What's new

Anger in Afghanistan at female pilot's US asylum bid

She should consider moving to India. Our aviation industry is going through an expansion - especially for commercial airliners. We need trained pilots. The US is quite saturated - except she will get better health and NGO support infra there. Our NGOs will not touch her. Except the Hindutva parties perhaps... Oh, the irony.

In Afghanistan, Death Threats Shatter Dream of First Female Pilot
Niloofar Rahmani faces opposition from Taliban as well as members of her own extended family

KABUL—At age 21, Niloofar Rahmani became Afghanistan’s first female fixed-wing military pilot, living out her father’s dream and emerging as a symbol of her country’s revolutionary assent to roles for women outside the home.

That was also when her life began to unravel. “This was my dream job,” the Afghan Air Force captain said. “I never thought I would want to quit.”

Now 23 years old, Capt. Rahmani faces death threats from both the Taliban and members of her extended family for daring to work in the male-dominated world of military aviation. Her parents and siblings also fear for their lives, and the family of eight lives in hiding, their comfortable middle-class life lost.

The U.S.-led coalition had publicized Capt. Rahmani’s achievements, helping turn her into one of the faces of the post-9/11 generation of Afghans, those who came of age after the end of Taliban rule. Online photos of the young pilot in her khaki jumpsuit, loose head scarf and aviator sunglasses went viral.

RELATED
Her experience, however, reveals the limits on women’s rights here, despite the sizable investment by the U.S. and its allies to promote gender equality. Among the advances: Girls schools have opened, women have joined the workforce and some have shed their burqas. But efforts to empower women have at times clashed with traditional Afghan culture.

Capt. Rahmani grew up in a family that embraced the U.S.-backed order that followed the Taliban’s ouster. When the Afghan Air Force began recruiting women, she signed up in 2011 with the support of her family. She was 18 years old.

“We should have this right in Afghanistan,” she told The Wall Street Journal during training in 2012, and urged other young women to follow. “I decided to join the military to be an example for others.”

Capt. Rahmani flies a Cessna 208 turboprop plane that ferries soldiers to battle—and sometimes brings home their remains. A year ago, she became an aircraft commander.

Her father, Abdoul Wakil, had wanted to join the Afghan Air Force as a young man in the 1980s. “The children knew that their father’s dream hadn’t come true,” he said. “But I never imagined that by becoming a pilot we would face such problems, that we would suffer this much.”

By 2013, Capt. Rahmani had become well-known in Afghanistan and that was when the threatening phone calls began. At first, she had trouble understanding the shouted messages. The men calling didn’t speak her language, Dari. But their message was clear: Quit or die.

A letter then landed on her doorstep one night. “You have not taken our threats seriously,” said the letter, dated Aug. 3, 2013. “Islam has instructed women not to work with the Americans or British. If you carry on doing your job, you will be responsible for your destruction and that of your family.”

BN-JQ643_AFPILO_P_20150730184945.jpg
ENLARGE
Ms. Rahmani, 23 years old, received threats from a faction of the Taliban, as well as members of her extended family, for daring to work as a pilot in the Afghan Air Force. PHOTO: SHAH MARAI/AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE/GETTY IMAGE
The mailed threat was signed by a faction of the Pakistani Taliban, the Tehrik-e Taliban Swat. It advised her “to learn from Malala Yousafzai,” the teenage Nobel laureate who was nearly killed for campaigning for women’s rights in her home valley of Swat, Pakistan. The family, including Capt. Rahmani, temporarily fled to India.

More frightening, Capt. Rahmani said, were threats from relatives who accused her of shaming the family. In one photo widely shared on social media, two female U.S. pilots lifted Capt. Rahmani in celebration after her first solo flight. Rumors spread that the U.S. pilots were actually men, and they were converting her to Christianity.

Some of Capt. Rahmani’s male relatives, including uncles and cousins, believed the only way to restore their family honor was to punish her, she said. After a guard halted a break-in at the longtime family home in Kabul, she said, they sold the house. They have since moved houses every few months.

After Capt. Rahmani returned from India, the Afghan Air Force asked her to quit, saying she had abandoned duty. She said pressure from the U.S.-led coalition kept her job.

Over the past year, Capt. Rahmani’s brother Omar said, he was twice attacked, first in an attempted shooting near his university, and then in a hit-and-run that broke his arm. The family’s main breadwinner—Mr. Wakil, an engineer—lost his job last fall after harassment by his colleagues over his daughter’s notoriety, Mr. Wakil said.

Capt. Rahmani’s older sister, Afsun, has suffered her own consequences: Her husband’s family shunned her, and she is now divorced, a rare and shameful circumstance in Afghanistan. As a result, she hasn’t seen her 4-year-old son in more than a year, according to family members.

“Had I known, I would never have put my family through this,” Capt. Rahmani said. “Despite the situation we are in, they are still supporting me. Sometimes I feel that if I didn’t have their support, I wouldn’t be alive.”

In March, the U.S. Department of State honored Capt. Rahmani with an International Women of Courage Award, acknowledging the personal risks she took for her career. She visited San Diego to fly with the Navy’s Blue Angels, and the mayor proclaimed March 10, 2015, “Captain Niloofar Rahmani Day.”

Capt. Rahmani’s superiors were reluctant to grant her permission to travel to the U.S. and gave no recognition of the honor when she returned, Capt. Rahmani and foreign officials said.

“Niloofar is not the only one who is being threatened—all pilots are,” said Col. Bahadur Khan, spokesman for the Afghan Air Force. “The enemy doesn’t distinguish between men and women. She should stand firm against the threats and serve the country bravely.”

Of the threats and attacks on her family, Capt. Rahmani said, her superiors have told her, in essence: You knew what you were getting into. We didn’t force you to join.

“Her visibility served on one hand as a source of inspiration, but on the other hand as an irritant to those who were not progressively minded,” said John Michel, a retired U.S. Air Force Brigadier General who was in charge of the U.S.-led coalition’s Air Training command until August 2014. “It’s disappointing to hear where we are at now.”

Although Afghanistan is short of skilled pilots, Capt. Rahmani hasn’t flown since early July because of security risks.

The U.S. military has offered a chance for her to temporarily relocate to the U.S. for training aboard C-130 transport aircraft, an opportunity she is eager to pursue. She also could enroll in aviation school outside Afghanistan to obtain a commercial pilot’s license, she said, an expensive option her family can’t afford without help.

“I really wanted to be in the military. I really wanted to be in the Air Force,” said the aviator, currently one of three female Afghan military pilots. “But I can’t continue like this.”

—Nathan Hodge contributed to this article.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/in-afgh...hatter-dream-of-first-female-pilot-1438738716

Every single afghan should be moved to America and the place nuked to solve the mess for good. A win-win for everyone.

She has every right to request asylum. Her concerns are not unfounded as just recently some lunatics killed about a dozen women working government jobs. To all the brave men who are calling her coward i just wonder how many of you are willing to work in a place like afghanistan.

This is because people fear the hardliners in their country, especially places like Afghanistan where until recently women could never think of doing such things.
She has every right to choose asylum in a safe country of her choice.
I agree completely with you. The "evil" West has tried everything (and spent billions) trying to help improve women's life and role in the country, but seems most of the people there are glad with their cultural backwardness of keeping their women behind close doors and restricting them from doing anything.
There is only so much we can do. We should just let these people carry on with their backwardness, since according to them it's part of their culture. Lol

Anyway, I agree we should offer asylum to this young forward looking brave girl. She actually wants to achieve something in her life, and there is a great security threat against her life in the country, since according to the article even her own family is targeting her for going against the country's backward so called "local culture". We should let them live under their Taliban moral rule and take in those who are willing to advance/move forward with the world. :)

She has every right to request asylum. Her concerns are not unfounded as just recently some lunatics killed about a dozen women working government jobs. To all the brave men who are calling her coward i just wonder how many of you are willing to work in a place like afghanistan.
Exactly. :tup:

Last edited:
Every single afghan should be moved to America and the place nuked to solve the mess for good. A win-win for everyone.
Not a very friendly gesture.
Nuking a country would ruin the land for decades if not centuries.

I think there is unjust reaction against this lady.. No body made such hue and cry when there male soldiers deserted in USA. Why to put one life in danger to protect the interest of Warlords..

Anger in Afghanistan at female pilot's US asylum bid

By Reuters
Published: December 26, 2016

1275296-niloofarrahmani-1482736814-264-640x480.jpg

PHOTO: AFP

KABUL, AFGHANISTAN: There was an angry reaction in Afghanistan to news that the first female fixed-wing pilot in the country’s air force was requesting asylum in the United States after completing an 18-month training course.

The Afghan defense ministry confirmed on Sunday that Captain Niloofar Rahmani, 25, had sought asylum after the Wall Street Journal quoted her as saying that she feared her life would be in danger if she returned home.

A recipient of the US State Department’s “Women of Courage” award in 2015, Capt. Rahmani had been a symbol of efforts to improve the situation of women in her country, more than a decade after the fall of the Taliban regime.

Afghan air force spreads its wings amid record army losses

Mohammad Radmanish, a defense ministry spokesperson, said the government hoped that her request would be denied by US authorities who have spent billions trying to build up Afghan security forces.

“When an officer complains of insecurity and is afraid of security threats, then what should ordinary people do?” he said. “She has made an excuse for herself, but we have hundreds of educated women and female civil right activists who work and it is safe for them.”

Capt. Rahmani, who graduated from flight school in 2012 and qualified to fly C-208 military cargo aircraft, had been in the United States on a training course and had been due to return home on Saturday.

In a conservative country notorious for the restrictions placed on women, Rahmani’s story stood out as a rare example of a woman breaking through in areas normally reserved for men.

First female Afghan air force pilot seeks asylum in US amid ‘death threats’

Her success came at a price, however. The citation for the “Women of Courage” award said she and her family had received direct threats not just from the Taliban but also from some relatives, forcing her family to move house several times.

However, there was little sympathy on Afghanistan’s active social media networks, which were replete with comments criticizing Rahmani, accusing her of wasting government money spent on expensive training and avoiding her responsibilities.

“Niloofar Rahmani took a million dollars from the pockets of the people of Afghanistan to pay human traffickers to get to America to seek asylum,” one Facebook user wrote in comments.

PIA ‘pilot sisters’ make history by flying Boeing planes concurrently

Dozens of Afghan troops receiving training in the United States have gone missing over the past two years, and at least one has been detained while trying to cross the border to Canada.

Fair enough. If she has the chance to get out and lead a normal life then who can begrudge her that. Its seriously time for the corrupt establishment sitting in Kabul milking western $$$ to wake up and do something for their country. Their beloved policy of blaming all of their countries ill and problems on Pakistan may sooth the mob, but it will only drive their country further and further back.

I think there is unjust reaction against this lady.. No body made such hue and cry when there male soldiers deserted in USA. Why to put one life in danger to protect the interest of Warlords..

No one knew about these afghans in USA. But big deal was made out of this brave afghan lady last year maybe thats why hue and cry. I don't really blame them, afghans are like most others if given opportunity will not like to die in war. And USA provide them security. Not sure for how long though after Trump and rise of nationalist rightest movements across west. Muslims and others from 3rd world countries will find more and more difficult to migrate and settle in western world.

Europe have already started deporting all Afghans back.

Bingo.

It's so easy to be brave behind a keyboard.

BS, if she was so afraid for her life why did she join the forces? Truth is she saw the riches a life in the states provides (compared to her native country) and decided she would rather stay. If she's so afraid for her life, let her go to india...bet she won't.

BS, if she was so afraid for her life why did she join the forces? Truth is she saw the riches a life in the states provides (compared to her native country) and decided she would rather stay. If she's so afraid for her life, let her go to india...bet she won't.

Why India, why not Bangladesh? Bet she won't go there either.

Why India, why not Bangladesh? Bet she won't go there either.

Let her apply, she's just an economic migrant....She signed up to fight for her country and as soon as she got a opportunity she bailed, no pun intended. No wonder afghanistan is in the state its in....

Back
Top Bottom