What's new

Anatomy of the Hatf-VIII Ra’ad Air Launched Cruise Missile

Maybe a stupid thought but can we put Raads on C130s? One under each wing and 4 under belly?....a formation of 3 C130s flying within Pakistani territory lauching 18 Raads simultaneously for a saturation attack on a key enemy target ~400km from international border!

Raad 1 wasn't made for thunder.
Raad 2 is the one made like storm shadow and meant to be integrated with thunder
That's what I thought as well. But that picture I shared has thrown me off. Maybe it's just a lazy graphics designer.

So I was at least half (or a third) right lol.

Damn so I was basically on point with the scale and pixel counting but wrong about whether not the landing gear would interfere with the fins or not. Also, not on the centerline which was obvious I guess.
Also, this might just be a lazy graphics designer and they're actually integrating Raad 2.
View attachment 648167
You forget to take the position of landing gear in long axis

Maybe a stupid thought but can we put Raads on C130s? One under each wing and 4 under belly?....a formation of 3 C130s flying within Pakistani territory lauching 18 Raads simultaneously for a saturation attack on a key enemy target ~400km from international border!
Why not use 18 mirages for that?
You have over 100 in service

Right. I was just looking back on the original post. I made a side view for the centerline hardpoint but not the wing hardpoint. I was too quick to disregard the possibility. Of course it still might be a lazy graphics designer and it's actually Raad 2 that's being integrated into the JF17.

This might be a dumb question but do we use imported it local engines on our cruise missiles like Raad and Babur?
Raad 1 wasn't made for thunder.
Raad 2 is the one made like storm shadow and meant to be integrated with thunder

Not a completely crazy idea. But in a war situation we wont have C130s available for these things. Our c130 fleet is already overstretched. Furthermore, I doubt Raad is designed to be used in great numbers with nonnuclear warheads. We have other SOWs for that purpose. Also, Mirages can let you hit much deeper into India which would be the only reason to use Raad as a nonnuclear weapon. Launching it from 400km inside would have the same effect as launching a MUCH cheaper IREK from the border using a JF17. Remember, Raad is just an advanced kamikaze UAV.

This might be a dumb question but do we use imported it local engines on our cruise missiles like Raad and Babur?
Initially I believe turbojets were imported from Ukraine (I vaguely recall seeing some MoD documents regarding procurement on this forum). However this was a long time ago so hard to say whether the current powerplant is imported or local. Its "relatively" easier to manufacture low reliability small turbojets for missiles (since they only need to operate for a couple of hours at most) as opposed to those for let's say a UAV that may fly a thousand hours over its life. But I dont think theres any concrete information on whether the powerplant is imported, license manufactured, or local.

Not a completely crazy idea. But in a war situation we wont have C130s available for these things. Our c130 fleet is already overstretched. Furthermore, I doubt Raad is designed to be used in great numbers with nonnuclear warheads. We have other SOWs for that purpose. Also, Mirages can let you hit much deeper into India which would be the only reason to use Raad as a nonnuclear weapon. Launching it from 400km inside would have the same effect as launching a MUCH cheaper IREK from the border using a JF17. Remember, Raad is just an advanced kamikaze UAV.

Initially I believe turbojets were imported from Ukraine (I vaguely recall seeing some MoD documents regarding procurement on this forum). However this was a long time ago so hard to say whether the current powerplant is imported or local. Its "relatively" easier to manufacture low reliability small turbojets for missiles (since they only need to operate for a couple of hours at most) as opposed to those for let's say a UAV that may fly a thousand hours over its life. But I dont think theres any concrete information on whether the powerplant is imported, license manufactured, or local.
Even Indians are using NPO turbofan in their Nirbhay despite spending time and money on developing similar engine at home.

Even Indians are using NPO turbofan in their Nirbhay despite spending time and money on developing similar engine at home.
We did have a long headstart in this area but you're right: development of turbojets/fans even for missiles is not at all trivial. I didn't mean to give that impression.

one word: stealth

SOM is at least a generation ahead of Ra’ad and uses composite materials and advanced subsystems. Has considerable input from Lockheed Martin which wanted it for the F-35. Assuming Ra’ad is superior missile is a bold audacious statement. As @Bilal Khan (Quwa) said, Ra’ad would most likely be used for noNconventional attacks; SOM is the ideal platform for conventional strikes and SEAD missions, Raptor III is also another fine alternative.

Hi,

In the late 80's I was shopping for a computer here in the US---. I came across a pakistani salesperson---I asked him what the computer can do---the one he is selling---he replied ' it is not what the computer can do---it is what you can do with the computer '---.

So SOM or Ra'ad---. Bilal Khan or me---we can only share---and neither one of ours word is written in stone but I can tell you this much---Ra'ad will do what needs to be done---.

A generation behind weapons just simply don't go obsolete.

Hi,

Off course something like that can be done

Why not use 18 mirages for that?
You have over 100 in service

I read somewhere about 1965 war that in one mission 3 sabres were allocated for a mission but at the last minute 1 developed an issue and only 2 went to attack inside India. So an 18 mirage mission might mean more required to ensure final success on D-Day. C130 seems less likely to develop last minute issues as compared to fighter aircraft. Also in 1965 war we used C130 for bombing missions in Kashmir. So just thought we could repeat something similar. Fly them close to Indian border and offload a big chunk of Raads which can go deep inside India ~400-600Km and overwhelm a radar defence site or an airfield.

Hi,

In the late 80's I was shopping for a computer here in the US---. I came across a pakistani salesperson---I asked him what the computer can do---the one he is selling---he replied ' it is not what the computer can do---it is what you can do with the computer '---.

So SOM or Ra'ad---. Bilal Khan or me---we can only share---and neither one of ours word is written in stone but I can tell you this much---Ra'ad will do what needs to be done---.

A generation behind weapons just simply don't go obsolete.

Hi,

Off course something like that can be done
Fantastic reply

We cannot wraponize C-130s... You know, American stuff -> American Approval.

We cannot wraponize C-130s... You know, American stuff -> American Approval.
we had that approval in 1965 hence no need to ask them again.

EDIT.
If the Americas ask why did we do this tell them in their own language.
WE DID IT ON GRAND MAMA RIGHT. This is what the Americans say when they have been doing business for a very long time (over 50 Years).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom