What's new

Ancient India in the time of the Mahabharata

you missed the whole point of living as a tiger for a few days compared to living as a *** for eternity ....plz read his famous quote from my previous post ...victory or defeat bravery shines everywhere ...

:cheers:

Nice quote..... but he was still defeated.
Would you name a ship after the indian general that lost the war against china or name it after the general that defeated the pak army during bdesh war?

Sallaudin is another .......he never won a total victory.

Would you name a ship after the indian general that lost the war against china or name it after the general that defeated the pak army during bdesh war?

India does not name ships after kings/queens. So the question is moot.

On the other hand Vijay Mallya bought Tipu's sword at an auction and it was seen as a proud moment for Karnataka. So it is not like people cannot be proud of a guy who lost. Rani of Jhansi lost too, and Bhagat singh was hanged -- are we any less proud of them? In fact, Subhash Chandra Bose's women's regiment was named after Rani of Jhansi.

i was not the one who chose the name ...please ask the people who had done it :toast_sign:

Dear Sir,

I was puzzled by this statement: Sallaudin (sic) is another...he never won a total victory. Do you mean this literally? It seems to be severely at variance with what recorded facts I have read.

Sincerely,

JS

So what does it name them after?

Various themes, the latest destroyers after cities, latest frigates after mountain ranges etc. Don't think ever after people. mostly sanskrit words.

Only exception in indian forces i know is Rustom UAV (Not named after Rustom the persian general :))

First of all in the history books it was partly flooded, so after clearling that part, the town still exist. History lesson is done for today!!

Hastinapur is near Meerut.It is now famous for Jain temples.I am planning to visit it in near future. I am fascinated by ancient history/mythology.

Ghauri defeated Prithvi raj Chuhan. The significance of the name is that our Ghauri missile will defeat your prithvi missile.

Geez, don't tell me Indians didn't get it, till today?

Indian missile was named "prithvi" as it means "earth" one of the five elements in the same way as one of the other missiles is called "agni" which means "fire".It has nothing to do with prithvi raj chauhan!

Geez, don't tell me Pakistanis didn't get it, till today?
Talk about paranoia!

Yup, that seems like a hugely united country :rofl:

What a stupid thing to post. Can we say, getting desperate now?

Even in the Mahabharat (which I personally do not believe in, and wash my grubby vidharmic paws of), it mentions a lot of separate kingdoms, but no unified country.

Much like the Qu'ran mentions Khorasa'aan, but that doesn't mean Khorasa'aan was a part of Arabia, or belonged to it in any way.
buddy your's best friend china is also made up of small kingdoms in the past. now call it one china :taz:

I've said it before, I'll say it again.

"India", "Ancient India", if you like was only known to the outside world as the region of modern day Pakistan, right up till 300 BC. For 1000 years of the Ancient history, during the height of Vedic times, modern day India had nothing to do with "India".

Following 300 BC, it was only the outside world that grouped bits of modern day India, Bharat, under the term "Indian". In fact during this time, there was no India, just a lot of separate kingdoms. This continued right up till 1947.

So you see the only times in the WHOLE of history when India existed was 3,000 years ago as the "Saptha Sindhu" (the real India), and then in 1947 as today's India or Bharat.

You can see that Bharat, for whatever reason, has stolen the name "India" from a previous country.

This would be like the Congo changing its name to The United States of America in 3,000 years time, then claiming it was themselves who sent the first man to the moon!!
what is wrong in changing name?
its just a name :disagree:
you have mentioned that india is made up of small kingdoms, you should have also know the fact that during the Mauryan rule India was united.

Indian missile was named "prithvi" as it means "earth" one of the five elements in the same way as one of the other missiles is called "agni" which means "fire".It has nothing to do with prithvi raj chauhan!

Geez, don't tell me Pakistanis didn't get it, till today?
Talk about paranoia!
A war has one victor and one vanquished. However, a defeated worrior is not less brave than his rival. Prthvi Raj Chauhan was a great hero because he fought against his stronger rival. This maharaja did not run away from his mission, but was defeated and killed in a great war where he was betrayed by some other maharajas.

India should certainly name a missile or a rocket or something else in his honour. There must also be many monuments in his name.

Yup, that seems like a hugely united country :rofl:

What a stupid thing to post. Can we say, getting desperate now?

Even in the Mahabharat (which I personally do not believe in, and wash my grubby vidharmic paws of), it mentions a lot of separate kingdoms, but no unified country.

Much like the Qu'ran mentions Khorasa'aan, but that doesn't mean Khorasa'aan was a part of Arabia, or belonged to it in any way.

Dude have u ever read the Mahabharata ? pls go do some reading:what:

Its true that "India" and "Hindu" are foreign corruptions of the name Sindhu. Frankly I prefer "Bharat" and "Sanatana Dharma" instead of India and Hinduism. Sanskrit names have a wonderful deeper meaning. "Bharat" means "he who is devoted to the search for knowledge". "Sanatana Dharma" means "eternal righteousness".

hi great explanation, love the meaning :yahoo: i love my country & our diversity.

India never really had ONE civilization. The mere testament is the world of a difference between the South Indians and the North Indians. The southerners don't even give the same allegiance to India as the Northerners do.

dude i stay in Bangalore,karnataka to be precise :cheers:.i.e. South indian

what are u talking abt ? allegiance to India :what:dude, when it comes to INDIA no matter north India or south India , rich or poor, tall or short,fair or dark, Hindu or Muslim or christian. we stand united :mps:

so dont even question our allegiance :cheers:

south and north is just geography & i guess u know abt our "unity in diversity" :smitten: when something goes wrong the whole nation becomes one :thinktank:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom