi Hawass? He's quite the popular
Egyptologist/archeologist/everythingancientEgyptianhistoricalunderground fella who's been featured on many history channel and National Geographic channel shows etc. has put together a major organization for the return of stolen, ancient Egyptian artifacts and took it to the UN and the national stage and made a huge stink about how the Brits, French, German and many others ripped off so many incredibly historically significant artifacts from Egypt and many have actually been returned. It's surprising how much his dedication and tremendous efforts have really succeeded with quite a few major items.

So far, the two irreplaceable and priceless artifacts that the Brits and Germans won't let go of because of their tremendous historical magnitude and attraction, are the famous Rosetta Stone and the beautiful queen Nefertiti's wicked famous statue of her incredible beauty. Basically her bust.

Rosetta Stone:

1636344022214.png

Just imagine the value of that thing, should it ever go on the market just for the sake of fun? What do you think it's worth or would bring in at an auction? lol. The first historically significant translation of 3 languages, basically. You think it would fetch $1billion? Now that would be the ultimate heist, to rob that thing but not for money, rather to bring it back home!

Nefertiti's famous beauty in its depiction onto this super famous and very well preserved bust is yet another ancient Egyptian famous artifact. Her and Cleopatra's famous beauty captivated two of Rome's historically significant Caesars and caused wars to break out. Only the likes of very few women in history had that kind of power, yielded simply by their beauty. Maybe Helen of Troy and Cleopatra ring off the top of my head.

Nefertiti's bust.

1636344305708.png

Those two items are of the utmost priority to have returned to their rightful owner and back to their home where they belong, and it will happen soon enough InshaAllah.

In the meantime, I do hope you get to see King Tutankhamun's mask and it's wonderous beauty and gleaming gold. That's the one thing that slaps me in the face every time I go see that incredible thing, is the impact of the gold's sheen. As you get to the 2nd floor of the old museum and the mask is sort of in the middle of the huge, open floor plan, you can see the gleaming gold from about 80+ feet away. Things like that is what stay in your memory from such significant historical items.

Best of luck to you and enjoy your stay. Do take a few pics that you can share with us later after you get back, and do let us know how you made out and if you did or didn't enjoy the trip!

That sounds like a great plan. Nothing wrong with dedicating most of your time with the pyramids and surrounding artifacts and history if that is your primary interest. I'm sure you will have a great time. I think for many of us who grew up and were exposed to them for many years (or in some cases, all our lives) will tend to think that you shouldn't spend that much time on them because we've been somewhat burnt out on them lol! You get what I mean, right? My bedroom window for many many years would look out to the middle pyramid for a good 16 years until the surrounding buildings and those in the line of sight just kept getting taller and taller and taller until there was no more view looool. Oh well, such is life, and this was in a town called El Dokkie which was about 20-30 km away.

I'm sure you and your family will have a great time. Just watch out for the occasional pick-pocketer and grab-asser lmao as well as occasional rip-off artists. But those are far and few between these days as Sisi's state of emergency has really had a great impact for the most part and tightened security and policing and made a noticeable difference in the streets, for the most part. He also just ended that state of emergency after it's major success. So you should be fine ISA.

Misconception. Here we go with another "ah it's just the lowly Egypt lol." I'm kidding and I get what you mean, but I don't think you're aware of the historical efforts the Egyptian government has made through the recent couple of decades and had numerous significant items returned.

I'm not sure you're familiar with Dr. Zahi Hawass? He's quite the popular
Egyptologist/archeologist/everythingancientEgyptianhistoricalunderground fella who's been featured on many history channel and National Geographic channel shows etc. has put together a major organization for the return of stolen, ancient Egyptian artifacts and took it to the UN and the national stage and made a huge stink about how the Brits, French, German and many others ripped off so many incredibly historically significant artifacts from Egypt and many have actually been returned. It's surprising how much his dedication and tremendous efforts have really succeeded with quite a few major items.

So far, the two irreplaceable and priceless artifacts that the Brits and Germans won't let go of because of their tremendous historical magnitude and attraction, are the famous Rosetta Stone and the beautiful queen Nefertiti's wicked famous statue of her incredible beauty. Basically her bust.

Rosetta Stone:

View attachment 791171

Just imagine the value of that thing, should it ever go on the market just for the sake of fun? What do you think it's worth or would bring in at an auction? lol. The first historically significant translation of 3 languages, basically. You think it would fetch $1billion? Now that would be the ultimate heist, to rob that thing but not for money, rather to bring it back home!

Nefertiti's famous beauty in its depiction onto this super famous and very well preserved bust is yet another ancient Egyptian famous artifact. Her and Cleopatra's famous beauty captivated two of Rome's historically significant Caesars and caused wars to break out. Only the likes of very few women in history had that kind of power, yielded simply by their beauty. Maybe Helen of Troy and Cleopatra ring off the top of my head.

Nefertiti's bust.

View attachment 791173

Those two items are of the utmost priority to have returned to their rightful owner and back to their home where they belong, and it will happen soon enough InshaAllah.

In the meantime, I do hope you get to see King Tutankhamun's mask and it's wonderous beauty and gleaming gold. That's the one thing that slaps me in the face every time I go see that incredible thing, is the impact of the gold's sheen. As you get to the 2nd floor of the old museum and the mask is sort of in the middle of the huge, open floor plan, you can see the gleaming gold from about 80+ feet away. Things like that is what stay in your memory from such significant historical items.

Best of luck to you and enjoy your stay. Do take a few pics that you can share with us later after you get back, and do let us know how you made out and if you did or didn't enjoy the trip!

I dont mean "lowly egypt" xD i mean the british ripped of Greece, which is basicly their related nation. They rip evryone off.

As for the mask, its super interesting. Did you know this mask was not for Tutanchamun but maybe for Nefertiti? It was reworked and the imprinted names show changes. Its super interesting. My guess is, that Tutanchamun died so young, they had to improvise alot for his burial.

They recently also found new chambers right next his tomb, using ground radar. So maybe there are more rooms. Some believe it could be Nefertiti tomb and they seperated a few rooms for Tutanchamun. It would make sense.

Back
Top Bottom