What's new

Amid Shifting Geopolitical Dynamics, India Plays Hard Ball in Afghanistan

So you reject the present democratic setup AND you reject the Taliban (apparently). So who do you think should run Afghanistan - Pakistan?

Pakistan is one of our most important neighbor with which we want to live in peace and prosper together. Pakistan does some legitimate grievances that H.E Ashraf Ghani tried to address and will continue to address, we can’t wish away Pakistan so we need to find a way to co-exist. There are sane voices in Pakistan which understand that a stable Afghanistan is needed for a stable Pakistan and Ashraf Ghani will continue to work with them.

In summary : For Afghanistan its not a zero sum game between India or Pakistan, for us both are important and we want to be on the best terms with both of them.

Pakistan is one of our most important neighbor with which we want to live in peace and prosper together. Pakistan does some legitimate grievances that H.E Ashraf Ghani tried to address and will continue to address, we can’t wish away Pakistan so we need to find a way to co-exist. There are sane voices in Pakistan which understand that a stable Afghanistan is needed for a stable Pakistan and Ashraf Ghani will continue to work with them.

In summary : For Afghanistan its not a zero sum game between India or Pakistan, for us both are important and we want to be on the best terms with both of them.

@Hiptullha

India's lukewarm response to Ghani is not just a question of policy, its also a question of method. India follows a subtle, consistent foreign policy and we expect other responsible nations to do the same. What Ghani did was rather juvenile and immature by foreign policy standards of stable countries.

India will take her time with Ghani for that reason, we want him to act responsibly and with subtelity. We need to know we are dealing with policy and not a person who can change depending on mood.

Also, our reading IMO is that fundamentally Pakistani objectives are incompatible with a national Afghan govt. Pakistan's Afghan policy seems deep rooted in their own weaknesses in the tribal belt.

This may sound weird, but we have more faith in Pakistan's policy WRT Afghanistan than in Ghani's policy WRT India. Hence we are not all that worried. Pakistan is incapable of course correction, they lack the necessary institutions and long term win-win policy for that.

Enjoy
The Pakistani Godfather: The Inter-Services Intelligence and the Afghan Taliban 1994-2010 | Small Wars Journal

Fair enough :) but its for afghans to reject or accept which ever government they choose so, the current NUG was voted in by million of Afghans going participating in the elections and going against the Tali terror.
I can't believe you support Dostum!

I vote for H.E Ashraf Ghani and I chose him to lead the country, as for his VP he has a considerable following in the Uzbek ethnic group, but personally for me he is irrelevant but indeed he is a reality, cant deny that as is Zardari or the chief of MQM in Pakistan

I vote for H.E Ashraf Ghani and I chose him to lead the country, as for his VP he has a considerable following in the Uzbek ethnic group, but personally for me he is irrelevant but indeed he is a reality, cant deny that as is Zardari or the chief of MQM in Pakistan

I can understand your sentiments, but unfortunately, one bad apple can spoil the whole lot.

Dostum, Abdullah Abdullah, all seriously undermine Mr.Ashraf Ghani's credibility.

Wait and Watch seems to be current policy. However this must not hinder the ongoing projects.

Gee, aren't you jolly happy to see the return of head-beheading, woman-raping, beard-never-shaving Islamic terrorists in a country that is not Pakistan. Wonder why the crocodile tears for the massacred school-children then.

Who would want a repeat of Gujrat -- Women raped, people burned alive.

I don't think anybody is shedding crocodile tears -- not even Modi Mata.

Its not him supporting dostum. He is putting faith in democracy. There will always be black sheep every where and as democracy gets strengthened unwanted stuff will get cleaned out from system. If tomorrow if there is some one better than dostum he will get elected.

More ever it is for afghans to decide not others.

Who would want a repeat of Gujrat -- Women raped, people burned alive.
I don't think anybody is shedding crocodile tears -- not even Modi Mata.
Oh you show a lot of misplaced concern for your fellow beings. There are institutions in india to take care of that and its none your business. Why not help the hapless syrians or palestinians ? Or you can help your own fellow balochs from getting disappeared, mutilated and dumped.

So you reject the present democratic setup AND you reject the Taliban (apparently). So who do you think should run Afghanistan - Pakistan?

A government willing to bury the hatchet. The current government doesn't take the nation or itself seriously. They whine about militants fleeing to Pakistan after Zarb-i-Azb but didn't bother coordinating with the Pakistani military. They moan about cross-border attacks and drug trafficking in the country but they want the border to remain porous.

India's influence is waning, that much is for sure. Even if Ghani falls and Karzai comes back to power, in the long run, India will still lose. It's the nature of the conflict, and there is little India can do to change that. Not even a trillion dollar investment will change this situation.

India's influence is waning, that much is for sure. Even if Ghani falls and Karzai comes back to power, in the long run, India will still lose. It's the nature of the conflict, and there is little India can do to change that. Not even a trillion dollar investment will change this situation.

Karzai has already stated he has no intention of returning to politics.

Karzai has already stated he has no intention of returning to politics.
And we're just suppose to believe him? Why do you think he's been interfering with the Afghan government so much? All those foreign trips meeting world leaders? Putting pressure on domestic security forces to reduce their ties with Pakistan? Tribal leaders going to Karzai's mansion to address their grievances, instead of the presidential palace or parliament?

"Capitalizing on popular discontent as the Taliban advanced and international financial aid dried up, Mr. Karzai and his circle of former senior officials, who continue to meet regularly, have used this time to build an alternative power center. That circle increasingly attracts regional power-brokers and, diplomats say, now may threaten the current government’s very survival. Some of these politicians are even openly calling for a removal of Mr. Ghani."

Fears and Hopes of a Hamid Karzai Comeback in Kabul - WSJ

"The former Afghan president has cast himself as a unifier of the country, but his manoeuvring against his successor, Ashraf Ghani, suggests otherwise"

Hamid Karzai seen as increasing threat to Afghanistan's political stability | World news | The Guardian

I've been saying this since the beginning. As long as Karzai remains in Afghanistan, he will remain a threat to Afghan government's stability. It is only recently that big news outlets and analysts have been echoing these same thoughts, which brings a good amount of credibility to what I've been saying.

He is India's last and best hope of containing Pakistan's influence in Afghanistan, either he will succeed, or he will fail. Either way, Afghanistan's future is looking grim.

A government willing to bury the hatchet. The current government doesn't take the nation or itself seriously. They whine about militants fleeing to Pakistan after Zarb-i-Azb but didn't bother coordinating with the Pakistani military. They moan about cross-border attacks and drug trafficking in the country but they want the border to remain porous.

Why don't you built a fence on your side?? You don't need their permission for that. That way you can control who is crossing into your country.

Why don't you built a fence on your side?? You don't need their permission for that. That way you can control who is crossing into your country.

Afghans have attacked Pakistani checkpoints in the past because they believe they were built on Afghan land.
WANA/ISLAMABAD: Two soldiers were wounded when Afghan National Army fired at Pakistan Army’s position in Angoor Adda area of South Waziristan Agency on Wednesday.

An Afghan border guard was killed in the exchange of fire.

The Inter-Services Public Relations said that a rocket-propelled grenade-7 and a few rounds of small arms were fired on the Angoor Adda gate from the Afghan side causing injuries to the soldiers. Pakistani troops responded and targeted positions from where fire was coming.

The border-crossing point was closed after the incident. Local people said that the exchange of fire continued for more than an hour.

It is learnt that the wounded soldiers belonged to Frontier Works Organisation which builds roads and other infrastructures in border areas.

Official sources said the government had planned to construct an entry gate, ‘Bab-i-Waziristan’, along the Afghan border. Afghan authorities have reservations over the plan and asked Pakistan to abandon it.

They said that FWO workers went to the site early in the morning to resume work but came under attack. One official said the federal government had decided to establish customs station at Angoor Adda.

The sources said the Afghan government considered it a disputed territory despite the fact that a proper demarcation line had been drawn under the Durand Line agreement.

Construction of the gate was planned last week. The federal government has built gates along the Afghan border at different places in the Federally Administered Tribal Areas.

Skirmishes at Angoor Adda took place at a time when relations between Islamabad and Afghanistan had started deteriorating in the wake of a surge in Taliban attacks inside Afghanistan and statements of the Afghan leadership against Pakistan.

President Ashraf Ghani has said that Pakistan is in an undeclared war with Afghanistan. Earlier Afghanistan’s National Directorate of Security alleged that Pakistan’s spy agency was behind the recent attack on the parliament building in Kabul.

ISPR spokesman Maj Gen Asim Bajwa said that Pakistani troops had responded and targeted positions from where fire was coming.

Afghan Islamic Press quoted Deputy Governor of Paktika province Attaullah Fazli as having said: “The Pakistani forces want to set up installations at zero point which is illegal. We repeatedly took up the issue with the Pakistani side during different meetings but it did not yield any result. Last night, a clash took place.”

But talking to Dawn, Gen Bajwa denied that the construction being undertaken by Pakistan was illegal. “There was no violation. The activity was taking place on our side,” he maintained.

Afghan media said one border policeman, who was identified as Najeebullah, a resident of the Khanadar village of Orgun, was killed in the exchange of fire.

Another military official described it as a local-level tactical incident.

According to a source on the ground, uneasy calm prevails in the area.

Construction along the border has always been a controversial matter. A similar controversy in April 2013 led to a standoff in ties that continued for months.

Published in Dawn, July 2nd, 2015

I believe there is some sort of fence/ditch being built though.

Back
Top Bottom